Author Topic: The Legend of Zelda: 4 Swords Adventure  (Read 27570 times)

Offline Piranhaplant

The Legend of Zelda: 4 Swords Adventure
« on: January 15, 2011, 03:47:33 pm »
I am currently mapping LOZ: 4 Swords adventure for Gamecube.  These are the first ever ripped Gamecube maps at the site!  This game is going to take a long time to complete; even though there are few levels, the levels are huge, and the fact that it's for a newer system doesn't help.

I'm using a level editor for the game called EFSAdvent with help from Dolphin Emulator to rip the sprites and all other graphics.  Right now I've completed the first world and they are up on the site right now.

World 1

Level 1: Lake Hylia

Level 2: Cave of no return

Level 3: Hyrule Castle

World 2

Level 1: The Coast

Level 2: Village of the Blue Maiden

Level 3: Eastern Temple

World 3

Level 1: Death Mountain Foothills

Level 2: The Mountain Path

Level 3: Tower of Flames
« Last Edit: June 24, 2011, 10:21:15 am by Piranhaplant »
Games I have mapped--Zombies Ate My Neighbors (SNES), Mario Party 3 (N64), Super Mario Bros Deluxe (GBC), New Super Mario Bros. (DS), Mario Kart DS (DS)

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator
Re: The Legend of Zelda: 4 Swords Adventure
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2011, 07:12:02 pm »
Okay, they're up!

Aside from one original map for Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year Door which was submitted in 2008, that GameCube atlas page hadn't received new maps since 2002 - which was actually the first full year for the GameCube, and the first year that VGMaps even existed.  That's a long time ago!

(There's also still only one Xbox map that's been around since near-launch of the site, which could just as easily be a PC map.  There are many dusty corners here in VGMaps.com.)

Looking forward to the rest of the Four Swords Adventures maps, and hopefully there will be other mappable GameCube games!
« Last Edit: January 15, 2011, 07:42:37 pm by JonLeung »

Offline TerraEsperZ

« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2011, 07:17:55 pm »
You have no idea how cool that is! I was convinced (and also sad) that because it was on the GameCube, this game would never be mapped and yet you've proven me wrong :).

Even though the individual stage maps won't fit together to form a full map of the island of Hyrule, it's still neat to essentially see A Link to the Past's Hyrule but as seen up-close instead of from far away. By that I mean that Hyrule should not be a kingdom you can cross on foot in under 2 minutes and it's as if ALTTP's map was symbolic and FSA was the real thing. Anyway, I hope to see more of this!
Current project that are on hold because job burnout :
-Drill Dozer (GBA)
-Sonic 3D Blast (Genesis)
-Naya's Quest (PC)

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2011, 07:58:59 pm »
If you haven't played this with four GBAs, you really should try!

I've been trying to have monthly game/movie nights at my place the past little while, and for our first "Retro Nintendo Night" for the NES's 25th anniversary, we played three multiplayer games from each Nintendo console.  Wanting something unique for the GameCube, I dusted off Four Swords Adventures (which me and my brother only played through once with just two players), and borrowed two more GBAs and got one more GCN-GBA cable (I had three already despite having only two GBAs...).  At the party, we played the Shadow Battle versus mode with a full four players, which was frantic fun, and probably one of the best highlights of the evening, since no one in the room had played it that way before, and most people hadn't played it at all.  I was getting comments the next day about how fun that particular game was - one of my friends said he dreamed about it.  0_0  We only played it for half an hour (because we had fourteen other games to get through), but maybe one day I'll round up some friends and get through the main adventure again.

