Author Topic: Transformers: War For Cybertron  (Read 7385 times)

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator
Transformers: War For Cybertron
« on: January 13, 2010, 07:50:58 am »
Transformers: War For Cybertron - Reveal Teaser (from IGN, on YouTube)
(...still figuring out how to get the embed code working here...)

There was a teaser last month, but it didn't show anything this new trailer doesn't show.

I'm a fan of Transformers: (The) War Within, which was Dreamwave Comics' take on a pre-Earth, pre-G1 saga.  Though I'm not too sure how much of that is considered canon now since Dreamwave went bankrupt and the third volume of War Within wasn't even completed, and of course since then IDW Publishing has rebooted G1 in its own comic continuity.  This new game is said to be canon.  But I guess with a number of possible G1s now, it doesn't really matter if it's not the only pre-Earth, pre-G1 story.  If a new video game is more likely to reach the masses than an older and unfinished comic series which is semi-obscure (even though the Fallen did originate from there), then that's probably good enough to ensure a place in (an) official continuity.

I'm still on the fence about Transformers Animated, yet I think it's a neat touch that Optimus has a chest plate and an axe that look similar to those from Animated, while the whole thing still has shades of War Within.

Now we need to see some actual gameplay.

I hope this is a good Transformers game.  I never got into the movie tie-ins because, well, they're movie tie-ins.  And the PS2 game simply called "Transformers" was based on Transformers: Armada, wasn't it?  It didn't help that Armada didn't interest me much.  The Japanese-only G1 PS2 game looked really cool at first but then it looked (and sounded) like crap in the little I saw of it later.  The PSX Beast Wars game and the N64 Beast Wars: Transmetals games were crap too.  Really goes without saying that the Famicom game starring Ultra Magnus was sucky.  I guess they did get slightly better over time though, looking back on it, and this latest one is developed by the guys who did Gears Of War (I didn't play that, but that sounds like a good thing).
« Last Edit: January 13, 2010, 08:00:14 am by JonLeung »