Author Topic: What would you like to see in a VGMaps.com makeover?  (Read 71364 times)

Offline DarkWolf

RE: What would you like to see in a VGMaps.com makeover?
« Reply #30 on: July 28, 2008, 02:56:21 pm »
Rather than do a graphical mock-up, you might want to write what you want in a sort of draft.  Generally, programs or scripts are written to solve problems.  What problems do you have now?  How would you like to fix them?  What extra information do you want to capture? From there the ball should at least start rolling.

Offline Revned

« Reply #31 on: September 25, 2008, 01:30:05 pm »
*crickets*, *tumbleweed*, etc.

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator
« Reply #32 on: September 25, 2008, 02:21:02 pm »
Unfortunately, (as I stated in a hidden topic earlier today) real life takes priority over anything on this site.

This isn't forgotten, but I hope no one is holding their breath for revamp.

Offline Revned

« Reply #33 on: September 25, 2008, 07:57:19 pm »
Sorry to keep bringing this up, I just don't want it to get forgotten. Really, it wouldn't take you long to write up a list of stuff you want. If you did that, you could get some feedback and specific ideas on how to handle it. That way you would have a clearer idea of what this redesign would entail, and how long it would take.

Frankly, I'd much rather see a redesign than another April Fools' map set. I've been holding my breath for a long, long time.

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator
« Reply #34 on: September 25, 2008, 10:02:39 pm »
Well, okay, one thing I was thinking of that I wasn't sure would be too clunky or not would be to somehow categorize the games themselves by series.  For example if someone wanted to just look at Mega Man maps that they could see the whole series.  Or the whole Castlevania series, or the whole Super Mario series, etc.

There must also be some better way to handle remakes/ports/compilations.  Perhaps the map tables (for lack of a better term) could have more information in the title box, like clickable links to see the whole series (as above), or quick links to other versions of the same game?

I don't want there to be too much information, but often looking at the directory as it is now, I often wonder if I make it clear enough what games are available for the expected console, etc.

I want it to be easy to find the maps one is looking for, while still being able to simply browse.

Offline Revned

« Reply #35 on: September 25, 2008, 10:39:38 pm »
The series thing shouldn't be a problem. Just have a 'series name' field in the database and filter by that.

I always thought the directory was a bit too comprehensive. I think all the remakes are distracting, since they're the same font and size as everything else. It would be nice if the maps page had collapsible (or something) sections with additional information, so users don't have to see it if they don't want to.

With a database, you can have searching and sorting, and you can still show your data like a regular web page.

Offline Will

« Reply #36 on: September 26, 2008, 12:56:29 pm »
What are going to be putting up for Halloween since more lodes more maps arrived from then? Last year it was small shots from Scooby Doo, Ghosts n' Goblins and so on. If I ever get Demon's Crest finished in time, that will be a reasonable shot to blend in.

Offline StarFighters76

« Reply #37 on: September 26, 2008, 04:08:11 pm »
*yells into loudspeaker*

Goooooooooood morning VGMaps.com!

Yeah, like you didn't see this coming :)

---

Creator of over 770 maps on GameFAQs. ^_^
Creator of over 4,300 maps on GameFAQs!

Offline DarkWolf

« Reply #38 on: September 26, 2008, 04:38:32 pm »
If you want to categorize map sets, why not have the ability to apply tags to them?

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator
« Reply #39 on: September 29, 2008, 07:01:24 am »
I have Windows Vista on the new computer we bought last month...though I haven't used it much at all, maybe that's saying something...

I noticed that images' metadata (you know, subject, date, location, series, and other numbers and categories and tags and descriptions, etc.) is now more readily accessible in Vista and there are MANY fields to enter information on.  There are bound to be the fields I would want to fill in, and definitely more than enough overall.  Or at least with JPEGs...I'll have to see if PNGs do too.

(One thing I don't like is that changing metadata resaves the file, so that each time I edit it the date is brought back to the current time and date.  Though I suppose I could always use CompuPic to change the time and date back, like I did during that mass PNGGauntleting a couple years back...)

Would it make more sense to integrate the information about the file in the metadata in the file itself?  As opposed to creating a separate and bulky database file?

Offline Revned

« Reply #40 on: September 29, 2008, 08:21:34 am »
Definitely a separate database. Easier to access and maintain, and you wouldn't have to load the metadata every time you load the image.

Offline Rew

« Reply #41 on: September 29, 2008, 08:43:59 am »
Don't know if this has been mentioned yet, but I think it'd be great if new maps were labeled as such. For instance, in the latest update, new maps were added to Yoshi's Island, but of all the many maps for that game already here, I have no idea which ones are the new ones. =P

---

"So this is what it's like..."

- Spark Mandrill
From the Super Smash Bros. Brawl board on GameFAQs:
The only Fox News we're interested in is breakthroughs in his metagame.

Offline Maxim

« Reply #42 on: September 29, 2008, 09:58:50 am »
It'd also be nice to have a "complete" flag for a particular game (even if it's subjective) for those mappers who submit partial sets while they're working through a game.

Offline DarkWolf

« Reply #43 on: September 30, 2008, 04:02:29 pm »
I'm not sure how many of you know how to read an ERD, but I've created a VERY basic one based on some of the things people said already.  An ERD is basically a diagram for databases that explains the relationship between tables.  The user table isn't really filled out as I figure you'll probably want to integrate with some sort of forum software.  It's just a placeholder for now.

User posted image

Some notes:

* Width, height and size are included in the map table for caching purposes.

* Filename in the map table may not be necessary.  Ideally, you'd store the maps on disk with a file name that matches the map id.  You could also use a file type field and an alteration of the map name to generate your HTTP headers.

Offline Maxim

« Reply #44 on: October 01, 2008, 02:25:06 am »
The user_id FK in news is the wrong type. You have no real ability to link game X on platform Y to platform Z which also had game X but isn't mapped yet (if you see what I mean). However, to be honest I think it's better without that.

One thing that might be interesting would be to store topic IDs with the maps, hooked up to the relevant "topic" in these forums (eg. this is topic 777). Maps without a "topic" would have a NULL and the relevant link would go to a "create a new topic" page. That last part would be tricky because it'd require some forum modifications.

Maps need some more fields:

- Ordering number (to allow display in the right order)

- Separate area/subarea text