Author Topic: RE: I want a Wii, and Nintendo doesn't want me to have one  (Read 37868 times)

Offline Revned

RE: I want a Wii, and Nintendo doesn't want me to have one
« Reply #15 on: June 01, 2008, 07:30:28 pm »
What about Zelda? You should get both Twilight Princess and Wind Waker if you haven't played them. And if you expect to play with friends often, Smash Bros. is a must. As for Gamecube, I'd recommend Eternal Darkness, Star Wars: Rogue Squadron 2, Super Mario Sunshine, and Pikmin 1 or 2.

I don't think you'd be a Metroid Prime fan, unless you have an FPS obsession you never told me about. I thought the first two were fairly entertaining, but I never finished either of them.

Offline Maxim

« Reply #16 on: June 02, 2008, 02:43:46 am »
Games I've enjoyed on Wii:

- Super Mario Galaxy. Best Mario ever.

- Super Paper Mario - more Mario

- Bully - silly GTA-like sandbox game, with surprisingly good story and characterisation

- Kororinpa - Japanese marble rolling. What more do you need to know?

- Dr. Mario (WiiWare) - it's just Dr. Mario, you either love it or think it's "meh". This one you can play online.

- Mario Kart Wii - just for the online fun. I actually suck at this game.

Games I've been disappointed by:

- Zelda TP - I'm not a Zelda fan (or any RPG for that matter), so I find it rather gruelling and slow.

- Wii Sports - fine for playing with family but as a gamer I find it all too vague and imprecise.

- Metroid - again, it really helps to be a fan of the series.

- Rayman Raving Rabbids - if you think the videos of it on YouTube are hilarious then you'll like the game. If a deformed rabbit saying "AAAAARGH" stops being funny the 10th time, maybe not for you.

- Elebits - great fun for about 3 hours, then it's dull.

The most important thing to do with your Wii is to NOT connect it via the bundled component cable. Get whatever you can in your country (RGB over SCART here, probably "component" there) to make it not be a rainbow-hued fuzzy wrong-colour wobbling mess.

Well, that and get it connected to the internet, but that goes without saying.

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator
I want a Wii, and Nintendo doesn't want me to have one
« Reply #17 on: June 02, 2008, 07:14:17 am »
Super Smash Bros. Brawl.  Obviously.

The Trauma Center games are awesome.  Surgery is more fun than it ought to be.  Turbulence, dark tunnels, time bombs, toy locks, manmade pathogens, the scenarios and story are certainly NOT what you would see on an episode of ER.

Super Paper Mario is awesome.  It's like oldschool platforming with a neato "3D rotation" twist and the humour and RPG elements taken from the Paper Mario RPGs.

Look up Zack & Wiki on GameTrailers.com.  It's another one of those underappreciated games.  Think point-and-click adventure with Wii Remote motion controls when using items.  It's like Eternal Darkness, Beyond Good & Evil, and Psychonauts in that people won't stop saying how awesome it is so in some circles you might hear too much about it yet some groups of people have no idea.

(In the same vein, they say Okami's like that.  That game with the dog and the inkbrush to do attacks or spells or something, now with Wii controls?  I have yet to try this out myself, though.

I also haven't played No More Heroes, but it's developed by the same guy who did Killer7 (GameCube), one of the most uniquely demented games out there, that I want to make time for it.  Since you'll be able to play GameCube games, try Killer7 one day, too.)

In general anything published/developed by Nintendo is good, though I personally have not yet tried Excite Truck, Wii Play, or Mario Kart Wii yet.  Ask me about anything else by Nintendo, and I've likely played it (and loved it).

Get the Wii connected to the Internet.  I had mine connected with the official wireless USB connector ('cause I had it before for my DS) but personally I find the wired connection better (using the LAN Adapter that you stick in one of the back USB ports).  Either way you have to buy a part from Nintendo, you can't just stick the ethernet cable straight into the Wii.  >_<

Then you can purchase WiiWare games, which are new games like Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles: My Life As A King, which my brother absolutely loves.  (It's like a city management sim where you send out parties of adventurers to dungeons to play Final Fantasy for you.)  It's surprisingly deep and good-looking for a downloadable game, it looks like it could've sold well even if put on a disc.  Takes up a lot of room on your Wii, but if you don't plan on getting any VC games, then you'll be more than okay.

