Author Topic: I FINALLY have a car!  (Read 10001 times)

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator
I FINALLY have a car!
« on: June 03, 2008, 10:04:44 pm »
As all my friends whom I've been bumming rides off of for 12 years would say: about time!

I actually got it a week ago today but didn't think to post it here yet.

User posted image

Note the Autobrand:

User posted image

I got that today, heh.

Offline TerraEsperZ

RE: I FINALLY have a car!
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2008, 10:12:48 pm »
You are such a *nerd*!

...And I mean that in the best, most encouraging way :D

---

"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably." [...] The first time any man's freedom is trodden on, we're all damaged. - Captain Jean-Luc Picard

Current projects: ?????? (Gen), Sonic The Hedgehog (Gen), Sonic CD (Sega CD), Mega Man Zero (GBA), Battletoads (NES), Bucky O'Hare (NES)
Current project that are on hold because job burnout :
-Drill Dozer (GBA)
-Sonic 3D Blast (Genesis)
-Naya's Quest (PC)

Offline Revned

« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2008, 10:42:41 pm »
Congrats. I'll probably get a new car when I graduate in a couple years. Mine, being used, seems to have new problems every month. It also gets a pretty low gas mileage. I might look into hybrids, though they're still pretty pricey.

Offline osrevad

« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2008, 11:04:53 pm »
Congratulations on the new car. I really don't know how I'm ever going to afford one myself, let alone one that apparently transforms into a giant robot.

Offline TerraEsperZ

« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2008, 12:04:42 am »
In a way, I envy you, but in another, I really don't.

I'll admit that having a car of my own would do wonder for my autonomy; it would make things like visiting friends and family, as well as shopping and doing social activities far from my apartment much easier. As it is, I only ever shop in one mall, the closest one which is within 30 minutes of travel by city bus (45 minutes on foot); for anything else the bus network just isn't efficient enough. I mean, an hour and a half (if I'm lucky) just to go to Wal-Mart? To hell with that! Sure, I could simply rent a car with one of those car rental cooperative, but I'm just so used to doing without that I just don't think about it. Same thing with using a taxi. So yeah, having a car would be nice.

At the same time, I don't have much use for one. For one thing, going to work takes me 10 minutes on foot. Second, almost all the essential services I could need are located inside my city block, within 5 minutes walking distance: two convenience stores, a pharmacy, a pet shop, a pet clinic, a bank, a hospital, an eye doctor, two bakeries, a hardware store, a community activity centre as well as several exotic and fast-food restaurants. And within 15 minutes walking distance, you can add two grocery stores, a video rental, a dentist, a hair salon for men, a pub, a bar, a small shopping mall (with nothing interesting in it, but still) as well as several bus terminal leading to every corner of the city. Plus, there's the fact that I'm used to not factoring a car inside my budget. Most people will  adjust their various life expenses to fit their pay, so even though I make a pretty good salary, having a car would mean making drastic cuts in my day to day expenses, which I'm afraid I'm not ready to do.

Right now, I think the only way I'd ever own a car in the foreseeable future would be by winning one in a contest (which is very unlikely)...

Anyway, congratulations on making the jump yourself :)

---

"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably." [...] The first time any man's freedom is trodden on, we're all damaged. - Captain Jean-Luc Picard

Current projects: ?????? (Gen), Sonic The Hedgehog (Gen), Sonic CD (Sega CD), Mega Man Zero (GBA), Battletoads (NES), Bucky O'Hare (NES)
Current project that are on hold because job burnout :
-Drill Dozer (GBA)
-Sonic 3D Blast (Genesis)
-Naya's Quest (PC)

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2008, 07:08:10 am »
I had been fine with not having a car, but in the past year I started going to church, and from there being more social, not just church small group but other things too.  I'd been bumming rides from my friends for over a decade, and now that someone had to take me there and back every week I felt like a real freeloader.  Then for work, the office I work at moved to Sherwood Park (which is just outside of Edmonton) so I couldn't rely on the buses anymore.

Being 28 and not driving in Edmonton, which is apparently the most car-dependent Canadian city, is kind of pathetic, even if most people understand the costs of a vehicle.  I could get away with it if I was in my early twenties, but now with most of my friends having driven for years, many living on their own, some engaged or married, and a couple having two kids, I felt I should at least step up.  :P

At this point I could finally afford to pay for the whole car all at once out of my own pocket, as well as a year of insurance, while still having some savings (not counting my RRSPs).  So I went for it.  It helps to have a dad who's a good haggler.  ;)

Offline Eggz

« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2008, 12:03:08 pm »
Nice going Jon! What model/make is it? I'm pretty sure you mention it somewhere before, but I can't seem to recall it offhand.

Before I even look into getting a car, I should probably look into getting my driver's license first, eh? Even though I don't plan to start diriving anywhere anytime soon (we have a really great bus system here and everything I need or places I go to are within 30-45 minute ride away), it would be good to have it at least for ID purposes...

And a friend of mine would kill you to get that grill decal. :P

---

This looks like a job for Science!
This looks like a job for Science!

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2008, 04:01:35 pm »
He could just buy it off of eBay like I did.  :P  The decal, I mean.

This car is a 2008 Mazda3.  Zoom zoom!

I saw Autobot car set covers on eBay a few times, but now that I actually want to buy them I can't find them anymore. WTF.

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2008, 07:28:04 pm »
Obviously, I found them.

The second phase of transforming this into an Autobot is complete:

User posted image

What's next?  Steering wheel cover?  Brake/gas pedals?