Author Topic: PC Engine Maps  (Read 15144 times)

Offline Will

PC Engine Maps
« on: May 16, 2008, 02:17:13 am »
Has anyone ever heard of the console PC Engine? I have been doing a little research and I believe it is more or less the same as Turbografx-16. The emulator that I use to rip maps from games is called "Magic Engine". It has a similar method of toggling Sprite and Background layers like the Super Nintendo emulator "Zsnew142".

The PC Engine game I am currently mapping is "Ninja Gaiden", similar to the NES & SNES versions by genre and storyline (Yes it's got the Demon statues and that incident with Ryu's father) only the game has square power rechargers replaced by round ones. The graphics are outstanding compared with the SNES version, and sadly you can't follow the storyline very well because its all in Japanese. I have just attached a sample of a completed map. Enjoy.

Offline Will

RE: PC Engine Maps
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2008, 02:18:55 am »
I know this is a double post but I just decided to show a second map to give my point why I think this version of Ninja Gaiden is so great.

Offline Revned

« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2008, 02:33:12 am »
PC Engine is just the Japanese name for the Turbografx 16. Looks pretty good to me so far, good luck with the rest.

Offline ReyVGM

• Game Endings Master
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2008, 03:07:50 pm »
The Magic Engine let's you enter cheats now, on the official forum there are cheats for almost every game now.

With such cheats, making maps should be easier since you don't have to worry about dying or getting hit.

Offline DarkWolf

« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2008, 03:43:44 pm »
I've used Magic Engine for years.  It's the only way I can play my Valis II & III CDs, since I don't actually have a TG-16 or PC Engine.

Offline Will

« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2008, 06:38:20 am »
Here is another completed map of Ninja Gaiden. Sorry about the fact I am now sending maps via the forum, but my Outlook Express is getting bugged and I'd rather not miss a week without sending maps, so only your favourites like Ninja Gaiden I will send.

Offline Will

« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2008, 06:38:50 am »
I am afraid I can only send one attachment at a time.

Offline Will

« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2008, 06:40:00 am »
That's the last attachment I have in store for now, but I will get more Ninja Gaiden finished soon and I will have Outlook Express fixed in good time.

Offline TerraEsperZ

« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2008, 06:49:27 pm »
Amazing how great this version of the game looks, compared to the one in the trilogy for the SNES. Then again, that cart was an abomination, with barely improved graphics and worse music than the original.

Anyway, I hope you also map the final demon boss because I'm curious to see how it looks compared to the NES, even though it's not a real stage as such.

---

"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably." [...] The first time any man's freedom is trodden on, we're all damaged. - Captain Jean-Luc Picard

Current projects: Sonic CD (Sega CD), Mega Man V (GB), Mega Man Zero (GBA), Battletoads (NES)
Current project that are on hold because job burnout :
-Drill Dozer (GBA)
-Sonic 3D Blast (Genesis)
-Naya's Quest (PC)

Offline vorpal86

« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2008, 12:58:51 am »
About these PC Engine (Turbo Graphix 16) maps. they are good. They are pretty simple maps and the work. I noticed there isn't many TG16 - PCEngine game maps posted here.

About a year or so ago I started mapping Cadash for the TG16 Graphics console but didn't finish much of it. I stil have the snaps of the first cave laying in a folder, but haven't compiled them. There are many good TG16 games I think that need to be mapped.

I  played this version of Ninja Gaiden. I must say it was nice to play it. Also as TerraE said, I also think the SNES version of the trilogy was a bad  remake. I too think the music sounded much better than most of the SNES remade versions. Mostly because I think they used the wrong instruments for the remakes. Also on a few levels like the desert level, and the train level they did not include the scrolling BG's. That's raw man...considering the NES didn't actual allow scrolling bg's without extra programming tricks.

This music made some of the coolest sounding music for the SNES like Lufia 1 and 2, Chrono Trigger, and especially FF2(J4) look and sound very bad. Gives those game tunes a bad rep. gimme a break, I know the music could have been better.

Offline Will

« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2008, 12:24:32 am »
Personally I'd like to know why Tecmo never got around to making Ninja Gaiden 2 & 3 for PC Engine, I mean why stop there at Ninja Gaiden? Most music tracks do sound bad in the SNES version because I detect a Glocken like instrument which spoils the mood of fights and rushes. Also in SNES Ninja Gaiden 2 in Act III Scene 1 the darkness flash effect which was in the NES version vanished. The music track I like best in the SNES version is the one in Ninja Gaiden II, Act V Scene 2/Act VII Scene 1. Even worse for SNES music in games is Fatal Fury Special ugh!

Offline vorpal86

« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2008, 01:44:09 am »
I also like the Game Gear Ninja Gaiden Game. It was actually considerably different that it had a different story, and the levels were different. I got near to the end of the game but lost my save file and never went back to play it again. (sigh..)

On the topic of Game Gear, I notice that Axe Battler - Golden Axe maps are not here either at vgmaps.com. I have actually mapped The First World (Firewood and each town on the Map including the castle), The first cave, and was about ready to compile the screens of the last level sceeen on the Firewood World map.

I did these maps even before I found out about vgmaps. Matter of fact I have several unfinished maps I did just for the sake of doing them to pass the time away. It started first when I couldn't find a map of the Raging Sea map in the game Crystalis. Now i have several towns in Crystalis and the first area mapped, and the caves. I then found out there was some good maps at rpgclassics.com which the shrine was incomplete and only went up to a certain area in the game.

I am babbling, so I'll catch you ins' later.