Author Topic: What would you like to see in a VGMaps.com makeover?  (Read 71348 times)

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator
What would you like to see in a VGMaps.com makeover?
« on: July 15, 2008, 02:21:59 pm »
Loaded question: What would you like to see in a site makeover?

VGMaps.com has been adequate as it is for its purpose, but has been relatively unchanged since it started in 2002.  Sure, in 2006 I gave the site a switch from black to white, and added randomizing thumbnails (which I'm behind in making, and has sloppy code >_>), but there have always been concerns about making a more dynamic, database-driven system (as opposed to static, manually-updated HTML files as the site is now).

I personally would like a system that would be easier to update.  I would also like the site to appear more professional (though a good deal of that would come with a database conversion) - ease of use and aesthetics are my primary concerns.  A database system surely has the benefit of being faster (by not loading up anything unrequested) and would probably allow for the inclusion of a search tool, and everyone can appreciate those.

As many of you know, I'm not exactly a coder.  I admit to not even "getting" PHP.  I barely "get" HTML!  So I'm probably going to want someone (or a few people) I trust to handle the guts of a possible conversion.  And maybe a conversion is easy.  I wouldn't know.  But keep in mind that we have over 10000 maps now, and not all information is included in the filename of each map (ie. mapper and email address).

Other than "databasing" and all related to it, what else would you like to see?  Timestamps for maps?  "New Map" indicators?  Maybe mapper profiles when names are clicked?  Oh, how about ratings for maps, games, and/or mappers?  Or maybe something like better handling of foreign/alternate names of games?  Consistency in handling details like leading zeroes of numbered-stage games or a different (yet more consistent) way of distinguishing/signifying in-game maps, original maps, etc.?  Or do you have ideas on how to make the site look better?  The site could use a bit of a facelift anyway, perhaps a slight redesign of the logo (oooh, 3D rendered, maybe?) and little things like that while we're at it.

I make no promises that anything we discuss in this topic will actually come to pass, but at least we can discuss our options (who, what, and how) so that I may become more inclined to do this, or more trusting of this site in other people's hands, or overcome whatever hang-ups I have about all this, and so that we'll know what to change/add/etc. if/when we actually undertake such a task.

So, what would you like to see in a site makeover?

Offline Grizzly

RE: What would you like to see in a VGMaps.com makeover?
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2008, 03:07:18 pm »
Maybe using collapsing tags (like those that are used for posting spoilers on some boards) for the individual files list of a game, so that the the page itself appears much smaller until you click on a game title you are interested in.

And yeah, databasing would be great. With a search feature :)

Offline Revned

« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2008, 04:53:41 pm »
I know a bit of PHP/MySQL. Heck, I'd take time to learn it more fully if I thought you needed my help, but seeing as how other more experienced coders have offered to help in the past, I don't think that's necessary.

I don't think it would be all that hard to write a parser for the existing HTML pages. It'd only have to be done once, so it wouldn't have to be flawless. Darkwolf already has something that extracts user information for statistics.

The great thing about a database system is that you could easily change the look/layout of the site without having to wade through 1+ MB HTML files. Little things like adding a column to the tables would be a chore right now, but they could be done in <5 minutes with a dynamic content source.

Offline DarkWolf

« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2008, 05:07:32 pm »
Whatever you do make sure that you have a system to keep track of mappers.  That way you can automatically generate statistics and such.  Timestamping the maps upon upload would be a great way to implement the "New Map" indicator and even doing an auto-listing of maps that were uploaded that day.

If you design the tables correctly, you can represent and slice the data numerous ways and create all sorts features.

Whatever you decide to incorporate, make sure you get a clear plan of what you'd like, especially if you are going to bring other people in, as you'll need to convey what you really want out of your site so you don't end up with something you don't want or are unsatisfied with.

That said, I'd be willing to help.  I have experience in such things and I have some simple, but time-saving object sets I could bring to the table.

I'm not terribly great with graphics and making things look pretty, but you always get someone else to do the stylesheets. ;)

Offline KingKuros

« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2008, 08:22:37 pm »
For those interested on when the maps were added, this should help.

http://web.archive.org/web/*/https://www.vgmaps.com

Offline marioman

« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2008, 08:29:24 pm »
I would not like to see ratings.  It makes it look like the mapper or site is taking credit from the game developers.  Not to mention that most people are seeking a specific map to finish a game - not just to look at them.

Offline KingKuros

« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2008, 08:33:06 pm »
How about rating on how useful or helpful the map is?

Offline marioman

« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2008, 08:47:42 pm »
I wouldn't even think that would be beneficial.  Why would you want to know if a map for the Legend of Zelda is helpful if you are really looking for a map for Super Mario World?  You would also be implying that there are some maps on the site that are useless...

Offline Will

« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2008, 10:53:06 pm »
There maybe multiple ways of sorting out games with maps like genre (Adventure, Action, RPG etc), Year the games were made and the companies that made them, but personally I am content with the sorting by Console/Computer method and people should attempt to get used to it. Looking for the game maps you want here is no harder than looking up words in a dictionary. The adjustment I think that could be done is this. You remember I discussed US titles versus European titles, well Jon you thought about putting both titles either side of each other above the map links, you did do that with Megaman 3 Blue and Megaman 3 White, but they must be linked the same way The Legend of Zelda Oracle of Ages & Seasons. There isn't much else that needs doing except probably a clean up of the forum, such as completed requests or maybe topics with little or no replies, but that of course isn't up to me.

Offline Raccoon Sam

« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2008, 03:32:44 am »
'Favourites' page.

Offline snesmaster

« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2008, 03:10:54 pm »
It may be nice to know how many times each map was viewed.  Like e-bay auctions, it would only count each person who viewed it once, and not multiple times if the same person looks at it more then once.  Maybe have a comment section for each map so if someone wanted to make a comment on a specific map they could do that.  Just some thoughts.  Not sure how useful they would be, but thought I would throw them out there for people to consider.

Offline Maxim

« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2008, 03:36:02 pm »
It'd be good to have a strong forum link, like ocremix.org for example, for discussing maps.

Thumbnails would be good.

Offline Eggz

« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2008, 05:40:58 pm »
Having thumbnails for each map would make it even more picture heavy than it already is, and take up an enourmmous amount of bandwith. Does anyone remember when no maps were posted for months becuase of lack there? I don't think that would be enjoyable again.

But I definitely push for the search option. It's would be easier to directly compare maps from a series but on different consoles easier i.e. Zelda, or compare the same game on multiple platforms i.e. Prince of Persia.

A semi-easy way I can think of doing that is to have each different game that we have maps for have its own page with the list of maps found there rather than on the main console page. Keeps the page size smaller, and if the filenames were standardized to be the title of the game, setting the search function to find key words within that shouldn't be too hard.

---

This looks like a job for Science!
This looks like a job for Science!

Offline DarkWolf

« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2008, 05:32:21 am »
You could have some sort of javascript mouse over function for the thumbnails.  Of course you'd want to cache the thumbnails for best results, and that would take some disk space.

Offline Maxim

« Reply #14 on: July 17, 2008, 06:13:38 am »
I make thumbnails for my maps and aim for a few KB each (with blurry JPEG); that, and a common scale between them means that the smaller images end up quite tiny. There need not be a page with 1000 thumbnails on it. I think it helps to locate the map you want without opening them in turn - which will cost more bandwidth overall.

Of course you don't generate thumbnails on the fly. But not having thumbnails for an image-based site seems odd, more so for games where seeing the "whole world" is part of the appeal of the maps.

Standardising filenames, perhaps by generating them from the metadata, seems like a good idea.

3D rendered logos are very 1990s.