Author Topic: screenshotmaps.com link not working?  (Read 15234 times)

Offline magicbay

• this isn't me.. just a celeb i like..
screenshotmaps.com link not working?
« on: April 03, 2010, 02:27:54 pm »
the link for the detailed maps for the detailed maps for the SNES Super Metroid appears to not be working..

I was wondering if the site is down for some reason or if the site servers went down or what but was just curious about why the link for that site isn't working..   ??? ??? ??? ???

Thanks..

Offline Maxim

Re: screenshotmaps.com link not working?
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2010, 02:31:52 pm »
The screenshotmaps.com domain seems to have been lost to an advertiser.

Offline magicbay

« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2010, 06:51:33 pm »
i wonder how did it happened??

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2010, 08:31:29 pm »
Whoops.  I forgot to mention, wileee did email me a couple months back saying that he wanted to retire that site.  He gave me the option of claiming that domain name but I declined.

I guess I'll take off that link.  Fear not, Rick Bruns is mapping Super Metroid now...

Offline magicbay

« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2010, 12:25:32 am »
i've got the maps that i had downloaded from that site but do i dare send them in for credit or let the original mapper take the credit?

don't worry, jon, just give me the word and i'll submit them..  if ya don't want me to submit the game maps from that site, i won't submit them.

it's your call..
« Last Edit: April 04, 2010, 12:27:48 am by magicbay »

Offline Revned

« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2010, 01:01:06 am »
His answer will be 'no'. They aren't yours to submit. The original authors of that site used to post here occasionally, and they kept their maps on their own site because they were slightly paranoid about people stealing their work.

Offline Maxim

« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2010, 01:24:05 am »
If they're contactable then they may not mind having a copy here now, since the site's dead. It's an obvious no for adding them under your own name.

Offline magicbay

« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2010, 07:08:42 am »
i agree with you guys about submitting something that i didn't do and thats why i've left it up to jon to decide if he wants those maps submitted or not.

i would contact the guys at screenshotmaps.com but don't know their email to ask for permission to post their super metroid maps here.

besides i don't want to upset jon again after the stink with the snes simcity map maps.

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2010, 02:04:02 pm »
I'd like those particular maps submitted, but only by wileee and Edsword themselves, no one else.  When Rick Bruns does his maps of Super Metroid, then I will accept his from him.  Simple rule: submit only your own stuff.

From what I remember, they only hosted the JPEGs on screenshotmaps.com though.  Somehow, wileee did eventually allow the use of the Norfair map as a PNG here on VGMaps.com.  When I shortly thereafter asked him about the others, he seemed rather silent.  When he told me about letting screenshotmaps.com go, I made a subtle-as-a-brick-to-the-head comment that I would still be ecstatic to host the Super Metroid maps here on VGMaps.com, and he never responded to that.  Clearly, he (and Edsword) don't seem to want VGMaps.com to host their work.  No repsect lost, but if it is a contentious issue, then there's no point to push it any more.  I'd be more than happy to have them if they do change their mind someday, but until then, we can wait for Rick Bruns.

Though it does surprise me that we don't yet have all the full maps of Super Metroid from anyone, just as I am surprised about the lack of the complete Battletoads.  Or more from the Sonic The Hedgehog series and Final Fantasy series.  There is no direct correlation between popularity of a series and the completeness of their map sets here - or at the very least, it isn't the only factor.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2010, 02:05:01 pm by JonLeung »

Offline Revned

« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2010, 03:37:15 pm »
I probably would have at least attempted Super Metroid myself if wileee/Edsword's maps didn't exist. But I found them before I even found this site, so I didn't want to waste my time mapping something that was already mapped. The JPG quality was unfortunate, but I had received assurances from Edsword that he'd release the PNGs eventually. This must have been 6 or 7 years ago.

Offline magicbay

« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2010, 10:28:42 am »
cool.

i'm glad that i managed to download the maps before the site went down and am willing to send a copy of them to the wilee/edswordor to anyone if they so desire.

i'll have them converted and ready to send out at their request and or asking.

just let them know i've got the super metroid maps and will have them ready at their request.

Offline TerraEsperZ

« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2010, 01:31:12 pm »
[...]just as I am surprised about the lack of the complete Battletoads.[...]

That's still in the plans  ;)
Current project that are on hold because job burnout :
-Drill Dozer (GBA)
-Sonic 3D Blast (Genesis)
-Naya's Quest (PC)

Offline magicbay

« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2010, 12:59:32 pm »
so in the meantime, i'll just hold onto those maps and i could offer them to other members strictly for private usage..