A friend who is moving decided to clear out some stuff he wasn't using, so he gave me his GameCube - now I have two!  I've seen that you can use the GBA end of the GCN-GBA cable with a GameCube equipped with a Game Boy Player (as if it were another GBA), with the GCN end connected to another GameCube (or the Wii, I suppose, so I guess I already could have done this).  Since my TV can do split-screen, that might be a neat thing to try, I just need to find a Game Boy Player on eBay for cheap one day.  I'm still waiting for the Freeloader disc (that lets you play import GameCube games) I ordered two months ago from Play-Asia.com (grrr) so that me and my brother could play my Christmas present to him - DreamMix TV World Fighters - but once I have that Freeloader, I might be tempted to pick up other Japanese GameCube games, like the Japanese version of Four Swords Adventures which has the "Tetra's Trackers" game that was cut out of the North American release.  Assuming I can figure it out, it sounds like an obscure thing a hardcore Zelda fan like myself should try (other than masochistically getting a CD-i).

So, yeah, anyway, Four Swords Adventures needs more recognition, so I'm very excited for this.  Again, everyone should find four GBAs and this game!
« Last Edit: January 15, 2011, 08:00:29 pm by JonLeung »

Offline Rew

« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2011, 05:27:31 pm »
Oh wow, I love these maps!! So colorful and thorough. You've done a superb job so far, Piranha.

Quick question, though: How come you didn't include the four Vaati-eye things at the end of the levels that you have to cut the beams for to finish the level? Or the bosses?

Still, these look great! Next time I play through FSA, I can use these to make my journeying more efficient. ;)

Can't wait to see World 2!
From the Super Smash Bros. Brawl board on GameFAQs:
The only Fox News we're interested in is breakthroughs in his metagame.

Offline Piranhaplant

« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2011, 02:12:50 pm »
I didn't add the stuff at the end simply because I was lazy and I couldn't find the textures of the eye things dumped by Dolphin.
Games I have mapped--Zombies Ate My Neighbors (SNES), Mario Party 3 (N64), Super Mario Bros Deluxe (GBC), New Super Mario Bros. (DS), Mario Kart DS (DS)

Offline Piranhaplant

« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2011, 02:42:37 pm »
I finished the next level: The Coast.

For some reason ImageShack didn't make a thumbnail for this image.

Offline Rew

« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2011, 06:27:19 am »
Looks good! I like that you use the game's font for the letters too. (What are you going to do on future maps if you have to go beyond "z"? =P)

Can't wait to see the rest of World 2!
From the Super Smash Bros. Brawl board on GameFAQs:
The only Fox News we're interested in is breakthroughs in his metagame.

Offline Piranhaplant

« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2011, 02:15:39 pm »
I'm hoping I never have to go past Z, but maybe I could resort to numbers, symbols, or aa, bb, etc.

Offline Piranhaplant

« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2011, 04:48:40 pm »
It's been a while since an update, but I have the next level done.  I've been really busy for the past month so I haven't had much time to work on it, but things are slowing down, so I should have more time now.

Check the first post for the link.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2011, 04:54:19 pm by Piranhaplant »

Offline magicbay

• this isn't me.. just a celeb i like..
« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2011, 05:13:21 pm »
I can't wait for the update to this game, seeing as how I'm playing the game and am having trouble in the village of the blue maiden section..

Offline Piranhaplant

« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2011, 10:48:12 pm »
World 2 is done! With the Eastern Temple completed, I am 25% done with this game.  I have also made some minor improvements so my previous maps.

Offline Piranhaplant

« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2011, 02:39:32 pm »
I just realized that there are certain parts of levels that are different if you are playing with one player or with a group.  Do you guys think that I should go back and add these to the maps, and what would be the best way to notate that?

Offline Peardian

• Busy busy
« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2011, 06:12:52 pm »
You could have the single-player sections off to the side, labeled as "Single Player Version" or something. How drastic are these changes, anyway?
MM (10%) - SMA3 (33%) - DNS (0%)

Come check out the Nintendo 64 Mapping Workshop!

Offline Piranhaplant

« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2011, 02:23:38 pm »
As far as I've seen, there are just rooms here and there that are different.  It varies how much these rooms are different though.  Sometimes there is only a small part of the room changed, but sometimes the entire room is different

Here is a part from Lake Hylia.  The rooms are only slightly different.

This is a room from Eastern Temple.  The rooms aren't even similar.