Author Topic: The Nintendo Wii  (Read 32840 times)

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator
RE: The Nintendo Wii
« Reply #15 on: April 28, 2006, 09:00:27 am »
It's only been less than a day now and I'm warming up to the name, if only because I'm tired of all the complaining about it.

And I probably should've spent last night putting up any's Secret Of The Stars maps instead of reading such drivel.  >_<

With only 12 days to E3, I'm excited that I'll get to see what the real fuss should be about...the games and how to play them.  I don't think that'll disappoint.  :)

Offline Dan

« Reply #16 on: April 28, 2006, 09:09:19 am »
Yikes!  any submitted some Secret of the Stars maps as well?  The plot thickens... </blatentsarcasmthatwillverypossiblybemissedbecausethisistheinternet>

Offline Thraxian

« Reply #17 on: April 28, 2006, 10:58:28 am »
NINTENDO: O Gamers of Wii, we have brought you a new system. Will you play now?

THRAXIAN: It is a good system. I like the controllers particularly,... but there is one small problem.

NINTENDO: What is that?

THRAXIAN: We are now... no longer the Gamers who play 'Wii'.

GAMERS OF WII: Wii! Shh!

THRAXIAN: Shh! We are now the Gamers Who Say 'Ecky- ecky- ecky- ecky- pikang- zoop- boing- goodem- zoo- owli- zhiv'.

(translated: why can't you just call it a Revolution?!)

RANDOM GAMER: Wii!

THRAXIAN: Therefore, we must give you a test.

NINTENDO: What is this test, O Gamers of-- Gamers who till recently played 'Wii'?

THRAXIAN: Firstly, you must find... another name!

[dramatic chord]

Offline CleverConveyence

« Reply #18 on: April 30, 2006, 02:02:28 pm »
rof @ Thraxian

You win, sir!

I digress, I'm warming up to it, too.

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator
« Reply #19 on: May 01, 2006, 01:09:00 pm »
These are the nights we play Wii!

I can never seem to catch all of that film, but I'm pretty sure I get the "Knights who say 'Nii'" reference.

There are theories that it's a joke (perhaps people are hoping so), including that the trademarks weren't registered yet, etc., and their have been rebuttals to those comments, too.  I'm pretty sure it's not a joke, but at E3 we'll know for sure either way, won't we?  :D

Offline Revned

« Reply #20 on: May 01, 2006, 02:30:14 pm »
I wouldn't be surprised if it was a joke. Anyway, I expect up-to-the-minute coverage on E3 when you get there. :P

Offline Inty

« Reply #21 on: May 01, 2006, 02:43:42 pm »
Yeah, it's possibly a hoax to get all attention on Nintendo at the show. <_< That would own.

But it's unlikely.

---

Your browser doesn't support object.
&lt;b&gt;I need &pound;5 paypal to pay subs ._.&lt;/b&gt;

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator
« Reply #22 on: May 01, 2006, 02:53:41 pm »
Revned Said:
I wouldn't be surprised if it was a joke. Anyway, I expect up-to-the-minute coverage on E3 when you get there. :P

Lack of laptop, sorry.

But the hotel has dial-up Internet.  I'll try and say hi here but I can't do much beyond that.  I'll also get a hold of whatever news from the Nintendo conference there is the day before the showfloor is opened up, otherwise you guys would know stuff before I do.

Offline Revned

« Reply #23 on: May 01, 2006, 06:14:35 pm »
I was kidding, Jon ;)

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator
« Reply #24 on: May 01, 2006, 06:27:51 pm »
Well, I forgot that I DO have access to the media facilities, so I actually could throw you some snippets of info while I'm there.  Like I said, though, the big game news sites will have all the info you'll want; I don't think I can get any kind of exclusive scoop.

Offline Waddle Dee

« Reply #25 on: May 03, 2006, 03:57:08 pm »
i sure hope they keep the name "wii" "WIIIIIIIIIIIII" (J/K)

---

http://www.vgmusic.com/music/console/nintendo/snes/Off_da_wall.mid

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator
« Reply #26 on: May 04, 2006, 12:29:59 pm »
I thought it was odd, but I wasn't retchingly hating it.  But in confuses me, not only because of all the jokes about it in the English language, but the fact that there isn't a proper Japanese syllable for it.  The closest is supposedly like the word for "good", which I guess makes sense to them...but really, no syllable?  It'd be like if they named it something in English that like some fantasy characters' names would require a lot of apostrophes for the unpronounceable letters.

Offline Thraxian

« Reply #27 on: May 04, 2006, 01:16:45 pm »
Sounds good.  Let's call it "Xghtzkpf" instead.  Since that's unpronouncable, we can affectionally nickname it the "X-box" instead....no....wait...

Offline Thraxian

« Reply #28 on: May 04, 2006, 01:28:17 pm »
Sorry for the double-post.

<mutter>stinkin edit button</mutter>

I read something on another forum that made me think.  Here's a paraphrase:

Think of the similarities:

- Microsoft Xbox 360

- Nintendo Revolution

What is a revolution, but a 360 degree turn?

Of course, if the similarity was intentional, why wasn't the Sega Saturn followed by the Sony Jupiter or the Nintendo Uranus?  I could see a system being called Jupiter, implying a larger and more prominent system, but something about the idea of plugging a controller or inserting a cartridge in Uranus could be misconstrued...