Offline Maxim

« Reply #18 on: June 02, 2008, 08:10:10 am »
I forgot Excite Truck. For a low-rated launch title, it's amazing fun and doesn't look half bad. Wii Play is rather weak - look at it as a freebie demo disc with a Wiimote, or a cheap "casual" game to play with non-gamers, like Wii Sports.

I don't see the reason to mess around with USB LAN adaptors or USB Wifi bridges - just get a proper wifi router and everything works. if you don't have a router at all then you're nuts, exposing a computer to the internet without a decent NAT/firewall device is a really bad idea.

Offline Rew

« Reply #19 on: June 03, 2008, 08:38:00 am »
Brawl and Mario Kart Wii I find sufficiently addictive.

And of course if you haven't played it yet, I highly recommend Twilight Princess. And if you want to scrounge around for a Wii Zapper, I hear Link's Crossbow Training is a nifty time killer as well.

As for GameCube games, meh, too many to list. I think the folks above have chimed in well enough. ;0)

---

"So this is what it's like..."

- Spark Mandrill
From the Super Smash Bros. Brawl board on GameFAQs:
The only Fox News we're interested in is breakthroughs in his metagame.

Offline TerraEsperZ

« Reply #20 on: June 16, 2008, 01:51:50 pm »
Finally, my Wii has been ordered through Amazon.ca. Would you believe that the very next day after noticing they had some, the day I was ready to order one, they ran out of stock? I've been checking on local stores ever since, and I was unlucky enough that the two times I was told they would have some for sure, I was out of town and thus couldn't go.

Anyway, it should get here in a couple of days. Games and accessories of course are not a problem.  Every store in town is overrun by them.

---

Current projects:

Ristar-The Shooting Star (Gen): Up To Planet Sonata, Round 4-1

Sonic The Hedgehog (Gen): Up To Spring Yard Zone, Act 2

Sonic CD (Sega CD): Almost Up To Quartz Quadrant Zone, Act 1

Mega Man Zero (GBA): Up To Neo Arcadia Shrine, Missing Overworld

Battletoads (NES): Missing Turbo Tunnel, Surf City & Volkmire's Inferno

Bucky O'Hare (NES): Up To Blue Planet, Act 6
Current project that are on hold because job burnout :
-Drill Dozer (GBA)
-Sonic 3D Blast (Genesis)
-Naya's Quest (PC)

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator
« Reply #21 on: June 16, 2008, 01:59:00 pm »
Let me know if you do get Brawl and are hooked up online.  For the fastest-selling Nintendo game ever, I'm surprised I don't have a single Friend Code from anyone for that yet.  >_<

Though I may put SSBB on hold (I kind of already have), as I'll be borrowing a friend's PS2 soon, and catching up on last generation's games on the non-Nintendo side of things, so I may be asking about games to rent/borrow for that...  :P

Offline TerraEsperZ

« Reply #22 on: June 16, 2008, 02:09:00 pm »
I doubt it, as I really, *really* have no interest in fighting games, even those starring classic Nintendo characters. Doubly so for sucking immensely at them. Memorizing button combinations for attacks and combos is bad enough, but having no worthwhile reflexes is even worse.

Unless you can convince me the single player mode is good enough to warrant a purchase, with the multi player mode being a nice bonus.

---

Current projects: Ristar-The Shooting Star (Gen), Sonic The Hedgehog (Gen), Sonic CD (Sega CD), Mega Man Zero (GBA), Battletoads (NES), Bucky O'Hare (NES)
-Drill Dozer (GBA)
-Naya's Quest (PC)

Offline Eggz

« Reply #23 on: June 16, 2008, 04:13:20 pm »
Well I'm just glad you finally managed to get ahold of it. Have fun.

---

This looks like a job for Science!
This looks like a job for Science!

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator
« Reply #24 on: June 16, 2008, 04:28:42 pm »
Well, what I was looking forward to Brawl most was actually the single-player story mode, The Subspace Emissary.  I knew that the multiplayer would mostly be the same experience (as Melee), other than new characters and new arenas, and that I would surely get my butt kicked.

While some parts of Subspace Emissary do seem like silly fan-fiction, overall I liked the story, though the end was weak.  And I guess I should clarify; I like the cut-scenes in Subspace Emissary, but the actual gameplay, the platforming got repetitive, especially near the end when they artificially lengthen the gameplay by having you revisit many of the game's previous locales.  However, I played all of it before touching multiplayer (because my brother was studying at the time), so it was actually a good chance to learn how to use characters I wouldn't usually consider, so at least the first time around, it didn't seem too bad.

