VGMaps
September 22, 2018, 08:05:26 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Arena: Maze of Death (Game Gear)  (Read 8982 times)
Maxim

« Reply #15 on: May 16, 2011, 02:24:41 AM »

I'm just making some notes-to-self in here - things I need to go back to do as I change the "standard" as I go along...

Stage 1:
- Change the switch to a letter label like later stages

Stage 4:
- Change letter label borders to be non-square, as in Stage 5

Stage 5:
- The intro screen needs moving
- Switch G has no corresponding door label - it's the one near the exit

I already added intros and exit labels to my local versions...
Maxim

« Reply #16 on: May 19, 2011, 11:32:38 AM »

Stage 6 done - the first underground stage. Not many physical impossibilities and those that do occur aren't too obnoxious... but there is rather annoyingly a switch there that seems to have no effect? It's already pressed (and can't be un-pressed) when you get there and there doesn't seem to be anything it might control.

Note to interested observers: the last stage of this game is an office building with elevators. I'm dreading that a bit...
Maxim

« Reply #17 on: May 21, 2011, 01:56:37 AM »

Stage 7. There are 20 in total...
Maxim

« Reply #18 on: May 22, 2011, 12:33:38 PM »

Stage 8. A few blatant physical impossibilities here...
Maxim

« Reply #19 on: May 31, 2011, 11:28:20 AM »

Stage 9 brings a new graphics set (chemical plant) and our first multi-level design - pits with elevators linking the upper and lower sections, with some overlapping. It also heavily uses long corridors with fast-moving enemies that "see" you from any distance, making it very hard work to map their starting positions.

I went with some layering of the down arrows and Z-ordering as a depth cue, meaning sometimes there's an arrow in front of a map. Avoiding overlap means some of the down arrows are ridiculously long. I may have to review this scheme if later levels get more extreme.
Maxim

« Reply #20 on: May 18, 2013, 02:20:14 PM »

I think this project is abandoned now. The stages are getting really complicated to lay out, and there are some enemies that are very hard to capture in their initial positions. I have a work in progress level 10 that I could post, but I don't see me getting any more done in the next few years.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: