Author Topic: E3 2011  (Read 22710 times)

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator
E3 2011
« on: June 05, 2011, 08:16:12 pm »
I'm really pumped up about E3 this year.  Anyone else?

As a Nintendo fan in particular, I'm of course more than ready for news on the "Project Café" reveal.  It sounds intriguing, from the little we know (or think we know), and wonder if Nintendo has the power to surprise everyone yet again, while supposedly catering to the so-called "hardcore" market.  Crazy controllers with touch screens and cameras?  What's the deal?  Sounds weird...and amazing.  Hopefully.  Plus, I'm hoping for info on 3DS titles that I can actually get excited about.  (Any Wii and DS offerings are welcome as well.)

I didn't really try going to E3 this year (I actually did go as media personnel back in 2006 when they revealed the Wii/PS3).  I certainly considered it, but I was under the impression that Project Café wouldn't be playable since it sounds like it would have a 2012 release.  But when I heard it was to be playable this year, it was already too late for media to apply...and as a general attendee, I wasn't about to play the $500 to get on the floor, espcially considering that if I had applied on time, I would've been able to get on for free.  (I'm not sure I would qualify anymore, though, since they got more picky about who could attend since 2007...)

Anyway, work is probably going to be busy this week, so I probably shouldn't be constantly refreshing my Internet browser on video game web sites all day.  And unfortunately, many sites are blocked.  This site has on and off been blocked, but currently is not.  So if anyone could post the big Nintendo news here in this topic, which should be on Tuesday at their conference, then I would really appreciate it if I can get away long enough to look here.  (Oh yeah, the 3DS will have a major update tomorrow...wonder if we'll be able to get E3 news through that.  The Internet browser sounds like it'll be going live...  Now if only I could get on the wireless network at work during the day...hmmm...wonder if the Nintendo Wi-Fi USB Connector works with the 3DS and at work?  Then again, even if it does...I should probably focus on my work...  :P)
« Last Edit: April 21, 2022, 09:21:14 am by JonLeung »

Offline Peardian

• Busy busy
Re: E3 2011
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2011, 08:36:47 pm »
I don't really care about any of the presentations besides Nintendo's, but I'll still probably read up on Microsoft's just to see what kind of stuff they show. I'm looking forward to Project Cafe, but with very few expectations. I'll be satisfied as long as I can see the system will have the same level of Nintendo quality we've been getting since the NES. As for the show itself, I'm looking forward to more on Mario for the 3DS, Kirby, a release date for Skyward Sword, and probably a surprise or two!
MM (10%) - SMA3 (33%) - DNS (0%)

Come check out the Nintendo 64 Mapping Workshop!

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2011, 01:43:50 pm »
From what I gathered just now, there wasn't much interesting out of the Microsoft conference.  Sure, there's Halo 4 and Dance Central 2.  And Kinect voice support for Mass Effect 3.  Some Xbox Live upgrade...dashboard?  And partnering with the UFC and Disney?  Okay, I guess.  I guess after the Kinect, which is still sort of "new", they wouldn't be about to reveal another accessory or even a new console yet.  Considering what we're expecting from Nintendo this year, I'm pretty sure no one's going to say Microsoft "won", when the "who won E3" debates inevitably come about.

Anyone else still anxiously waiting the 3DS system update that's expected today?  :P
« Last Edit: June 06, 2011, 08:57:36 pm by JonLeung »

Offline TerraEsperZ

« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2011, 09:54:09 pm »
I'm pretty much only excited about the Nintendo stuff. Let's hope it turns out more interesting that this year's Botcon (the official Transformers convention) which had very little in terms of actual news.
Current project that are on hold because job burnout :
-Drill Dozer (GBA)
-Sonic 3D Blast (Genesis)
-Naya's Quest (PC)

Offline Peardian

• Busy busy
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2011, 10:28:55 pm »
I completely forgot about Sony's presentation, but it seems I didn't miss anything. The NGP is now named Vita (after vitamin water) and will be more expensive than the PS3. Oh, and Sony is putting out 3D TVs. With glasses sold separately, of course! For about $70. For one pair.

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2011, 11:23:32 pm »
My first post using the new 3DS Internet Browser!  Yay!

The Vita is neat, I suppose, but I hardly see how it will be the "3DS killer" some people are making it out to be.  In the end, it comes down to the games...let's hope Nintendo has some good ones to show tomorrow!

