Author Topic: ReBoot: The Definitive Mainframe Edition (Upcoming DVD)  (Read 12121 times)

Offline TerraEsperZ

ReBoot: The Definitive Mainframe Edition (Upcoming DVD)
« on: January 16, 2011, 10:07:12 pm »
It's finally coming out! After almost a decade and a half of waiting, ReBoot's first two seasons are coming out (both by themselves and as part of the complete series collection) on DVD this March! This is also good news for those who already have seasons 3 and 4 and find double-dipping a horrible concept.

I don't know if anyone here cares about this aside from me and JonLeung, but this finally completes my list for TV shows I wanted to see coming on DVD, the other being the complete Daria collection released earlier this year (but with all the music missing, boo). I have a friend who used to love what little he saw of the first season but I could never get him interested in the latter, darker stuff. Maybe I'll finally be able to get him interested enough that once we get to that part, he'll be too hooked to stop watching :).
Current project that are on hold because job burnout :
-Drill Dozer (GBA)
-Sonic 3D Blast (Genesis)
-Naya's Quest (PC)

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator
Re: ReBoot: The Definitive Mainframe Edition (Upcoming DVD)
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2011, 10:16:16 pm »
The scary thing is that just yesterday - honestly - I finally watched "Fast Forward: The Making of ReBoot" for the first time.  o_0

While I have all the episodes in one form or another, I feel obligated to buy this to support one of my favourite television shows of all time.

I hope it's a really good transfer to DVD, more like Beast Machines (which was really crisp) and not like Beast Wars (while still decent, you can tell it wasn't a minimal-generational copy).

I wonder if this will have both endings for "Medusa Bug"...
« Last Edit: January 16, 2011, 10:22:02 pm by JonLeung »

Offline TerraEsperZ

« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2011, 10:30:49 pm »
The sad thing with (relatively) old shows like that is that whatever extra material they end up giving us is usually a making off video and only that. I would love to see both endings to "The Medusa Bug" but what would really make that collection worth having would be both ReBoot ride films! I manage to see the first one years ago which consisted of poor camera footage taken inside interspaced with footage from "Fast Forward" I think, but nothing from the second which was about a trip inside Hexadecimal's mind. But considering how obscure those two movies are and that they'd pretty much have to re-render them to be viewed on a TV screen instead of a parabolic screen, I'm not holding my breath.
-Drill Dozer (GBA)
-Naya's Quest (PC)

Offline TerraEsperZ

« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2011, 08:11:56 pm »
Since I've already ordered the series boxset, I'll be looking into selling my Season 3 (all 4 volumes) and 4 (the corrected version) DVDs. Since they're also releasing the first two seasons in a separate boxset for people who already have the rest, this might be interesting for people looking to save money. So if anyone wants them, I'd be willing to sell the whole package for 15-20$ and assume the shipping charges myself. I'm really not looking to make money but rather to clear my shelves and recover a bit of the money spent on them.
-Drill Dozer (GBA)
-Naya's Quest (PC)

Offline TerraEsperZ

« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2011, 11:23:35 pm »
I actually received my boxset a few days ago, but I've been too busy watching it to write about it!

The good news is that the transfer is very, *very* good, having been made straight from digital masters. In fact, it probably looks better than when it aired on TV if only because an analog cable signal doesn't come near DVD-quality.

The bad news are twofold (for me at least): very little bonus content (no Medusa shorts for example), and a constant stuttering in the audio because of the way they adjusted the original 25 fps masters to play at 24 fps (thus a bit slower, necessitating a pitch correction like the original Season 4 DVD). I can't hear it in the dialog or the sound effects, but it's really obvious in the music. From reading this thread, that's the way Shout! received the masters, so apparently Rainmaker is to blame for that.

Also note that season 4 is presented as separate episodes instead of movies and the audio for those is 2.0 instead of 5.1. Apparently, Anchor Bay still had the rights to that version so they had to go with the masters for the TV broadcasts, or something like that.

Depending on how obsessive you are about audio quality, this might either make you regret your purchase of simply annoy you slightly. I'm not that bothered about it since we finally got the first two seasons and they look great. And all in all, for a 17 years old show, it looks exceptionally good. It was also nice to finally see the uncut version of "Web World War" instead of the censored ABC version. And heck, to see all episodes uncensored. It took the Internet for me to understand why the audio would sometimes go out for a second or two while watching it on ABC: they censored all the farts as well as a few off-camera punching sounds. BSnP for your convenience/annoyance everyone!
-Drill Dozer (GBA)
-Naya's Quest (PC)

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2011, 09:21:20 pm »
I held off and still haven't bought it; I guess I missed out on the lenticular thing.

With the Japanese-only G1 series coming out soon on North American DVD, not to mention repackaged Transformers and Beast Wars, I could potentially spend a lot of money if I want to try to save on shipping.  :P

Offline TerraEsperZ

« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2011, 07:34:24 am »
I'm surprised you'd choose Transformers over ReBoot, and I'm a Transformers fan! But if the boxset comes out in store at a much lower price and you get it then, then good for you on being a savvy consumer :)
-Drill Dozer (GBA)
-Naya's Quest (PC)