Author Topic: Brain Age (DS) Bragging  (Read 22997 times)

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator
Brain Age (DS) Bragging
« on: June 22, 2006, 09:01:10 pm »
User posted image

My brain age is consistently between 20 to 26, in other words, between the best result and my actual age (though one day I was so out of it and got a brain age of 33).

Brain Age Check

Word Memory - 30/30

Stroop Test - 50.68 s

Speed Counting - 37 s

Connect Maze - 18 s

Number Cruncher - 55.73 s

Daily Training

Calculations x 20 - 13.20 s

Calculations x 100 - 1 m 10 s

Reading Aloud - 10.5 syllables/s

Low To High - 59 pts

Syllable Count - 35 s

Head Count - 5/5

Triangle Math - 26 s

Time Lapse - 28.26 s

Voice Calculation - 44 s

Offline bustin98

• Administrator
RE: Brain Age (DS) Bragging
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2006, 09:17:00 pm »
Hmm, why is there so much space between your avatar and the post?

And how do we know those are good stats?

---

Cool beans

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2006, 09:44:57 pm »
Go play Brain Age and see.  I'm sure you can guess how good some are.  Word Memory and Head Count with those perfect scores, and imagining Calculations x 20, Calculations x 100, and Reading Aloud isn't too hard.

Until today, I was on a pretty good streak with Word Memory.  When I started I had trouble remembering 20some words in three minutes.  Then this past week I was consistently getting all 30 words with some time to spare.

Offline bustin98

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2006, 10:03:12 pm »
Thats cool that you can actually see improvement. I look forward to playing it.

---

Cool beans

Offline Revned

« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2006, 11:17:38 pm »
Interesting. I don't have the game, though. It always seemed like it would be a novelty thing that would wear off after a few days. Maybe I'll get it. Summer boredom's starting to kick in.

Offline bustin98

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2006, 07:33:47 am »
I have yet to play Super Mario Sunshine. I never actually beat Mario64. I'm trying to beat Metroid Prime 2 now. I got tired of PN03, too repetitive.

---

Cool beans

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2006, 07:44:01 am »
Super Mario Sunshine is crazy-difficult, at least compared to other Mario games if you're trying to get 100%.  Once I did, I don't think I really revisited the game.  Being only in tropical settings it didn't seem epic or varied enough.

P.N. 03 was very repetitive, I did enjoy it enough to unlock the Papillon Suit, but that was at the VERY end of my rental so I didn't use it much at all.  >_<

How could you not beat Super Mario 64, bustin?  Seriously!

Because I got two free Logitech "Dual Action" controllers at E3 that resemble PSX controllers, I can comfortably play PSX games in ePSXe.  I had a PSX controller plugged into my computer before but either the converter or the controller was messed up and one of the shoulder buttons registered as another button.  I'm partway through Legend Of Mana, and may make time for more PSX games I may want to play, if I can think of any that I haven't already played.  And I've recently had a lot of other PC games on my plate to catch up on various series (Silent Hill 3, going to play 4 soon, Prince Of Persia: Warrior Within, going to play Prince Of Persia: The Two Thrones soon, etc.).

But I should spend time this weekend updating the site with the slew of Twinsen maps I got this past week.  And I've been meaning to catch up on making more random thumbnails for the front page and new front-page feature things.

Back on topic, I always have to make time for Brain Age.  It keeps a graph of your daily progress, and when I'm playing against my brother, I can't miss a day!  And it's good for your brain, too.

Another game that came out recently, Big Brain Academy, has more exercises and a more varied multiplayer challenge (Brain Age just has Calculations x 30 for something like up to 16 people, but Big Brain Academy has every challenge available for all) but without a necessity to play every day, once you get all the medals, I don't think there's much to revisit.  I have all the Golds, I suppose I could get all the Platinums, but really...if you were interested, my Big Brain Academy's calculation of my brain mass is something like 1400 grams.  Which isn't much to brag about even though I thought I did well, I think the game says that's average.  I suppose I could try to get to 2000 grams, but without a graph, it's too easy to put aside.

Offline Revned

« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2006, 11:24:56 am »
Super Mario Sunshine was fun, but it wasn't as memorable as Super Mario 64. I'm not the completionist you are, so I doubt if I'll ever get 100%. I did get all the stars in Super Mario 64, though. That's one of the few games that can hold my interest until I've finished everything. That reminds me, I still have about 3 star coins left in New Super Mario Bros....

Offline bustin98

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2006, 12:58:35 am »
What a coincidence. My wife came home from work with a copy of Brain Age. I didn't even tell her I was thinking about it. I pointed it out while looking at the DS's though.

She is in major need of help with memory skills, so hopefully it will help. Her first Age was 60. Mine was 53. Looks to be fun though.

---

Cool beans

Offline Revned

« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2006, 01:26:50 am »
My first age was 44 :/

Offline Mahrla

« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2006, 03:14:08 am »
How can you done Calculations x 20 so fast? My best is 17,00 seconds.

Do you repeat the game until you get lucky with the numbers? I mean it's faster to write only numbers with one digit (0, 1, 2, ...) than numbers with two digits (56, 63, 72, ..).

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2006, 03:42:42 pm »
You think I'm fast?  My brother shames me in some of them, especially the Calculations.  He did Calculations x 20 in 10 seconds!

He's really good at Time Lapse, too, but that's one of the later training exercises you guys won't have until you've done Daily Training for 15 days.  That really bugs me because I think I've gotten used to digital clocks.

Offline Revned

« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2006, 04:21:00 pm »
Do you actually read aloud in Reading Aloud? I only go about half as fast as you. I'm sure I could go faster if I didn't actually say the words aloud.

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2006, 05:00:49 pm »
I did read aloud, but then when my brother was getting higher scores by not doing so (Dr. Ryuta said it was okay) I was, like, screw it, I might as well read silently too.

I'm guessing, though, it would probably be more beneficial to actually read out loud, for some good brain-tongue coordination.

Offline Revned

« Reply #14 on: June 24, 2006, 05:20:10 pm »
I see. I do think it will help more to actually say the words aloud. On a side note, I finally got under 20 seconds in Calculations x 20. I got 18 :). The most annoying thing is how often it misinterprets my writing. It's worst for my 8s; it always thinks I'm writing a 6. It's bad, because when I get it wrong even though I tried to write the correct answer, it disrupts my concentration and I slow down a lot.