Author Topic: 2008/04: The Legend Of Zelda: Oracle Of Hours (GBC) - JonLeung  (Read 132661 times)

Offline Fugitivo

RE: 2008/04: The Legend Of Zelda: Oracle Of Hours (GBC) - JonLeung
« Reply #30 on: June 03, 2008, 08:47:31 am »
WOW! JonLeung, I've just known about "Oracle of Hours" and I am REALLY shocked about it. Yu've worked so much! I feel that your work shouldn't be wasted. Has anybody had the idea of creating a fangame with this wonderful maps?

My favourite dungeon is the Hourglass Pyramid! The idea in incredibly awesome. And the new items... The maps are not only well-designed, but, even more difficult, they're well though! It's not easy!!

Congratulations, JonLeung!!!

PD: I've read the two topics about this game, but I'd like to know more about how you designed the game! Could you tell us more things about it!?

PD2: Now, I'm "playing" the game ^_^ hehe

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator
« Reply #31 on: June 05, 2008, 07:59:52 am »
Yay!  Someone's still interested in my work!  Thanks, Fugitivo!

The Hourglass Pyramid is also probably still one of my favourites, despite it being much simpler than the original concept.  I had first imagined it to be a giant (and functional) hourglass in the desert, constructed with pyramidesque blocks.  I would've gone for TerraEsperZ's idea of two pyramids with one stacked on top of the other upside-down giving an overall hourglass-like shape but that didn't work out either, as I had trouble with the perspective on the top half.  I had to settle for a "carved-in-the-cliff-wall" thing when time was (literally) running out.

That choice hopefully didn't take away too much of what the concept for the inside is.  I imagined it to be an hourglass that actually flipped upside down, also with puzzles dependent on the sand level.  If it was in 3D, imagine Ocarina Of Time's Water Temple (with sand instead of water) combined with the last main dungeon in Majora's Mask (the name of it escapes me now, you know, the one that flips upside-down).  But in 2D, you often wouldn't see the ceilings above you (the floor when flipped).  I was overly ambitious with five floors from top to bottom (but when flipped, gave up to ten), which was simplified to three - though now you never see the top "floor", and not much happens in the center room, so it's really more like two main ones.  As you probably guessed, the darker-coloured floors are what you see at night, and the brighter-coloured ones are what you see during the day.  As with all dungeons I filled in the rooms as I went, but I always kept in mind that you would have to come to this dungeon in both day and night to complete it (kind of like the Spirit Temple in Ocarina Of Time being visited twice).  As it is, it's the only dungeon in this game that uses the day/night idea - all the other dungeons can only be visited either during the day or at night but not both.

The sandy areas you see in the center of each floor would've flowed outward as if it were a pile of sand being poured onto at the center (just like inside an hourglass, of course).

At least I still managed to fully pull off something I always wanted to see...Zelda dungeon floors being as round as possible.  I did that by using the circle tool, and then covering the circle I created with the appropriate tiles.  I think they look pretty cool on that alone.

Oh yeah, to answer your other question...I've also gotten two requests to use some concepts from this for fan games.  To anyone else wondering, I'd be fine with that, though if you directly use any of the (few) original tiles, or any particular concepts, it would be nice to mention VGMaps.com, even if it's just a "Special Thanks" in the credits.  That's just common sense courtesy.

Offline Fugitivo

« Reply #32 on: June 05, 2008, 12:37:49 pm »
Waaa~~!! Thanks JonLeung!

I see how you imagined the Hourglass Pyramid first... That idea was wonderful, but I think that what we can see now is still original. The only problem I see is that, except for the sun and moon symbols, there's no way of noticing that it has flipped. Perhaps, colouring the top and the bottom of the hourglass would have helped to recognising it. However, when you enter the dungeon, it's pretty noticeable that you're into a hourglass and that it flips! As you said, the colour of the floor helps ;)

Ah!! I also like the idea of a rounded floor! When I saw it, I though it was a good idea! And it works well ;)

Thanks for your answer ^^! I will be "exploring" these maps! Thanks!

Offline marioman

« Reply #33 on: June 05, 2008, 03:41:32 pm »
Has anybody had the idea of creating a fangame with this wonderful maps?

I have.  Many times.  I just don;t have the skills to make it a reality.

