Author Topic: RE: I want a Wii, and Nintendo doesn't want me to have one  (Read 37869 times)

Offline TerraEsperZ

I'm been trying to find a Wii somewhere in Quebec City for the past week and I'm starting to think that the Wii is in fact Vaporware, i.e. it doesn't exist. I mean, this is the first console I've wanted to buy since, well, ever (my previous console was a NES that my sister and I received for Christmas as a child) and Nintendo apparently doesn't want my money, or that of many other potential buyer. How can a console so established still not be available in enough number to satisfy demand!?

Every major store in town who has sold Wiis have given me the same answer: we don't accept order/pre-order, and we don't know when we'll get more or even how many but they'll be gone within the hour. Apparently, Nintendo is losing millions in potential sales because people can't find Wiis and eventually give up buying one in frustration. Well I can understand that, especially since without a car, there's no chance for me to ever find one.

---

"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably." [...] The first time any man's freedom is trodden on, we're all damaged. - Captain Jean-Luc Picard

Current projects: ?????? (Gen), Sonic The Hedgehog (Gen), Sonic CD (Sega CD), Mega Man V (GB), Mega Man Zero (GBA), Battletoads (NES), etc
Current project that are on hold because job burnout :
-Drill Dozer (GBA)
-Sonic 3D Blast (Genesis)
-Naya's Quest (PC)

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator
RE: I want a Wii, and Nintendo doesn't want me to have one
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2008, 03:00:55 pm »
Still looking for one?  0_0  What is this, 2006?  :P

By this time in 2006, I had already played it at E3.  :P

And I got it on the first day in North America.  :P

Though my mom was the one who was in line for the pre-order since that was a weekday.  >_>  Thanks, mom!

I'm only finally getting a car this week, so I'm still behind in life-related things like that, so I should shut up...

Offline Revned

« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2008, 03:19:59 pm »
We ended up buying a Wii in Colorado and sending it to our cousins in California just because they're so much harder to find there. I think it has a lot to do with the region. I keep thinking the supplies will increase to meet demand, but they must not be able to make them fast enough. Good luck!

Offline RT 55J

« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2008, 03:50:11 pm »
I remember getting some Wii games as Christmas presents in 2006 but not getting the Wii until a week later. At least we got an Atari Flashback to keep us busy during the time (Pitfall is fun).

---

"its a good day to do what has to be done by me and help my brother to defeat the enemys" - John Freeman

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2008, 04:25:37 pm »
Don't you live in Quebec?

I remember something a few years back about the premier of Quebec complaining to Nintendo that Pok?mon didn't have French names at the time.  Maybe that's why Nintendo doesn't like Quebec.  :P

("La tios" and "Le dyba" sound French to me...  :P)

In French speaking areas, is there any confusion of "Wii" with the word "oui"?

Offline TerraEsperZ

« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2008, 05:27:19 pm »
Nope, because of a little called 'context' :)

And don't get me started on the whole "let's sacrifice babies to Satan to protect French" thing we've got going on right now. At least in Québec the city, it's destroyed any incentive I ever had of seeing movies in theaters (we no longer get any movie in their original language except for art films, and those we do get are increasingly dubbed here with disastrous results, like with Transformers and now Indiana Jones).

Heck, apparently the French Canadian text in Super Mario Galaxy for the most part reads like it was written by our equivalent of rednecks...

Anyway, I want a Wii bad, mostly for Wii Fit (I'm a bit overweight and could benefit from losing 15-20 pounds) but also for a few other titles like Super Mario Galaxy, and maybe a few like NiGHTS: Journey Of Dreams (it's cheap), as well as a few GameCube titles I'm interested in that I've missed seeing as the Wii is backward compatible.

But it doesn't look like Nintendo is going to increase their production output sufficiently for that until after people stop buying them or they introduce a new system. You know, Murphy's law and all...

