Author Topic: Mickey Mouse Illusion trilogy  (Read 19500 times)

Offline Will

Mickey Mouse Illusion trilogy
« on: August 31, 2008, 11:08:56 am »
As you know I have finished off Castle of Illusion. There are 2 more games starring Mickey Mouse and I'm starting on Land of Illusion. The games do remind of the Duck Tales games I mapped out. Can't wait to make a collection Disney maps on the site:wink:.

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator
RE: Mickey Mouse Illusion trilogy
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2008, 11:30:30 am »
I remember being impressed by the Genesis version of Castle Of Illusion way back in the day (don't quite remember why)...yet I don't remember if I ever actually played it.

(As you know from my Super NES Game Atlas topic, I'm looking forward to the Magical Quest trilogy...)

(Though why doesn't Disney excite me as much as they used to?  Unless it's a Pixar film (and I'm three behind on those as it is) I hardly notice them anymore...)

Offline Maxim

« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2008, 02:57:15 am »
Disney have stopped making non-Pixar films anyway.

I assume you're talking about the Master System trilogy; there were Mega Drive versions too. Legend of Illusion is the poorest of the three, Land of Illusion is probably the best but not as well-known as Castle of illusion.

Offline Will

« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2008, 07:59:21 am »
I'm glad you think Land of Illusion is better than the other three, because now I've completed it. On exception of the Second Area of the Tiny Castle which is a big bother, having no way to getting to the upper left corner. I'll find out what makes Legend of Illusion as bad as it sounds. Here is a picture of the unfinished level if you could take care of it. Never in SMS games do they seem to have jump cheats or phase through wall cheats.

Offline Maxim

« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2008, 10:29:14 am »
Jump cheats do exist. The SMS never had a Game Genie, just Action Replay, which in those days meant memory pokes (usually infinite X or level selects) but no changing the game code. So it depends on the game whether a "super jump" is possible.

If you'd like me to try to finish it for you, a savestate might help, but only if it's for Meka...

Offline Will

« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2008, 12:24:56 pm »
I've sent you a savestate right inside the Tiny Castle and its precisely for Meka. I think you'll find the only cheats for Land of Illusion are Unlimited Air, Energy, Tries, Time and Level Select, but now I'll just stick with Legend of Illusion.

Offline Maxim

« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2008, 02:07:17 am »
I can make my own cheats :)

Offline Will

« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2008, 03:14:36 am »
I managed to complete Legend of Illusion without a problem. I left out stages not worth mapping that is "Rainbow Wastelands", "Tree of Life" and "King Pete". The most difficult stage for me to map was the "Crystal Forest".

However there is one last SMS Mickey Mouse game outside the trilogy called "Mickey's Ultimate Challenge".

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2008, 06:53:33 am »
Mickey's Ultimate Challenge isn't that great.  At least not the Super NES one from what I remember.

Your Mickey Mouse mapping energies would be better focused on the Magical Quest series on the Super NES.  :P

Not that I wouldn't accept Mickey's Ultimate Challenge maps...Master System or otherwise...just saying...  >_>

Offline Maxim

« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2008, 08:19:34 am »
Did you map the GG or SMS version of Legend of Illusion? The SMS one is a poor TecToy conversion from the GG one and suffers from the colour reduction:

User posted image User posted image

Offline Will

« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2008, 09:24:27 am »
Unfortunately, what I did was the SMS version, which is the picture on the right.  Funny it doesn't look as bad as this when I tried it, but then of course there are different roms and emulators. I don't really feel like doing the GG maps. If someone were to do the GG maps to replace my maps, I wouldn't really care, my maps for a guide for a future mapper is all that matters.

Offline Maxim

« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2008, 10:46:23 am »
In theory, they are just a palette-swap. But you have to hope they didn't map two GG colours to one SMS colour. (The GG has 12-bit colour and the SMS has 6-bit colour.) Having said that, I think I can already see a pale blue and a pale pink both mapped to pure white in the screenshots I posted.

Offline Maxim

« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2008, 02:53:25 am »
Regarding the Tiny Castle problem: there is a tiny-Mickey-sized secret passage to the left of the secret room at the top. The missing central area is harder to map, I have some hacks to reveal it if you want to be super-accurate. ROM addresses 0x3f14e and 0x3f157 seem to control Mickey's starting point (X and Y) in this stage, but in a glitchy way.

Offline Will

« Reply #13 on: September 24, 2008, 11:58:15 am »
Thanks for your directions Maxim, I found the passage and completed the rest of the area. Now the trilogy really is complete. While I was at it, I did the first level of the first stage of "Magical Quest" and boy it was hard, but with the aid of the "moon jump" cheat I could access anywhere.

Offline Maxim

« Reply #14 on: July 02, 2009, 10:03:48 am »
Will, did you try to map hidden treasure chests on your maps? For example, this guide features 25 hidden chests for Land of Illusion, as well as some secret passageways you missed.