Author Topic: Movies You've Seen  (Read 31952 times)

Offline TerraEsperZ

RE: Movies You've Seen
« Reply #15 on: April 23, 2006, 01:54:51 pm »
There aren't any blockbuster anywhere near where I live. There is a video rental/independant cinema who has a lot of DVDs of foreign movies and I'm pretty sure they'd have Kurosawa, but it's on the other side of town and I don't have a car, so I'd really need to be motivated to spend 2 hours just to make the trip to rent a movie. Maybe someday.

---

"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably." [...] The first time any man's freedom is trodden on, we're all damaged. - Captain Jean-Luc Picard

B*tch, meet reality. Reality, meet b*tch. - Me
Current project that are on hold because job burnout :
-Drill Dozer (GBA)
-Sonic 3D Blast (Genesis)
-Naya's Quest (PC)

Offline Thraxian

« Reply #16 on: April 24, 2006, 07:47:23 am »
I just finished seeing Robots, the animated film with Ewan McGregor, Robin Williams, etc.

It was hilarious!  The fact that it's animated means the kids will probably enjoy it, but there's so much humor for adults too, it's a great movie.

"Oh honey, I'm so sorry.  You missed the delivery.  But it's okay.  Making the baby's the fun part."

Offline Eggz

« Reply #17 on: April 24, 2006, 05:50:40 pm »
Terra, if there are any Videotron and Jumbo Video anywhere where you live, I'm pretty sure they would be able to order in a copy of the movie to put as a rental. I work for a division of Quebecor out here, and we do get a request for those every once in a whille. the only reason why we can't do it is because we're having a few small problems with our DVD shipping. But that's beyond the point. ^^;

---

Q: What weighs six ounces, sits in a tree, and is dangerous?

A: A sparrow with a machine gun.

- The Riddler; Batman the Movie
This looks like a job for Science!

Offline Revned

« Reply #18 on: May 23, 2006, 01:12:03 pm »
Ahem, *bump*

I just watched Orson Welles' F for Fake (Vérités et mensonges). It's a very interesting documentary about trickery and deceit. The ending was perfect for the topic. Two thumbs up!

I've seen lots of movies lately, but this was probably the most out of the ordinary. I'm going to see The Da Vinci Code tomorrow with my friend. We like seeing movies with poor ratings so we can laugh at them. We saw Van Helsing together too. Now that was a bad movie.

Offline bustin98

• Administrator
« Reply #19 on: May 23, 2006, 01:17:57 pm »
I'm looking forward to seeing X-men III this weekend. I'll have to give my impressions afterward.

---

Cool beans

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator
« Reply #20 on: May 24, 2006, 12:25:18 pm »
The last movie I saw on DVD was Charlie And The Chocolate Factory.  Funny thing is, YTV showed the original Willy Wonka And The Chocolate Factory the next day.  While I didn't watch the whole thing, the tiny part I did see near the beginning was neat to compare the two films, like how some lines were taken pretty much verbatim (well, I guess they're both derived from the same book), but some things were different.  Little things like how Charlie offers his family part of his chocolate bar but in the original they decline, and in the recent one they accept, or big things like how much freakier Johnny Depp is.

Offline bustin98

• Administrator
« Reply #21 on: May 24, 2006, 01:23:31 pm »
Brian Warner, aka Marilyn Manson, wanted to play Willy Wonka. He cites the original movie as a source of inspiration. I haven't watched the new one yet to see if it would have been cool to see him in the role.

---

Cool beans

Offline TerraEsperZ

« Reply #22 on: May 24, 2006, 02:15:20 pm »
All I know is that the video for "Dope Show" was really a big hommage to the boat ride from the original Willy Wonka movie. I'm not sure Warner would have fit with Burton's vision which is usually more fantastic than creepy, but a Chocolate Factory movie directed by Brian Warner while he was in the "Spooky Kids" period would have been quite an acid trip.

Also, has anyone here ever played the first Blood game on PC? The first episode had a stage which was a big "boat ride" where you traveled down a huge water tunnel with disturbing sounds and pulsating walls that reminded me a lot of the "Dope Hat" video; the fact that my roommate at the time used to play "Portrait of an American Family" (which had "Dope Hat" on it) all the time while I played Blood only strenghtened the connection.

---

"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably." [...] The first time any man's freedom is trodden on, we're all damaged. - Captain Jean-Luc Picard

-Drill Dozer (GBA)
-Naya's Quest (PC)

Offline bustin98

• Administrator
« Reply #23 on: May 24, 2006, 03:09:22 pm »
I never heard of it so I looked it up on the Net. Holy Duke Nukem, Batman.

Thats what I was reminded of by the screen shots. And the reviewer mentioned they are similar, but Blood is suposedly very difficult.

I guess if I see it in a $5 bin I might look at it. Maybe. Then again I haven't finished Halflife2 yet.

But very interesting sounding level, Terra. "Portrait" was one of the groups more ground-breaking albums. Its a classic.

---

Cool beans

Offline TerraEsperZ

« Reply #24 on: May 24, 2006, 04:05:25 pm »
"Portrait" remains my favourite album of his, if only because it's more demented and funny/creepy in an evil carnival sort of way than his other albums. "Smells Like Children" also carries some of that tone even though a lot of songs are just "more is better"-type remixes and/or plain weird speech bits like "Fuck Franky".

As for Blood, it used the old Duke Nukem 3D / Shadow Warrior engine, even though Monolith Software I think pushed it farther than for those two. I really liked the ambiance of the game, with evil cultists, mimes just waiting to be fragged and lots of cool and/or hommage levels like a moving train and one in Crystal Lakes where a mask on the walls is making the classic sounds you hear in Friday the 13th movies.

The only catch is that sounds doesn't really work well at all in DOSBox, being all choppy. There's a site somewhere which ga ve a very long and detailled procedure to patch the executables to get working sound in Windows but I haven't tried it yet.

---

-Drill Dozer (GBA)
-Naya's Quest (PC)

Offline Revned

« Reply #25 on: May 24, 2006, 05:52:32 pm »
Oh god, I hated the new Charlie and the Chocolate factory movie. It was just so... bad. Johnny Depp may be a good actor, but no one, and I mean no one, plays a better mad scientist than Gene Wilder. The original is one of my favorite movies ever. It may seem corny nowadays, but it creates the perfect atmosphere.

Offline TerraEsperZ

« Reply #26 on: May 24, 2006, 06:19:56 pm »
I don't remember if I talked about here on the old board, but after seeing the old Willy Wonka movie, I decided that the only good thing about it was Gene Wilder. The rest, the music, the other actors, the special effects, etc., were almost unbearable and made me cringe from beginning to end. Only Gene Wilder made a great impression and Johnny Depp's Wonka just doesn't hold a candle to his interpretation (and the cool dialog the writers gave him too).

---

-Drill Dozer (GBA)
-Naya's Quest (PC)

Offline TerraEsperZ

« Reply #27 on: May 24, 2006, 09:47:37 pm »
Incidently, without wanting to throw the discussion off-course too much, if anyone ever wants to play any of the original Build games (Duke Nukem 3D, Blood, Shadow Warrior) in Windows XP, you can find all the instructions I was talking about at the following link:

http://buildxp.deathmask.net/

I just did the whole thing for Blood and it works perfectly. Now I can set retarded people on fire and hear them scream "there's no place like home!"  as I could before :)

(Told you the game's humor was twisted!)

---

-Drill Dozer (GBA)
-Naya's Quest (PC)