Author Topic: What are your favourite game soundtracks?  (Read 46907 times)

Offline Maxim

RE: What are your favourite game soundtracks?
« Reply #15 on: April 02, 2008, 03:49:37 am »
I was never much into video game music mainly because there wasn't a successful format for Master System music (SSL and KSS never really took off for that format). So I ended up co-creating one, which you may know as VGM. Of course there's plenty of people who only use it for Mega Drive/Genesis music (see http://project2612.org) but I just can't help preferring good old-fashioned square waves.

Standout soundtracks:

- Sonic

- Wonder Boy III

- Ys

- The Flash

- Space Harrier

- Golvellius

- Streets of Rage

More discussion:

http://www.smspower.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=258

http://www.smspower.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=6486

http://www.smspower.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=6839

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: April 02, 2008, 07:10:59 am »
I've been listening to the Super Smash Bros. Brawl soundtrack quite a bit.  Unsurprisingly, my favorite tracks are mostly the ones from past games, or remixed versions of them.  Then again, there isn't much NEW music - how many remixes of the main Brawl theme do you need? I still haven't truly listened to all of it, though.

I'd been looking for the Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons Of Liberty boss music for a while after I'd lost it, and I found it here by accident.  There's a Metal Gear 2 title song (at least that's what the title says - assuming the MP3 wasn't too wrongly named - even so, I don't know if that refers to Snake's Revenge or Solid Snake) that was surprisingly cool.  The Sonic The Hedgehog music for the most part was neat, though where's Sonic The Hedgehog 2's Chemical Plant Zone?  Come on!  :P

Offline RT 55J

« Reply #17 on: April 02, 2008, 02:33:23 pm »
Brawl's soundtrack is pretty good. I especially like the Final Destination theme. Some of my favorite remixes include Corneria, the Zelda 1 title theme, Fire Field, the Kid Icarus Overworld theme,  and SSB64's credits.

And as long as we're posting our favorites, I might as well post some of mine that haven't been mentioned yet.

NES: Bionic Commando

Genesis: Devilish

SNES: Final Fantasy IV

N64: Tetrisphere

GC: F-Zero GX (no link here)

---

Dot? Dot. Dot!

Offline TerraEsperZ

Re: What are your favourite game soundtracks?
« Reply #18 on: August 24, 2010, 08:26:34 pm »
I know I'm reviving a very old thread, but I figured that nobody would protest given how it mainly consists of great music for both old and new games.

Anyway, I've noticed how nobody so far has even mentioned the whole Scott Pilgrim phenomenon given how videogame culture is such a big part of it. Ok, so I'm one to talk, having not read the books or seen the movie (I really want to, but it ain't happening until the DVD release because I'll be damned if I'm going to support another butchering job by the local francophone dubbers).

Anyway, if you've been online at all lately, you've heard about the beat 'em up game that was released for the PlayStation Network and is soon to come for XBox Live Arcade, and how glorious the soundtrack is for those with a love for chiptune music and 8/16-bit music. I pirated it yesterday, then bought the real deal tonight because despite not being able to play the game, the soundtrack is a non-stop musical orgasm to my ears.

Check out some samples at this link: Scott Pilgrim vs. the World: The Game (Original Videogame Soundtrack). You can buy it on iTunes but it's actually cheaper on Amazon, just so you know.

(I only bought on iTunes because I got a 25$ card a few years back, otherwise I never would have installed that Apple abomination which would so much like to handle all your musical needs despite you not wanting to)
Current project that are on hold because job burnout :
-Drill Dozer (GBA)
-Sonic 3D Blast (Genesis)
-Naya's Quest (PC)

Offline Revned

« Reply #19 on: August 24, 2010, 10:39:31 pm »
I played the Scott Pilgrim game with a few friends. It was well done. Not that I have much of a background in beat-em-ups, but I enjoyed it.

Offline Peardian

• Busy busy
« Reply #20 on: August 25, 2010, 06:30:59 am »
Those are nice! My favorite of those is Maki Ya, I think.

Since it's been so long, three games that came out with amazing must-have soundtracks: Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story, Little King's Story, and Super Mario Galaxy 2. For anyone who hasn't played these fantastic games (of course, most of you have probably never heard of LKS), here are some samples.

Yoko Shimomura puts out another all-around-awesome soundtrack for the third Mario & Luigi game. This is one of the few games for which I recommend every single song. The final boss music will give you shivers of excitement, especially if you know what the battle is like.
Plack Beach
Toad Town
Clash of the Titans

Yes, the game uses all classical music, but it is far from a cheap way out. Each song arranged in the perfect way to fit the game, sometimes in unexpected ways. The special track Bearded Freak was once available through the game's site, but this arrangement of Dance of the Knights was unfortunately cut from the game.
Opening/Credits
Ripe Kingdom
Primetime Kingdom
King Jumbo Champloon

SMG2's music is... just beautiful. I'll let them speak for themselves.
Sky Station Galaxy
Melty Monster Galaxy
Bowser Battle
MM (10%) - SMA3 (33%) - DNS (0%)

Come check out the Nintendo 64 Mapping Workshop!

Offline DarkWolf

Re: RE: What are your favourite game soundtracks?
« Reply #21 on: August 30, 2010, 08:40:59 pm »
...but I just can't help preferring good old-fashioned square waves.

I'll take the Master System's PSG over the NES sound any day.  Of course, the YM2149 is my favorite.

The song Flight from Panzer Dragoon is one of my favorite VG pieces.

Offline TerraEsperZ

Re: RE: What are your favourite game soundtracks?
« Reply #22 on: August 30, 2010, 08:50:47 pm »
...but I just can't help preferring good old-fashioned square waves.

I'll take the Master System's PSG over the NES sound any day.  Of course, the YM2149 is my favorite.

The song Flight from Panzer Dragoon is one of my favorite VG pieces.

I'll admit that I like a few Master System soundtrack but I've always found them to sound too 'soft' while NES Soundtracks tend to have much more 'presence'.
Current project that are on hold because job burnout :
-Drill Dozer (GBA)
-Sonic 3D Blast (Genesis)
-Naya's Quest (PC)