---

"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably." [...] The first time any man's freedom is trodden on, we're all damaged. - Captain Jean-Luc Picard

Current projects: ?????? (Gen), Sonic The Hedgehog (Gen), Sonic CD (Sega CD), Mega Man V (GB), Mega Man Zero (GBA), Battletoads (NES), etc
-Drill Dozer (GBA)
-Naya's Quest (PC)

Offline Eggz

« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2008, 06:37:42 pm »
Terra, if you're that desperate, I could do some looking around where I live, between all the Future Shops and what not, there should be at least one hiding around the city somewhere. I could pick one up for you and send it to you. It's the least I could do since you sent me the Reboot movie back a while ago, though I'd kinda need to be payed back for this though ^^;

And are you talking about the whole "minorities in Quebec are diluting our culture so we're going to destroy theirs" thing that's been going on lately? (I live over in Ontario; it's all over our news too).

---

This looks like a job for Science!

Offline TerraEsperZ

« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2008, 07:24:43 pm »
Yeah, it's fucking annoying, but the issues is typical in that both sides don't want to compromise. Some Quebecers are overly sensitive and can't tolerate that some people have different customs and heck, can be just plain racist ("damn aliens are stealing our jobs!"), but at the same time you have several vocal minority groups demanding separate rights that go against the established laicism in goverment and our ideals for equality between genders, such as demanding frosted windows in a YWCA (because Hasidic Jewish man are offended at seeing women in a pool), allowing religious symbols in schools and certain public functions such as the Chadri (thereby giving no excuse to those woman who don't want to wear it but are forced to by their families).

I'll summarize my feelings by saying that if you move to a country, you implicitly accept their customs and laws. Certain principles like separation of church and state, equality and opportunity for all and freedom of expression, are non-negotiable. The rest is up to you to do as you please. But coming to a country and trying to import your backward restrictions (I'm deliberately avoiding the word customs because customs aren't the problems, the restrictions they  establish in the names of tradition and/or  religion are) is unacceptable.

Anyway Eggz, that would be neat. I don't know how expensive shipping would be, as that would factor in my decision, but provided it was reasonable, I'd be really thankful for the help :)

---

-Drill Dozer (GBA)
-Naya's Quest (PC)

Offline Eggz

« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2008, 07:33:38 pm »
I'll look into it tomorrow and let you know.

---

Offline TerraEsperZ

« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2008, 07:55:24 pm »
Thank you for being so helpful :)

---

-Drill Dozer (GBA)
-Naya's Quest (PC)

Offline Ryan Ferneau

« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2008, 09:40:11 pm »
Nintendo must have decided that everybody who wanted a THE NINTENDO REVOLUTION already got one, so why bother putting out more?

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2008, 06:56:50 am »
It was easier to go shopping when Nintendo wasn't so popular.  I would go into a games store and be the only one browsing through the GameCube section.

Now whenever I go to look for a video game in the Wii section, I'm fighting off families ogling over Wii Play and Big Brain Academy.  Meanwhile, I'm like, "make room!  I just need to grab Metroid Prime 3: Corruption!"  >_<

Offline TerraEsperZ

« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2008, 05:46:46 pm »
Apparently, Amazon.ca has some Wii in stock, so for a variety of reasons, I'll most likely order from them.

So far, I'm interested in a few specific games (like I said previously, Super Mario Galaxy, Wii Fit, NiGHTS: Journey Of Dreams, Sonic and the Secret Rings), but I'm interested to hear reviews for other games people have brought.

Like Metroid Prime 3: Corruption for example; I never played the first two so I have no idea what to expect from this one. I've also heard that Rayman Raving Rabbids is really fun. So suggest away everyone, as well as what potential options and peripherals I might like (Virtual Console doesn't interest me, since I pretty much already get my fix through emulation, with the added bonuses of savestates).

---

Current projects: ?????? (Gen), Sonic The Hedgehog (Gen), Sonic CD (Sega CD), Mega Man V (GB), Mega Man Zero (GBA), Battletoads (NES), Bucky O'Hare (NES)
-Drill Dozer (GBA)
-Naya's Quest (PC)

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: June 01, 2008, 07:11:16 pm »
Zack & Wiki.  Go.

Offline TerraEsperZ

« Reply #14 on: June 01, 2008, 07:21:11 pm »
How bout a description of the gameplay and why it's so great? Please :)?

---

Current projects: ?????? (Gen), Sonic The Hedgehog (Gen), Sonic CD (Sega CD), Mega Man V (GB), Mega Man Zero (GBA), Battletoads (NES), Bucky O'Hare (NES)
-Drill Dozer (GBA)
-Naya's Quest (PC)