Author Topic: Where can I get five- or six-suit decks of playing cards for cheap?  (Read 30973 times)

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator
Board games and card games are cool too, perhaps that's a way to stave off the video game addiction.  >_>

I was reading about playing cards and about how there are five-suit and six-suit variations.  

The five suits include the usual four plus stars (kind of like what is hinted at with the five characters in Super Mario RPG!), but the fifth suit ruins the black-red symmetry by having the stars either both black and red or neither.  There are also versions with different colours, I hear: red hearts, black spades, green clubs (clovers?), yellow diamonds, and blue stars...(though wouldn't blue diamonds and yellow stars make more sense?)

What I would probably like more is the six-suit deck, with red crowns and black anchors.  I've seen them available for purchase here, but at that price, I'd much rather just print off my own cards and sleeve them up in my brother's old card sleeves (like the kind he uses for his Yu-Gi-Oh! cards).  Unless you guys know of any decks that are inexpensive.

Offline Maxim

RE: Where can I get five- or six-suit decks of playing cards for cheap?
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2009, 08:38:02 am »
I can only thing of one place where you can buy random crap at occasionally cheap prices - eBay.

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2009, 09:29:28 am »
I'll look again but earlier today when I looked on eBay, "five-suit" and "six-suit" didn't come up with anything, and anything including "playing cards" brings up a ton of results of collectors' and themed decks of the regular four suits.  Looking up "Stardeck" (a name for one kind of five-suit deck) didn't give me what I was looking for, either.

The search continues!  Weird how I instantly get intrigued by some things sometimes.

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2009, 05:37:33 pm »
User posted image

It's a work in progress...

I really should have stars, not circles, but it's more a placeholder right now than anything.  Plus the Royal Family should look different instead of just being clones of the Spades Royalty.

Plus, I was thinking maybe white would look good too. I mean, yellow is bright, but white, black and the three RGB colours is neat too.  Plus, with the usual elemental/colours theme, holy/white is stronger than dark/black, which controls fire/red, which consumes earth/green, which absorbs water/blue.

Offline Revned

« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2009, 06:40:28 pm »
What's the point? And why change the colors of the existing suits?

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2009, 06:47:54 pm »
The "Stardeck" uses the fifth suit, the star, as both black and red, but I guess depending on the game, it might ruin the colour symmetry.  Since five is a prime number, I figure each suit should have its own colour.

The six-suited one I want to get with the red crowns and black anchors maintains the symmetry with half still black and the other half still red.  I heard of another deck with two new suits that are both blue.

The point is to make card games more interesting, and decks with more than four suits are hard to come by.  Perhaps there's a reason for that, but I'd like to try it out before I knock it.

I think I'm always intrigued by the concept of "one more".  The extra, unknown, and hidden.  Like the eighth day of the week, the thirteenth disciple, the twenty-fifth (or thirteenth) hour.  It could go the other way too, like the zeroth of anything.

That reminds me, I still want an analog clock or a watch with thirteen numbers on it - like the kind that Aeon from Castlevania Judgment has - though it could be weird to tell time on it...  Maybe if the clock actually ran, it'd have to skip the 13 (or XIII)?  Of course, noon wouldn't be as easy to read...

Offline brendantheraven

Re: Where can I get five- or six-suit decks of playing cards for cheap?
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2020, 05:12:22 pm »
Hello! Just wanted to add on to this old thread to say that I have designed a five suit deck of playing cards: the Deck of Shields.

https://deckofshields.com/

Cheers!

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator
Re: Where can I get five- or six-suit decks of playing cards for cheap?
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2020, 08:47:26 am »
Holy necropost!  This was originally before a big party I had with my mom out of the house (a rarity) eleven years ago...  I didn't end up playing card games but I did find a sweet deck of six suits, with red crowns and black anchors added.  I wonder where that deck is now...

Funny thing is, I remember buying it from a site that was selling computer parts, and out of the blue they also had these cards but no other miscellaneous knickknacks...