Author Topic: Pokemon Darkcry Version?  (Read 38047 times)

Offline magicbay

• this isn't me.. just a celeb i like..
Pokemon Darkcry Version?
« on: June 12, 2010, 08:48:09 pm »
Does anyone know or heard anything about the gameboy advance came called: Pokemon Darkcry Version?

It's not by Nintendo but made by a company called: Game Freak Inc.

I think that not too many people know about this game is because of the language in the game but wanted to see if anyone here knew or has heard of this particular Pokemon game.

Thanks.

Offline Peardian

• Busy busy
Re: Pokemon Darkcry Version?
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2010, 09:59:15 pm »
Pokémon "Dark Cry Version" is a rom hack of Pokémon FireRed version. It is completely fanmade, hence the language and other general qualities.

Also, Game Freak Inc. is the company that produces Pokémon for Nintendo.
MM (10%) - SMA3 (33%) - DNS (0%)

Come check out the Nintendo 64 Mapping Workshop!

Offline magicbay

« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2010, 01:56:57 am »
Should I be worried about flaws and stuff like that disrupting gameplay?

I just want to know what to expect from buying this game and playing it?

Also, thanks Peardin for the info.

Offline Peardian

• Busy busy
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2010, 07:24:26 am »
It's entirely possible, as this is just a hack. You can't buy this game, and anyone selling it is trying to rip people off. Keep in mind that this game is in no way official.
MM (10%) - SMA3 (33%) - DNS (0%)

Come check out the Nintendo 64 Mapping Workshop!

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2010, 03:31:11 pm »
1. Don't buy hacks of games.
2. ...Especially of Pokémon games.  True games have connectivity with other Pokémon games, and that connectivity is an integral part of the series.
3. If you're a Pokémon fan at all, it really shouldn't be that hard to spot unofficial versions right away.
4. And if you're a Pokémon newbie, it really shouldn't be that hard to check GameFAQs.com, serebii.net, or any of a gazillion video game or Pokémon-specific web sites.  Or even Wikipedia.org.

Well, then again, this here is a game site, too.  Here, let me spell it out for you:

1st gen (originally up to 151 Pokémon - GB):
Original: Red/Blue (also Green in Japan)
Enhanced: Yellow
Remake: FireRed/LeafGreen (GBA)

2nd gen (originally up to 251 Pokémon - GBC):
Original: Gold/Silver
Enhanced: Crystal
Remake: HeartGold/SoulSilver (DS)

3rd gen (originally up to 386 Pokémon - GBA):
Original: Ruby/Sapphire
Enhanced: Emerald

4th gen (originally up to 493 Pokémon - DS):
Original: Diamond/Pearl
Enhanced: Platinum

5th gen (coming soon)
Original: Black/White

So right off the bat you can see how ludicrous a name like "DarkCry" is.  Likely it was trying to be like "Darkrai" (the name of a promotional Pokémon) or had something to do with it.  I'm sure we wouldn't see something like "DarkBlack" (and "LightWhite"?) until at least after remakes of Ruby/Sapphire/Diamond/Pearl, a couple generations of handhelds from now.  I'm not even sure that such remakes are necessary - I'm only less than two hours into SoulSilver despite having the game since March...  :P  I mean, sheesh, I've already got all the Johto Pokémon - all of them, in fact - in my Diamond game, and I'm not really into competitive battling like my brother is...
« Last Edit: June 14, 2010, 04:00:09 pm by JonLeung »

Offline magicbay

« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2010, 09:59:43 am »
that's why i was asking about this game to begin with..

I was just wondering if anyone had heard of this particular game or knew anything about it.

I wasn't trying to make people mad at me for asking if anyone had any info on this game besides, I haven't played a pokemon game for years since all of mine got stolen over seven years ago so how was I supposed to know if this was a rom, hack or unofficial game when I bought it?

The store that I bought it from said there were copies of it on www.ebay.com and they didn't know anything about it and thought it was a rare pokemon game not listed on www.gamefaqs.com.  It wasn't until I came here asking about it did I find out that it was a clone of Pokemon Fire Red Version so don't get mad at me for asking for info about this game..

Offline StarFighters76

« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2010, 12:15:44 am »
5th gen (coming soon)
Original: Black/White

I would laugh totally if an enhanced version would be called "Pokemon Gray" :)

Still kinda curious about this game actually. Platinum is the last one I played (though I am mapping out Ruby/Sapphire, very slowly I might add).
Creator of over 4,300 maps on GameFAQs!

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2010, 08:50:28 am »
I meant to post this a while back, so this is old news...but, if you haven't heard of it, it's new to you.

I would warn that you don't read about this right before bed...I've played the first four Silent Hill games but the info about the supposed Pokémon hack gives me the chills.

http://tinycartridge.com/post/866743831/super-creepy-pokemon-hack

I think what makes it disturbing is the idea of creepy music degenerating into a "demonic rumble", the fade-to-black as Pokémon and trainers are killed, the empty world at the end where there's nothing to do but take a long trek to your death by a smiling ghost in what should be a kid-friendly game.  That's f*&%@ed up.

Apparently there's currently an attempt to recreate this "CreepyBlack Version", you can find progress videos on YouTube.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2010, 08:53:45 am by JonLeung »

Offline Wario Bros

« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2010, 06:27:26 pm »
Oh yeah, I remember the creepypasta "Black Version."   The ROM hack remakes sounds awesome too.  But possibly the best Pokemon ROM hack would be "Brown Version" (Red Verison) by Koolboyman.  He added 73 more Pokemon, over 40 more moves, more items, 7 more types (Dark, Steel, Wood, Gas, Abnormal, Wind, & Sound,) a whole new region, and a brand new story.  The patch (don't buy it) is not that hard to find and it's totally worth it.

1. Don't buy hacks of games.

Well, I did a LONG time ago.  But I knew it was fake and I actually wanted to own a bootleg at the time (still works but the save battery is dead :'( )  And to go with that, neither games in this two-in-one are actually Pokemon games but instead are games called Keitai DenjÅ« Telefang - Speed and Power versions (game plays similar to Pokemon but this bootleg is very buggy, crashes sometimes, and some of the worst Engrish you'll ever find)  The game is actually really fun and there is a project to retranslate this game (translating the OFFICIAL rom instead of the bootleg version for the best quality)

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2010, 09:47:40 pm »
Another Creepy + Pasta story, this time about Majora's Mask...

http://inuscreepystuff.blogspot.com/2010/09/majora.html

I didn't read it yet.  It comes with videos too, but I didn't watch.  Fake (sounds like the "original" Pokémon CreepyBlack was too), but supposedly still a creepy read/watch.  I don't feel like losing sleep again so I'll check it out later, but if you have the nerves, enjoy (?) the link.

EDIT: I read it but didn't watch the videos yet.  Didn't creep me out as much as I thought it would, dunno if seeing it played out in the videos will make a difference...but maybe I'll find out later, when I'm not at work.  >_>  From the comments on that page from those who have seen it, it seems like there are some good ROM hacking and video editing skills, but the video also makes it more obvious that it's a fake.  Still, for a "campfiresque" scary story-telling attempt, a video shows there's some effort made here.

But on text alone, the Pokémon story was definitely way more disturbing (even though that one didn't involve a supposed haunting).  Maybe the innocent nature of Pokémon juxtaposed with a message about death, combined with the low-resness and simplicity of the original which leaves a lot to the imagination, really brings out the creepiness.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2022, 09:31:33 am by JonLeung »