Author Topic: Quo Vadis map - calling King Kuros...  (Read 22660 times)

Offline DRS

Quo Vadis map - calling King Kuros...
« on: May 09, 2010, 02:17:31 pm »
Hello everyone. I'm new here. I recently stumbled upon this brilliant site whilst doing some research about the old 64 game Quo Vadis. I write for a magazine called Retro Gamer and am doing a little piece on the game. I'm sorry to be using forum space with this, but i have tried to contact KingKuros05 via private message but no no avail.. he has put together the excellent map of Quo Vadis which i would love to feature in our magazine. Are you there Mr Kuros? Or does anyone know of his whereabouts? I really would love to hear from you and get your work in print. Also, it will be a nice opportunity for me to bring vgmaps to the attention of any readers who aren't yet aware of its sterling work.

Well, again, sorry for starting a thread but i was giving up hope. Thanks for any help. And great site :)

Paul

Offline KingKuros

Re: Quo Vadis map - calling King Kuros...
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2010, 10:28:08 pm »
I don't check my yahoo account very often but I read the letter about this and been thinking about it.  I first want to hear what Jon Leung have to say about this before I decide to let this magazine writer use it.  I have however made a few adjustments to the Quo Vadis map by removing 2 slight blemishes and added more space at the top of the map.  So it would be now at 7008 x 9520 and 614 KB after PNGGauntlet and would be sent out after Jon gives the OK.  So as far as letting Retro Gamer use this map,  if it's alright with Jon,  it would be alright with me.

Offline DRS

« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2010, 01:15:33 am »
Thanks for replying Mr King. And i do appreciate you making an extra effort to make the image even better - the higher the resolution the happier my editor is :) I did contact Jonathan first and he was very helpful. Nice chaps all round.

Btw, would you like me to credit you with a real name or is King Kuros your preferred moniker?

Thanks again - I will post on this site when the map is in print and maybe you might get a few new visitors from it. Keep up the fine work all.

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2010, 02:40:22 pm »
I am absolutely OK with anything that gives VGMaps.com more publicity.  :)

Did you already send me your corrected map, KingKuros?  I will get it up on the site, ASAP, after you have.  I don't normally mention corrections on the front page, but I will at least mention in this topic (for DRS and anyone else who might be interested) when the perfected Quo Vadis map is live on the site.

Offline KingKuros

« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2010, 05:46:55 pm »
I sent the map directly to JonLeung and DRS by e-mail.  I originally posted it to imageshack and put a link here, but for some reason the file size changed from 614 KB to 792 KB when posted to imageshack and downloaded off from it.  So I figured it would be better off e-mailing it directly.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2010, 06:11:43 pm by KingKuros »

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2010, 06:35:34 pm »
The map is now up on the site.  Thanks, KingKuros!  And thanks, DRS, for mentioning VGMaps in your upcoming feature!

Offline KingKuros

« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2010, 08:23:34 pm »
Thanks!  I'll be looking forward to it.

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2010, 10:16:30 pm »
I wonder what came of this.  I messaged DRS to see if this is happening or has happened...

Offline KingKuros

« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2010, 06:27:04 pm »
On the last e-mail I got from him, he says he plans to put the content 5 issues ahead.

RE: VGMaps.com Quo Vadis
Tuesday, May 11, 2010 1:14 AM
To:
Thank you so much - that's brilliant work. Now, we plan content for the magazine 5 issues ahead usually so it won't be in for a while but i will let you know when it's out and sort you a copy.

Your time and trouble is greatly appreciated - good luck with any future cartography!

Paul @;[
« Last Edit: August 03, 2010, 01:58:41 am by KingKuros »

Offline Revned

« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2010, 11:51:17 pm »
You shouldn't go around posting people's email addresses in plain text....

Offline KingKuros

« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2010, 02:01:25 am »
You shouldn't go around posting people's email addresses in plain text....

I fixed it, removed now.

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2010, 12:28:09 pm »
He said Volume 81; the current issue is 79, so that's two months away, October, which fits into the "five issues ahead" statement from May.

I'm excited!

I'm trying to remember if VGMaps.com has been mentioned in print before.  Twice I think it was a possiblity, but they didn't actually happen as far as I know.  Once in Nintendo Power, someone submitted Animal Crossing textures that looked exactly like two of mine...(even though they were of the "ripped" variety it was still a little suspicious.)  That reminds me, I should do something about that shoddy section of "Other Stuff"...
« Last Edit: August 10, 2010, 01:25:26 pm by JonLeung »

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2010, 08:49:55 am »
Volume 81 is available now!

Anyone seen it yet?  How big is the VGMaps.com feature?

EDIT: Well, I went and bought a copy anyway, so I guess I'll see soon enough!
« Last Edit: September 17, 2010, 09:00:42 am by JonLeung »

Offline Maxim

« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2010, 10:21:51 am »
You can get UK magazines over there? (It's rare to see non-UK games magazines on the shelves here.)

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: September 17, 2010, 12:21:55 pm »
I meant I bought it online, so the shipping is more than the issue itself, and when you convert currencies...

...Yeah, it is kind of pricey but the ego boost is worth it.  >_>

Actually, I remember (don't know if it's still there) that on Whyte Ave. here in Edmonton (it's the street with the old and/or unique stores, lots of bars and night life, artsy stuff, entertainment, panhandlers, etc.) there was/is a magazine and cigar store that imports magazines (and cigars, presumably) from around the world.  Growing up with Nintendo Power, I remember being surprised and confused at seeing the ONM (Official Nintendo Magazine), which is a UK publication if I'm not mistaken.  Maybe if parking wasn't a major pain I could've saved a few bucks by buying it there (assuming they have it, and again, assuming the store is still there).
« Last Edit: September 17, 2010, 12:25:53 pm by JonLeung »