Author Topic: Duke Nukem 64 Maps?  (Read 16044 times)

Offline magicbay

• this isn't me.. just a celeb i like..
Duke Nukem 64 Maps?
« on: April 16, 2010, 07:23:15 pm »
Does anyone know if there's any maps for the Nintendo 64 game called: Duke Nukem 64?

I've love to find out if there's any maps out there on the internet or if anyone's mapped this game yet?

Thanks, yall.

Offline Trop

Re: Duke Nukem 64 Maps?
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2010, 09:34:15 pm »
This game is hell to 3D map, you only get what your looking at per rip, but maybe that's not what you meant?  I don't remember if this game came with in game 2D maps of each level.  Ripping those wouldn't be to hard.  On an upside I'll finally get back to ripping Actraiser 2 in a couple of days and I should get it all done in a week or so.

Offline magicbay

Re: Duke Nukem 64 Maps?
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2010, 01:27:22 am »
cool.

any d maps would be fine just as long as there were maps made for this game.

I can't wait to see what kind of maps ya come up with for actraiser 2, Trop.

Offline magicbay

Duke Nukem Nintendo 64 games?
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2011, 11:07:34 am »
I know Duke Nukem 64 was a previous topic but was wondering if anyone has mapped both Duke Nukem 64 and Duke Nukem Zero Hour yet, if so, where are the maps at but if not, may I put in a request these two great games be mapped by anyone willing to take these great Nintendo 64 classic games?

Thanks.

Offline Trop

Re: Duke Nukem Nintendo 64 games?
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2011, 04:14:06 pm »
Well as you can see from the examples it's not impossible, just really really hard.  The rips come in sideways or upside down and you don't really get much per rip.

Offline magicbay

« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2011, 06:45:33 am »
i understand about all the craziness of dealing with the unknown results of mapping.

i truly do and am willing to accept what ever comes out of the maps on the games.

i really don't mind the end results that yall get and am grateful for the maps that we all post here besides, if the maps are readable enough to play through the game or games, then that's enough for me.

Offline DarkWolf

« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2011, 07:27:56 am »
Not sure exactly how the N64 version works, but the PC version uses a lot of engine tricks to make the levels.  Much like Doom, the Build engine doesn't support true room-over-room*.  For example, on that first map, when you drop down the air duct, your are seamlessly teleported to another part of the level.  There's also some usage of sprites to make 3d platforms.

While the game isn't a complete port, I doubt they re-wrote the engine from scratch, so you'd probably run into some weird things.

On a side note, the Build engine was really fun to make maps with.  Even though it still wasn't true 3d, you could make a lot of cool things.  I'd actually be interested to see if it would be possible to extract scale coordinates from the N64 maps so you could possibly make PC versions out of them.  Since they had to take all of the adult content out, they ended up re-doing some of the levels, and IIRC there are some originals.

*However, unlike Doom, Build allows for rooms to overlap on the X/Y axis, as long as there is no intersection on the Z axis, and neither of the rooms share any veritices.

Offline Peardian

• Busy busy
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2011, 10:59:25 am »
As was mentioned in the N64 Workshop, the Duke Nukem 64 games cannot be mapped the VRML method. Sure, you can rip a single scene, but you can't put the pieces together. If any maps are made of the levels in these games, they'd have to be custom.
MM (10%) - SMA3 (33%) - DNS (0%)

Come check out the Nintendo 64 Mapping Workshop!

Offline magicbay

« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2011, 12:59:05 pm »
i understand about the maps being custom made and all which is fine by me.

i'll still enjoy the maps reguardless if their single screens or customized.