Author Topic: How soon after launch do you think you'll be personally Wiiing?  (Read 10667 times)

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator
Nintendo systems and how long it took me to get them:

NES - a few years

GB - many years

Super NES - eleven months

N64 - four months

GBC - within a month

GBA - the day after, evening

GCN - launch day, morning, hour after store opening

DS - launch day, morning, half-hour after store opening

Wii - ?

There's always been less time between the launch "moment" and my acquisition of one (with the exceptions of the Game Boy (I didn't get an original Game Boy, I got a Game Boy Pocket when Pok?mon came out which was WAY later) and the Virtual Boy (rented but never bought)).

This means that I should obtain a Wii on the morning of launch day (whenever that is), hopefully in less than half an hour to maintain the streak. I'm not aware of any midnight releases around here so it's all dependent on store hours, unfortunately.

A few more Nintendo systems and I'll have to start getting them BEFORE they officially come out. >_>

(I played some Wiis at E3 but that doesn't count, 'cause I played Japanese N64s months before it came out in North America. Glad to see that launches have gotten closer by region...and the DS came out in North America before Japan if I recall correctly.)

Working off the assumption that you'll want a Wii, how soon will you get yours?

Offline Revned

RE: How soon after launch do you think you'll be personally Wiiing?
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2006, 12:42:55 pm »
I got the first three quite awhile after their releases since I was so young. I got my N64, my GBC, and my GCN at Christmas just a few months late. I got my GBA and DS at launch day, right when the store opened. No, I didn't wait around the storefront for hours beforehand. Oh, and I got a Virtual Boy at a garage sale for $15 2 or 3 years ago.

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2006, 12:49:31 pm »
If you're getting it for Christmas, be sure you reenact the infamous "Nintendo 64 Kid" video.

It may be old now but it would be funny again upon the launch of a new Nintendo console.

Furiously paw the box, have your sister dry-hump it, and shout "Nintendo WIIIIIIIII!" exactly as he says "Nintendo SIXTY-FOOOOOOOUR!" Since you're not a seven-year-old kid, if the scene is exactly the same otherwise, it might even be funnier.  You'd be an instant celebrity.

Start rehearsing now.

Offline Revned

« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2006, 12:53:23 pm »
Yeah, how about not :P

Offline DarkWolf

« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2006, 06:12:46 pm »
The only system I bought on release day was my Dreamcast.  Everything else I've waited at least a year.

Offline bustin98

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2006, 11:54:27 pm »
Release day for the Wii. Same with the Gamecube. I wasn't much of a gamer before that though. I got the N64 as a surprise birthday gift a few years after release. I never even asked for it. I had no idea what I was missing. My SNES was bought the year before the N64 came out or maybe after, don't remember now. The NES I had quite soon after launch. I had the one with ROB the Robot. And then I had a Gameboy the Christmas after it launched. Never had a color one. I got the GBA on launch day, though I wished I had waited for the SP. And now I have the DSLite. I wasn't excited at all about it, till I saw NSMB. Its totally worth it.

---

Cool beans