Author Topic: Peardian's map projects in progress and planned  (Read 256961 times)

Offline Peardian

• Busy busy
Re: Peardian's map projects in progress and planned
« Reply #60 on: July 16, 2010, 09:14:44 am »
Guess what? I've finished it. I've finally finished it. Mapped the last two levels (single-room bonus games, really) and have already sent them in.

Want to know how long it has taken me? The Date Modified on Map 1-1 is April 20, 2006. Yeah. Finally! I'm done with this bothersome game. Now I can move onto something better... like Stafy!
MM (10%) - SMA3 (33%) - DNS (0%)

Come check out the Nintendo 64 Mapping Workshop!

Offline Will

« Reply #61 on: July 16, 2010, 01:40:47 pm »
I heard you wanted to do Chip's Challenge which differs from your usual Mario games. Which version would you do? The MS-DOS version or the Windows version?

Offline Peardian

• Busy busy
« Reply #62 on: July 16, 2010, 05:05:33 pm »
I have the Windows version and a level editor. Making maps would be as simple as copying and pasting into a template. I did find a full set of maps done using the game's assets on a website, but the webmaster has yet to send a response (if he's even still active anymore). If I don't get a reply before long, I'll just do my own maps.

Offline Trop

« Reply #63 on: July 16, 2010, 06:44:09 pm »
Way to go on YTT.  It must feel great to get 4 year load of your back.

Offline Peardian

• Busy busy
« Reply #64 on: July 20, 2010, 09:26:51 am »
Well, I finished Chip's Challenge. It was more tedious than anything, but still rather enjoyable. I wish the webmaster I contacted had responded, as his maps are a little more visually impressive, but oh well.

Now, which project will I tackle next? SSSV or Starfy? Or both? Hmm.

Offline Rew

« Reply #65 on: July 22, 2010, 08:54:52 pm »
Congratulations on finishing YTT! I've never played it before, but it looks like a quirky little game.

Looking forward to YI's continuation and perhaps OoT's beginning. ;)
From the Super Smash Bros. Brawl board on GameFAQs:
The only Fox News we're interested in is breakthroughs in his metagame.

Offline Peardian

• Busy busy
« Reply #66 on: July 22, 2010, 10:22:46 pm »
It's not a great game, but worth playing even if just for the experience. The soundtrack is really catchy, especially the theme for the Spirit of Speed.

I've started mapping the Mini-Games of Mario Party Advance to get it out of the way before moving on to other projects. I don't really know how many of them there are to do, but I'll know when I finish.

Offline Trop

« Reply #67 on: July 22, 2010, 11:37:27 pm »
Way to go on crushing CC.  I had no idea you could move so fast.  How about just a little preview of an OOT or MM map?

Offline Peardian

• Busy busy
« Reply #68 on: July 23, 2010, 02:03:18 am »
I haven't actually ripped any level models, so the Jpegs and house backgrounds are my only progress. I will be able to start on it once the summer semester ends on August 4th. Until then, I'll work on MPA and the like. Oh yeah, and YI.

Offline Trop

« Reply #69 on: July 23, 2010, 10:46:46 am »
Oh so you're making a library of materials first.  You're well prepared.

Offline Peardian

• Busy busy
« Reply #70 on: July 26, 2010, 01:03:47 pm »
Yesterday I started working on 2-6 and finished it up this morning. Interestingly, I made a small discovery in the process of mapping it. In the cave room, near the beginning where you have to find the hidden cloud containing the door (labeled B on my map), there's a hidden entrance arrow sprite. But, since there are no switches in the whole room, you can never activate it. It would lead to the same place, but still, it's a discovery!

Offline Peardian

• Busy busy
« Reply #71 on: July 28, 2010, 12:42:51 pm »
Well, I just experimented around with SSSV and yeesh. Every animal in the stage has their own coordinates, and those determine where the animal is whether you control it or not. Each animal has multiple coordinates, one defined in terms of tile number and one that increments by 16 for every single pixel you move. Not only that, but these coordinates aren't evenly spaced in memory from other animals or even from each other. Now, this wouldn't normally be a problem, as I can easily map games without hacking my position around the level, but almost every single room in the game loops horizontally and redefines the position of the tiles each time you go through a loop because they're not nice even multiples of 256. The first time I tried mapping it the normal way, I wound up too many columns and had no idea where they were. Oh, and I can't even figure out how to activate the souvenir on the very first level. I put the dead sheep behind the ship and barked at least 50 times and nothing happened.

Someone else can have this project if they want it. I'm dropping it and going to Stafy!

Offline Trop

« Reply #72 on: July 28, 2010, 07:24:09 pm »
First of all is this the N64 or GBC version you're talking about?  Secondly, why not just exclude the major moving parts?  Everybody around here just has to dot their maps with all the original sprites and other junk in whatever area they're mapping, but maps without sprites are OK.  You can display a map just for it's basic geographic value without it being useless.  Even that texture-less SSSV map you already made looks good in my opinion.  I'm not telling you to beat your head against a wall though.  If it's to frustrating you should definitely move on to another project.  BTW: DNS?

Offline Peardian

• Busy busy
« Reply #73 on: July 28, 2010, 09:16:59 pm »
The Gameboy Color version. I'm not really concerned about animal spawning locations, but the fact that I can't even tell where I am in the level, let alone map it properly. I suppose it could be done if someone put a lot of effort and patience into, but a Europe-only port of an already-obscure game is not at the top of my priorities. :P

DNS stands for Densetsu no Stafy. Did you know the first game only has 8-9 levels? I didn't either.

Offline Trop

« Reply #74 on: July 29, 2010, 12:22:28 am »
I checked out the first level and I see what you mean.  It leans on cheap tiles like an NES game and the levels just loop around so you'd have decided where to cut it yourself.  I didn't realize that you use tools to make your maps more often then doing it the old fashioned way.  Heh, what is it, the old timey ways no good for you?  You young whipper snappers these days just gots it to easy.  When I was u'r age we had to map 500 screen shots in the snow just to get to one room finished. 

Seriously though I could teach you some tricks when you get stuck and screen shots are your only alternative.  Or when tiles go on for more then one screen and you lose any land mark or other measuring tool.  I had to use those kind of tricks when I was doing the BOF games.  It doesn't hurt to be good with the basics.  And did you mean Densetsu no Starfy?