Author Topic: Phantasy Star Online for Dreamcast?  (Read 14777 times)

Offline magicbay

• this isn't me.. just a celeb i like..
Phantasy Star Online for Dreamcast?
« on: January 15, 2011, 05:00:23 pm »
Does anyone here ever play this old game on the dreamcast?

If so, can ya tell me anything about it?

Can I play it offline or are the servers up or have they dismantled the servers?

Can I play this game in single player mode or is this game a bust?

Anything is helpful..

Thanks.

Offline Peardian

• Busy busy
Re: Phantasy Star Online for Dreamcast?
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2011, 07:05:08 pm »
I don't know about the Dreamcast game, but you can get the PC version, and there are still servers for it. The console versions (also available for Gamecube) have an offline mode, since they obviously can't expect everyone to pay for internet access. I don't think the PC version has Offline mode, but you can always create your own private "room" and play without anyone else. As for the game itself, it's pretty fun. Combat is all action-based with ATK/DEF/accuracy stuff thrown in the mix. It's easy to pick up, and your controls can be customized to any way you like. If you're not familiar with the series, it has a sci-fi type story with some magic thrown in. You'll be fighting things from animals to monsters to robots, and the bosses are great. There are four modes of difficulty, and enough quests and randomization of dungeons/drops to keep you playing for a long time.

So basically, if you want to go online, get the PC version. If you want to only play by yourself or with friends (four player split-screen!), get the Dreamcast or Gamecube version. I recommend the Gamecube one, personally (look for "Episode 1 & 2"), as I believe there are still private PSO servers set up in case you decide you want online play after all.
MM (10%) - SMA3 (33%) - DNS (0%)

Come check out the Nintendo 64 Mapping Workshop!

Offline magicbay

« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2011, 11:51:50 am »
i've played one or two of the original Phantasy Star games when they came out years ago on the Genesis but got bored with them about half way through them and sold them.

The only Phantasy Star game I've got now is Phantasy Star Portable for the psp which I'm stuck trying to kill some huge invincible dragon monster.

I wouldn't mind getting maps for PSO but if their not around, I understand.

Offline DarkWolf

« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2011, 12:32:01 pm »
Don't get the Dreamcast version expecting split screen.  You can only do online play or single play with that version.  And even if the Dreamcast version still has servers, getting a Dreamcast on the internet when you have broadband requires an ethernet add-on (expensive) or a work-around using a computer with a modem and a proxy server (time consuming).

As far as the game goes I had fun playing it, but the solo-mode is a bit boring.  I unfortunately never got to play it online because my first Dreamcast had an issue with the disc laser to where it wouldn't read the PSO disc.  By the time I bought a replacement I didn't have access to dial-up internet.

Offline magicbay

« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2011, 03:17:55 pm »
Can ya explain the ethernet add-on?

DSL is no problem for me because i've got it for the time being and would love to know about the ethernet add-on disc.

I can't wait to start playing this game once I get a new remote for my new vcr.   ;D

Offline Peardian

• Busy busy
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2011, 05:37:25 pm »
Oh, I didn't realize the Dreamcast one didn't have splitscreen.

And as I said, the dungeons in PSO are randomized. They're not dynamically generated, but most of the levels pull from a set of different layouts for you to go through. The first level always has the same layout, but starts you in different locations and moves objects around. There's probably some kind of resource extractor for the game somewhere that could rip the game's minimaps, but it might be difficult considering it's a 3D Sega game that was on three platforms. I don't think there's even a reliable model extractor for it yet, or else I'd have me a Delsaber to toy with. :P
MM (10%) - SMA3 (33%) - DNS (0%)

Come check out the Nintendo 64 Mapping Workshop!

Offline DarkWolf

« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2011, 07:15:08 am »
The ethernet adapter isn't a disc, but a piece of hardware for the system.  It goes in the expansion slot where the modem is.

http://www.gamesfirst.com/reviews/adam/dc_ethernet/dcethernet.htm

Offline bustin98

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2011, 02:09:47 pm »
Good luck in buying a network adapter, too. Originally produced in small supplies due to the lack of broadband penetration in the late 90s early 2000s. I bought a Dreamcast when they offered it for $100, and I couldn't find one in the stores. Though I would have just used it for Quake 3, which I was already playing on the PC so it didn't matter.

And that page the Darkwolf linked, the guy was saying something about an IP address containing letters and dashes... what's up with that? IP Addresses always contain numbers, don't they? Is that some weird European thing? MAC Addresses contain letters and dashes, which is totally different than an IP Address.