Author Topic: JonLeung's Requests  (Read 46606 times)

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator
Re: JonLeung's Requests
« Reply #90 on: March 26, 2024, 11:34:01 am »
zagato blackfist keeps the NES request fulfillment train going with two LJN NES horror games based on slasher films: Friday The 13th and A Nightmare On Elm Street!

I maintain that Friday The 13th is not as bad of a game as so many people make it out to be.  I don't know why I like the repetitive music to it.  That same track is also heard at 0:24 in one of my favourite videos of Felicia Day, "The 8-Bit Haunted Dance Party".
The "Happily Ever After" NES game that was never finished and released has some Friday The 13th music too, as heard here at 5:44 in this video playthrough of that prototype.

A Nightmare On Elm Street is notable for being the only NES platformer with four-player support.  (Most other four-player NES games are sports, other than Bomberman II, Gauntlet II, and Swords & Serpents, I guess.  It's still in rare company.  Speaking of which, it is by Rare Ltd.)

For an upcoming project, I wanted to get all the LJN NES "black box" games, and potentially for a later project, these two games specifically.  So I ordered these two NES cartridges on eBay recently, along with a few other LJN games that I didn't already have.  It'd be a neat coincidence if they arrive today, too!

EDIT: I just NOW got today's mail, and I received the NES cartridges of Friday The 13th and A Nightmare On Elm Street!  What a fluke that I would get the games themselves AND the maps on the same day!  No word of a lie!
(I also got T&C Surf Designs and The Uncanny X-Men, which isn't a coincidence, other than that I have an X-Men/'97 opening comparison YouTube Short that's doing extremely well this week...)  I'd say getting these games on the same day as getting the maps is an even bigger coincidence than the time I bought the "Left Bros." variant of Super Mario Bros. 3 before I realized that the seller I was buying it from is "Two Brothers Games", LOL.  If only I got these games/maps on an actual Friday the 13th from someone who lives on Elm Street, but that'd really be too freaky...
« Last Edit: March 26, 2024, 09:35:21 pm by JonLeung »

Offline dark_lord_zagato@yahoo.co

« Reply #91 on: March 26, 2024, 06:56:23 pm »
That is one spooky coincidence. Even if I had known that you were buying these games I never would have guessed the exact day they would show up in the mail.

Offline TerraEsperZ

« Reply #92 on: March 27, 2024, 04:41:16 pm »
Even weirder coincidence: I've been slowly making my way through Hardcore Gaming 101's Top 47k Games of All Time podcast over the last three years and just yesterday, I listened to their episode on Nightmare on Elm Street for the NES.

I remember starting to map Friday the 13th in 2009, thinking I was clever in handling the "parallax" background by doubling the lenght of every segment. I remember giving up after starting the cave because I really wasn't a fan of game in the end. My goal would have been to try and make a unified map covering the whole game but the way the game is structured, what with featuring several concentric circles, would have made the whole thing quite inelegant.

Anyway, great work as always zagato blackfist, finally providing maps to so many overlooked "classics"!
Current project that are on hold because job burnout :
-Drill Dozer (GBA)
-Sonic 3D Blast (Genesis)
-Naya's Quest (PC)