Author Topic: Wario Land 2 (GB)  (Read 70968 times)

Offline The Ultimate Koopa

RE: Wario Land 2 (GB)
« Reply #30 on: June 22, 2008, 11:26:54 am »
They are negative (inverted) and you can see a few of them fitting together. Wario Land 2 is easier, since it doesn't have the same vertical scrolling as most games. It shifts one screen at a time.

Offline Revned

« Reply #31 on: June 22, 2008, 02:05:04 pm »
One could possibly fit a couple of them together, but like we've mentioned, it would be a lot easier to start over completely. A folder full of unmarked, inverted screens is useless without reference. When I map, I do it as I'm playing through the level, not afterwards. This way I can see exactly where things fit together and can take extra screenshots if necessary. And, like Terra mentioned, you'd probably be better off mapping from the emulator, not from the map viewer. Either find a way to disable sprites or manually remove them, don't just fall back on the viewer.

« Reply #32 on: June 22, 2008, 04:12:08 pm »
I simply played through the level and every few steps, I'd go to "Tools > Map Viewer > Save" <_< But it'll be easier, as you say, to just take actual screenshots, right?

« Reply #33 on: June 25, 2008, 05:08:45 am »
<_< >_> Do I have to still e-mail the finished map of 1-4 to Jon before it's uploaded, or has he already got the map ready for the next update(s)?

Offline Maxim

« Reply #34 on: June 25, 2008, 05:55:27 am »
It helps to email. Jon can't be watching every thread to see what maps are final.

« Reply #35 on: June 25, 2008, 02:57:25 pm »
Before I e-mail, should I add some kind of indication of where the level starts?

Offline Will

« Reply #36 on: June 25, 2008, 09:58:03 pm »
You can add an indication of where the level starts if you want to, simply by putting the player (Wario in this case) on the starting point. You can easily capture a screenshot of his starting position. In many games I don't see why I have to add the player at the starting point. I only do it in the Prince of Persia games to preserve its style. Pick your choice and I'm sure either way your maps will turn out well and look good when put up.

« Reply #37 on: February 04, 2009, 10:00:21 am »
God damn it, it turns out I've only missed one room.

« Reply #38 on: February 05, 2009, 11:46:42 am »
This place is dead. First post on VGMaps.com's entire forums in nearly 25 hours? ZOMG!

Offline TerraEsperZ

« Reply #39 on: February 05, 2009, 04:44:24 pm »
Well, people have lives you know. There used to be time when the forum would be dead all weekend when I was home alone, and full of activities on those few weekends where I was away and busy. It was frustrating like hell.

As for your last few posts, which room did you miss?

---

Current projects: Bucky O'Hare (NES), Metal Storm (NES), Clock Tower (SNES), Ristar-The Shooting Star (Gen), Sonic The Hedgehog (Gen), Sonic CD (Sega CD), Mega Man Zero (GBA), Battletoads (NES)
Current project that are on hold because job burnout :
-Drill Dozer (GBA)
-Sonic 3D Blast (Genesis)
-Naya's Quest (PC)

« Reply #40 on: February 05, 2009, 05:30:13 pm »
Well you know that small room with door "D"? which comes from the 'hidden' door in the last big room with the goal? At the bottom, see those coins with a 'gap' and a white letter D? Well further left, there's another gap, with another door (which I should label "E"). The room inside is directly the opposite of "D", in the sense that everything is swapped from left to right, i.e. the 6 coins are now on the right, and the door is on the left. This is why I sometimes think we need some king of thing so we can see all the rooms in the game, like an editor, because there's bound to be parts we've missed. For example in the 1st stage, Captain Drake missed a small part of the level in the 2nd room with doors "A" "B" and "D" and the mouse at the beginning, at both ends where the coins are outside of the 'room', there's a part that you can pound and access more coins below. The part you pound is one 'block' from the edge (the far edge that is), and you come up via small platforms which you then need to break through the floor nearer the 'opening'. Another example is in the 3rd level. In the 3rd room, entered via room "B", with the 6 big coins above the ceiling, there's a part where you need to duck-jump to fit through a small gap, to the right. I think those are the only parts I can see that are missing.

Offline Peardian

• Busy busy
« Reply #41 on: February 05, 2009, 11:22:41 pm »
Agreed. The Wario Land games have lots of juicy secrets that make mapping it exciting. There are several secrets in the WL4 levels I've mapped so far that I would have never found if it weren't for being able to disable layers. I don't think you have the luxury of that with the first three games, though.

---

YTT (34%) - WL4 (64%) - PM (36%) - YI (11%) - SMRPG (0%)
MM (10%) - SMA3 (33%) - DNS (0%)

Come check out the Nintendo 64 Mapping Workshop!

Offline Maxim

« Reply #42 on: February 06, 2009, 02:35:25 am »
Games with a lot of secrets basically require either an official guide (which would be based on information from the developers and likely to be complete), a reverse-engineering of the level format, or a hack (like showing things when disabling layers) to make things easier. I ripped a few maps of James Pond II before discovering that it has an insane number of secrets and not even any decent FAQs to work from. Reverse-engineering a level format can be a huge amount of work, although if it's held uncompressed and complete in memory you might get lucky.

« Reply #43 on: February 06, 2009, 06:52:46 am »
THere is a stage select cheat, however it only allows full stages. E.g. '00' is for the whole of Level 1 (Turn off the Alarm Clock), '18' is for the 25th level (The Final Battle), etc. The highest value is 32 for 51.

Offline Maxim

« Reply #44 on: February 06, 2009, 10:18:47 am »
Because it's hex. I hope you know about level 0a, for example.

There may be a second byte for the "room".