Author Topic: Corrider 7 and Catacomb 3D on the PC?  (Read 15003 times)

Offline magicbay

• this isn't me.. just a celeb i like..
Corrider 7 and Catacomb 3D on the PC?
« on: July 02, 2011, 06:50:12 am »
I was wondering if anyone has made maps for these two pc games and if not, could someone map them?

Thanks in advance for whoever takes these two projects up and submitting the maps in what ever is possible.

Offline Trop

Re: Corrider 7 and Catacomb 3D on the PC?
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2011, 03:59:43 pm »
This looks like a job for Dark Wolf.  That's right, passing the buck.

Offline magicbay

« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2011, 05:24:01 pm »
maybe ya could do one and dark wolf could do the other?

i'll be happy with what ever maps get submitted to the site for those two games.

Offline Trop

« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2011, 05:58:13 pm »
Actually I was referring to Dark Wolf's trick where he uses HTML to map out those games that look 3D but are actually 2D.  These are those kinds of games right?

Offline magicbay

« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2011, 08:19:05 am »
their sort of like wolfensten 3D as far as graphics wise but not near as advanced as wolfensten 3D in gameplay or in-game mapping.

i don't know if that helps ya much but it's the best i can do at the wording for those games.

Offline Will

« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2011, 09:26:37 am »
It's different if you're looking for in-game maps. Birdseye view in-game maps like the ones from the Super Nintendo version of Wolfenstein 3D and the Catacomb Trilogy (Consisting of Catacomb Abyss, Armageddon and Apocalypse) might be the style you seek. Mind you Corridor 7 does have in-game maps, but they are quite vague with only blue and grey colours, yellow dots to indicate enemy positions and red dots wherever the player places mines. Is this Catacomb you are talking about fully titled as "Catacomb 3-D: The Descent"?
« Last Edit: July 05, 2011, 09:30:07 am by Will »

Offline magicbay

« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2011, 09:50:27 am »
the catacomb one i've got has the face of the player in the upper right corner, a nuke pic below it and all the stuff ya can collect during the course of the game.

i may be missing a few things on the screen but it's somewhat like the heretic and hexxen games i think as far as what the game's display kinda looks like.

i can send the game to whoever wants to take a look at it so they can see what the game is like or i can post the website here if i'm allowed to post websites here that has pc games to download.

Offline DarkWolf

« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2011, 07:04:31 am »
The only other Wolf-3d-type game I wanted to do was Body Count.  But that game has a lot of special blocks and some rendering challenges.  Unfortunately these maps don't assemble themselves.  Even with the PHP scripts I still have to get the graphics and match them to their corresponding wall ids individually.  Things like doors and special objects or walls need to have special handling in the code.  I have to figure out most of that stuff by trial and error. I probably won't do anymore anytime soon, if someone is interested in the source, I could give you my resources for Wolf3d or one of the Blake Stone games.  It's really messy though, as I was more concerned about the final result than what someone would think of my code later.

Offline Grizzly

« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2011, 02:00:14 pm »
Do your sources include scripts for decoding the level data out of the GameMaps file? Or do you have a different program for doing so? Because I've read (on the linked site) that Catacomb 3D uses the same maps format as Wolfenstein 3D and getting the level data seems the hardest part because it uses multiple compressions (RLEW and Carmack compression) and I don't feel like writing a decompression script if I am not sure that it will work afterwards (the wiki description is a bit vague about how RLEW (de)compression is done for the GameMaps file).

Offline DarkWolf

« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2011, 09:19:25 am »
I used a program called MapEd to open the maps then save them in its uncompressed format (which was really simple).  I had the same idea, I didn't want to deal with compression.