Author Topic: Newcomer request advice  (Read 16263 times)

Offline Master Bait

Newcomer request advice
« on: April 24, 2009, 08:26:33 am »
Hi

I just registered and I'm new the whole mapmaking concept.

Anyway, I started making a map which I originally intended to host at http://wikicheats.gametrailers.com/ together with a guide I planned to write for this game. The thing is, it seems as if my map clearly exceeds the limits for size in terms of both memory and resolution. Also I probably need to make notes and marks and such on it, so I think I decided to post it there chopped up and edited. But I still want to share this map in its entirety, unspoiled by arrows and numbers etc. And is there a better place to do this than at vgmaps?

Are there any special requirements to get your map hosted? The "CONTRIBUTE"-button on the homepage is just an email link.

Also about editing.

I tried browsing some topics and I understand you guys use alot more software than I do. I use Paint.NET. That's it.

Basically I run around taking screencaps then paste them together using Paint.NET.

Just turn off sprites and the background with the HUD before screencapping.

Is there another way? Or if it's not, can I do this more effectivly.

Maybe someone could write a short recap of how this person makes a map. I'm especially interested in how exactly that entire world map for "A Link to the Past" (or any like that) was done since I work on something similar.

Offline Maxim

RE: Newcomer request advice
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2009, 08:44:36 am »
Well, here's a pretty good place to submit 1:1 scale maps, with and/or without annotations. It's rather low-tech, though - maps are emailed to JonLeung who hand-edits the (horrible) HTML once a week.

A lot of people just use Paint, which is loony. Paint.net is better, but it lacks a proper grid and palette control and has a habit of not doing things in a pixel-level way. Layers are very useful for when you come to make a multi-layered map, either because of background layers or sprites. But mostly it's a matter of perseverance rather than special tools.

It's traditional to mention what game you're working on, if only to avoid someone else doing it at the same time.

Offline Master Bait

« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2009, 09:37:01 am »
Great.

It sounds as if I'm at least not missing some major thing in my way to work with this.

That autostitcher... Does it really work? Think I'd get suspicious and mistrust it, ending up with me sitting there, doublechecking everything anyway.

Don't fully comprehend the use of a Slicer/Splicer. Will read about it now.

And oh, it's Jurassic Park for the SNES.

Offline Maxim

« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2009, 11:28:24 am »
I wrote the autostitcher, so I know pretty well how it works. So long as there's no layers (depends on the game) and loads of screenshots (depends on the emulator) it does OK. I always watch what it's doing and register the results on a grid to avoid errors.

Offline Will

« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2009, 12:06:36 pm »
If you're doing SNES Jurassic Park, how are you going to do the 3D building levels? If you want a guide there are hand drawn maps on www.vgmappers.com . Welcome to vgmaps.

Offline DarkWolf

« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2009, 02:39:09 pm »
I've used MS Paint, it's not too bad.  I've never had a need for a grid snap.  Paint.NET has worked good for me in terms of ripping sprites, but I have yet to put together a map with it.  I imagine it would have its advantages and disadvantages.

Offline Peardian

• Busy busy
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2009, 09:48:19 pm »
Paint is really good if you just want to quickly and efficiently assemble rooms or room layers. If you want to use a program that has layers, such as Fireworks, you can easily assemble individual layers in paint and then just stick them in the program to be arranged.

---

YTT (36%) - WL4 (72%) - PM (45%) - YI (13%)
MM (10%) - SMA3 (33%) - DNS (0%)

Come check out the Nintendo 64 Mapping Workshop!

Offline Will

« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2009, 03:30:46 am »
Perhaps you may find my half finished map useful. I have long since abandoned it, you can put that to use if you like.

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2009, 06:48:12 am »
Hello and welcome!

In terms of the contribution process, I gave some submission guidlines in a past topic started by magicbay:

Video Game Map Submission??

Offline Master Bait

« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2009, 07:42:22 am »
Thanks everybody for all the replies.

Maybe I'll give that autostitcher a try sometime then.

I also downloaded and tried that splicer/slicer. I get the idea now =)

I'm not sure how to map the buildings interior. Those maps from vgmapper was the same you can find on gamefaqs. Thanks anyway but I want something more graphic tho. Want symbols (sprites) to represent the items you can pick up or interact with, instead of numbers and notes.

The best idead I currently have is simply to do something similar to those maps but much more visually pleasing.

I like Paint.NET. It has all basic functions plus many advanced without getting complicated. It is what MSPaint should be.

I never really spent so much time in Photoshop but that program come to me as a little intimidating. I get lost in all those functions.

About that unfinished map, I might take a look at it. Possibly it's compatible with what I'm working on. I'm about 70% done. It's just the northwestern and the northeastern parts left plus the ocean. Since that flippin water is moving and is on the same BG as pretty much everything else I'm gonna have to do it last. Removing all water, create a layer from the rest of the map, make a pattern of water tiles and stick it under that map layer. Such a hassle =/

Now I will check that thread about posting maps.

Offline Revned

« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2009, 02:10:15 pm »
Welcome! It's always nice to see someone willing to make their own maps. It seems like nowadays all the newcomers just make requests. I'm looking forward to seeing your maps.

I feel kind of guilty every time someone mentions Tile Slicer/Splicer. Awhile back I integrated them into one program, but I just haven't gotten around to polishing and releasing it. I also planned to add several new, useful features. One of these days *sigh*.

Offline Tropicon

« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2009, 02:31:18 pm »
Or you could just use a code to freeze the water.

Offline Master Bait

« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2009, 06:16:24 pm »
Tropicon Said:
Or you could just use a code to freeze the water.

Any suggestions? I'm currently using Snes9X v1.51 for Windows.