And the stickers and trophies and the "Chronicle" are meant for oldschool fans, you can't not love all the history in this.  You might not care who these nobodies from Donkey Kong Barrel Blast are, but I'm sure you'll find someone in there you thought Nintendo long forgot about.

Have you even played Super Smash Bros. or Super Smash Bros. Melee, Terra?  You don't need to memorize button combos, really.  Moves are just pressing a certain direction + A or B...it's easy to learn, though there are subtleties to master...auto-handicap makes matches more fun when you have a bunch of people playing with different skill/experience levels.

Offline TerraEsperZ

« Reply #25 on: June 24, 2008, 11:59:50 pm »
Finally installed my Wii today after throwing the extended family out (it was nice to have them for the holiday but I need a weekend to myself every once in a while). Made a Mii just for the heck, because the bugger sure is ugly. Connecting it to the Internet might take a few days until I can get to a game store (and get a GameCube controller and memory card too, to see if that scratched Sonic Adventure DX disc was worth the 5$ I paid for it).

I did play Super Mario Galaxy for the last several hours and I will honestly say I don't think I've ever had this much fun with a game since, well... ever! Some people say that they preferred Super Mario 64 to this, but I completely disagree. I hated more than half of the worlds from SM64, and found many of the missions boring and tedious. True, I'm not that far along (also completed all the stars from the first two domes) but so far it's almost perfect :)

I also bought NiGHTS: Journey Of Dreams despite reviewers rating it as inferior to the original one, since this is most likely my only chance to experience a real NiGHT game (though there are rumors of an updated version of the original coming to PCs in the future via Steam or something similar). Apparently, the game is played best with the Classic Wii controller, which saddens me a bit because it means another purchase; I'm not made of money you know!

---

Current projects: Ristar-The Shooting Star (Gen), Sonic The Hedgehog (Gen), Sonic CD (Sega CD), Mega Man Zero (GBA), Battletoads (NES), Bucky O'Hare (NES)
-Drill Dozer (GBA)
-Naya's Quest (PC)

Offline Maxim

« Reply #26 on: June 25, 2008, 02:05:46 am »
SMG has a few tedious missions, ones that come to mind are the "Purple coins on the Battlerock", "Luigi's Purple Coins", the garbage dump stages, and some of the Cosmic Mario races. But compared to the treadmill stage in Super Paper Mario, it's not bad :)

Offline TerraEsperZ

« Reply #27 on: June 25, 2008, 07:01:24 am »
I'm not sure about changing cables, as I don't have a monster TV. It's a simple flat screen 27 inch CRT TV; the only annoying thing I've noticed is the limited vertical resolution, and seeing as my TV can't even do 480p which is the maximum the Wii supports, I'm not ready to "invest" into expensive cables that won't dramatically increase the quality output.

---

-Drill Dozer (GBA)
-Naya's Quest (PC)

Offline Revned

« Reply #28 on: June 25, 2008, 08:15:57 am »
I'm glad you're enjoying it! I too found Super Mario Galaxy more fun than 64, though I have more nostalgia for the latter. I don't have a classic controller, but I think the Gamecube controller works fine. Sure, the d-pad is a little small, but it's not a big deal for me. Try to get a Wavebird they're great.

As for the cables, they're worth it, but never EVER buy cables like that in local stores. They're way overpriced. Just last week I got an HDMI cable for less than $2 online when they retail for over $70 in stores like Best Buy.

Offline Maxim

« Reply #29 on: June 25, 2008, 09:00:11 am »
I play on a non-monster TV too - a CRT I bought second-hand for £40 (that's CA$80) that's probably about the same size as yours. The bundled composite video cable seems fine until you try something better. I noticed colours in SMG that I couldn't see with the bundled cable; it took away all the shimmering, blurriness and colour fringing on high-contrast screens like anything with text; and (if this doesn't sound like a downside) it meant I could actually see some of the pixels on-screen.

Since you're across the pond, your TV (with RGB electron guns in the tube) probably can't accept RGB inputs, but a cable that supports the best  it's got (component, S-video) will be a worthwhile investment, believe me. Moreso if, as suggested, you buy the cheapest one you can get.