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2011, 10:11:03 am »
I guess I'll follow Engadget's live coverage of the Nintendo conference:
http://www.engadget.com/2011/06/07/live-from-nintendos-e3-2011-keynote/

Lots of pics already, and it only just started.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2011, 10:11:55 am by JonLeung »

Offline LDK

« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2011, 10:13:38 am »

Offline Peardian

• Busy busy
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2011, 11:25:58 am »
Oh wow... that was awesome! And the speculations turned out to be rather spot-on, even the "HD screen in controller" people dismissed. And all those games! Luigi's Mansion 2! :D

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2011, 11:41:01 am »
I had to stick with the Engadget link since my workplace blocks 1Up.com...but I assume they both managed to get all the key points.

The leaks said there would be tablet-like controllers with touch screens, and the Wii U does indeed use them!  (Didn't Reggie deny that at one point?)  I think "leaks" are sometimes engineered to get some pre-hype going...but anyway, intriguing.  Playing Four Swords Adventures on the GameCube and four GBAs recently have reminded me of the potential this holds...but man, those controllers will be expensive.

Some of those third-party games look impressive...  While my purchased games will probably always be 80-90% first-party titles, it's nice to see more support, and with the controller screen, and now HDness, there are reasons for those games on the other systems to grace Nintendo's platform too.

Lots of cool 3DS games...and Smash Bros. on the 3DS and Wii U should be interesting...

Super exciting stuff, for sure!
« Last Edit: June 07, 2011, 11:42:13 am by JonLeung »

Offline Peardian

• Busy busy
« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2011, 11:50:33 am »
Oh, speaking of which, they're bringing Four Swords to DSiWare (and thus the 3DS). Also, Legend of Zelda Orchestra Concerts! In all regions! Oh and a free Ocarina of Time OST for those who register Ocarina of Time 3D early enough.

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2011, 12:21:52 pm »
Yeah, that Zelda stuff is pretty sweet.  Looking forward to attending one of those concerts.  The main theme played by an orchestra is always one of the highlights of going to Video Games Live, so now it's nice to see that the series gets a whole production on its own.

Now I know the "Wii U" is just a name, and possibly not even the final one at that...and I'm sure those in the Nintendo marketing think tank would disagree with me...but what kind of name is that?  The rumoured "Stream" wasn't as bad, and makes sense, in a way.  I get that they want to retain the "Wii" branding, fine...but "Wii U" is just pronouns slapped together.  I think I might have even preferred "Yuu".  Well, then again, maybe not.  But still...so weird!  But we'll probably get used to it in a year.  Hopefully.  Or too busy playing Super Smash Bros. [_____] to care.

I'm kind of hoping it rains tonight...then I won't feel obligated to go to ball hockey, and instead can explore the new 3DS offerings and also watch some of the Nintendo conference.  :P
« Last Edit: June 07, 2011, 12:27:48 pm by JonLeung »

Offline Peardian

• Busy busy
« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2011, 05:12:13 pm »
We were saying the same thing about the Wii name in general when it first came out. :P I'm sure we'll grow to like it once we get our hands on it.

By the way, Nintendo's Japanese site has a treasure trove of information on the games, including new trailers for Kirby Wii and Paper Mario, among other things. So much greatness. <3

Offline TerraEsperZ

« Reply #13 on: June 09, 2011, 06:48:03 am »
Pretty much the only game featured at E3 2011 so far that really interests me is Sonic Generations and sadly, it'll be available for everything *except* the Wii. It looks like a really "meta" kind of game where we'll get to play a number of classic Sonic stages in two very different gameplay styles if those Green Hills Zone and City Escape preview are to be believed!
« Last Edit: June 09, 2011, 06:48:41 am by TerraEsperZ »
Current project that are on hold because job burnout :
-Drill Dozer (GBA)
-Sonic 3D Blast (Genesis)
-Naya's Quest (PC)

Offline DarkWolf

« Reply #14 on: June 09, 2011, 07:27:45 am »
The Star Fox 64 re-release for 3DS looks cool.  It may actually push me to get a 3DS.  They actually upped the graphics a bit and it looks like there are more multiplayer stages.  Unfortunately, Zelda OoT just looks like a port from the trailer I saw.

I watched the Wii U stuff.  Not really excited about it.  I personally wouldn't have much use for most of the features I saw them using with the controller screen.