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator
« Reply #34 on: June 06, 2008, 04:16:07 pm »
One problem I had with these maps was that I kept trying to come up with puzzles in every room - I kept forgetting that Zelda dungeons can simply have rooms with a few enemies and therefore require no special floor layout.  The Clock Tower was the first dungeon made, and I think it has too many puzzles in it.

On the other hand, I didn't want the rooms to be too plain - I expect that Proodyl's Fortress would have a lot of tough enemies in it, but it does seem rather plain when enemy sprites are meant to be excluded from the map.  I should've put some pots before the final boss room - Zelda games are usually nice to offer some chance of restoring a few hearts and bombs/arrows/other "ammo" just before a boss.  I almost didn't expect to do Proodyl's Fortress at all, but I managed to do the whole thing in only a few hours.

Offline osrevad

« Reply #35 on: June 07, 2008, 01:57:04 pm »
The more I look at these maps the more amazed I am. I can't fathom how much time it took to design and make all of this, including the all of those dungeons.

As for a fangame, I think Zelda Classic would make it a possibility. I know it allows for multiple overworlds, so it would be possible to make it so you can teleport in between a day and night world. I'm sure they already have a link's awakening tileset, ant they most if not all of the items.

Offline marioman

« Reply #36 on: June 07, 2008, 02:32:26 pm »
Woah, that Zelda Classic program is really neat.  I will have to check you that Mega Man quest that they have for it.  Thanks.

Offline osrevad

« Reply #37 on: June 07, 2008, 03:29:31 pm »
I've been doing some research on it this afternoon. They have a GameBoy tileset for the editor on the website. The only problem I can see far is that the GameBoy has 10x8 tile screens. Because Zelda Classic is based on the NES engine, it has 16x10 tile screens.

Offline marioman

« Reply #38 on: June 07, 2008, 04:04:45 pm »
Play the Mega Man ZC game!  If the Battle Network games were like this, I would probably be the biggest BN fan around.

Offline ELaimo

« Reply #39 on: June 13, 2008, 02:20:22 pm »
I loved the Oracle games, and Link's Awakening, and after I played through them all again, I desperately wanted something new. Then I found this and was amazed. It's great!

Offline Javlon

« Reply #40 on: August 17, 2008, 09:33:52 pm »
Aw man, I was so sad when I found out this game wasn't real! It seemed like such a cool game, especially the Flipping hourglass shrine!

Okay, If anyone makes a downloadable fangame of OoH, email it to me at seizuresalad@roadrunner.com.

I made this account just so I could post this!

Oh, and Mr. Jon Leung...

If no~one makes a game, can I take your hourglass building idea and incorperate it into my manga?

Example of my art: javlon.deviantart.com

Oh, and my manga isn't a LoZ fanmanga, I just thought the hourglass idea was cool.

Offline bigfefan

« Reply #41 on: August 18, 2008, 06:51:48 pm »
This can become a game if I knew what kind of software to use. Also, I may be able to make my own map if I knew what Jon used to make this one. Somebody pleeeeeeeeease tell me how to make these maps!!!!!

Someone is trying to do a similar thing. She's making a Game Boy version of Majora's Mask, and it employs a day/night type of thing.

bigfefan@gmail.com

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator
« Reply #42 on: August 19, 2008, 07:02:37 am »
I used nothing fancy.  I used a crappy old version of Paint Shop Pro (it doesn't even have a gridline guide, I meticulously aligned every tile by hand!), and used tiles from the other Oracle games as mapped by Revned and TerraEsperZ.  I recall using more from Seasons than Ages on the overworld.

Offline vorpal86

« Reply #43 on: August 20, 2008, 05:24:40 pm »
Ahh yes, this looks splendid. I never checked this one before. It could almost pass for a real GBA game even though it isn't. It actually looks more like Zelda Links Awakening DX. That's what it resembles anyway. I haven't played hourglass for DS yet though, but would like to.

At any rate, if you are still working on this I'd like to see the final map. I was about 2 hours or less away from finishing Minish Cap, but lost my save file. Dang it! Now it'll take a while to get back, but the Zelda games have always had good play fun so I may play it again sometime.

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator
« Reply #44 on: August 20, 2008, 09:00:11 pm »

What "final" map?  (Isn't it complete as it is?)

This was an April Fool's Day joke, it's August now.  I was more than done with it by then, having spent every day since last December on it.  :P

And it's meant to be like the other two Zelda Oracle games on the Game Boy Color, not Advance.