Author Topic: SNES platform game character ratings  (Read 117766 times)

Offline Trop

Re: SNES platform game character ratings
« Reply #75 on: December 14, 2011, 06:59:24 pm »
Bubsy Bobcat (Bubsy)
At first he looked cute but god how I grew to hate him.  I usually play both games in a series, if more then one appears on the SNES, and pick the better of the two to rate and this time it's actually the first!   Busby's only real positive trait is his jumping, which can go really damn high.  He's not very maneuverable for something so small.  He tends to be one of those characters that sticks to the ground.  His offense is limited to jumping off enemy heads. His versatility goes as far as a weak gliding move.  And his defense, heh, he has none.  This is the real downfall of this game, he dies if he stubbes his toe.  His speed makes it worse and makes this game the worst kind of twitchy.  I'm sure he'd fail at even the simplest of other platformers if exported.  A bad Sonic clone.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2012, 10:21:20 pm by Trop »

Offline Trop

« Reply #76 on: December 14, 2011, 07:01:09 pm »
Simon Belmont (Super Castlevania 4)
I'm sure you've all played this one.  Simon is slow and he can't really jump.  His maneuverability sucks too.  Fortunately he can take a pounding, man can he take a pounding.  In most of the boss battles, if you enter with full health, you can just attack like crazy and they'll die before you do.  Of course Simon's upgradeable offense helps this.  With a fully upgraded whip Simon has great range and does devastating damage in all directions.  He even has a little move that lets you flail the whip around.  His versatility is pretty flat but it's not an issue in this game.  If exported to another game however it might be a problem.  I think Simon would be a drag in most platformers since he's a walking brick.  But he sure can kill things.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2012, 06:03:38 pm by Trop »

Offline Trop

« Reply #77 on: December 19, 2011, 01:16:45 pm »
Richter Belmont (Castlevania 5)
Richter isn't quite his ancestor.  His offense lacks Simon's all around attack having exchanged it for something similar to area magic.  An MP draining downgrade in my opinion.  The Vampire Killer can no longer be upgraded, nor can it be used to hook on to things, so there's a loss of versatility too but neither problems bring down the game.  Richter has great defense as you would expect from any muscle man character.  And along those same lines his jumping and maneuverability suck.  Fortunately his quickness when it comes to consecutive jumps saves him from constantly dieing.  I think Richter would make a funny export.  His ability to stand and deliver damage might get him through a lot, but I think more creative enemies might be too much for him.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2012, 06:03:24 pm by Trop »

Offline Trop

« Reply #78 on: December 21, 2011, 08:57:11 pm »
Whirlo (Whirlo)
I love this game but I hate it too.  It's creative but Whirlo himself is a disaster of a character.  His worst stat by far is his maneuverability, which would be non existent if not for all his moves.  He has both high jumps and long jumps but they're hard to time given his lead feet.  Much like Busby a slight breeze will kill Whirlo and he has to recover from jumps of almost any height so no points for defense.  He's slightly versatile being able to climb and knock certain objects around.  The single stat that gets him through the game is his offense.  He can rapidly strike forward, spin strike while in the air, down strike while in the air, and launch a special attack.  For reasons not related to any of this I could talk on and on about this game.  I think something serious was dropped in translation.  In any case I would never export Whirlo.  His offense is great but he only really excels at getting himself killed.

Offline Trop

« Reply #79 on: January 05, 2012, 09:32:16 am »
Chester Cheetah (Chester Cheetah 2)
More product placement with less then stellar results.  Chester is a sky master.  He has a high jump that takes him way off screen and he can continuously jump through mid air.  His maneuverability is terrible though as he is just too cool rush so when he does run he dies fast.  And speaking of dies he's about as tough as the Kongs, although his defense can be item bolstered.  His offense is OK and he can combo jump off heads like Mario.  His versatility is greater then it needs to be, giving his virtual flying ability, as he can swim, ledge grab, and break some ceilings or floors.  Chester sure would be fun to use in another game since he can get away from danger so fast, but it would always be a survival challenge.
BTW this game would be a breeze to map.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2012, 05:59:36 pm by Trop »

Offline Trop

« Reply #80 on: January 08, 2012, 07:38:52 pm »
Yakko Warner, Wakko Warner, & Dot Warner (Animaniacs)
These three have almost negative defense.  One hit returns any of them to their water tower and you have to exit whatever level you're in to go back and get them, so no DK barrel here.  Their offense is OK but real damage can only be done when the local environment provides opportunity.  Jumping and maneuverability are also basically average but fortunately this game doesn't often  stress the player in either area.  Versatility is the Warner's best attribute since they can form a tower to reach higher areas, break or pick up some objects, climb, ect.  There's no performance difference between Yakko, Wakko, or Dot and like other toon characters they're a little too much like a beach ball, bright and bouncy, to handle rougher games.  Export to simple games maybe but nothing with guns.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2012, 06:02:20 pm by Trop »

Offline Trop

« Reply #81 on: January 16, 2012, 10:51:15 am »
Bonkers (Bonkers)
A bit of an oddball some of Bonkers stats are low because others are high.  Bonkers main move is his dash which boosts his defense and acts as an attack.  Of course his defense doesn't really need help since it's upgradable throughout the game and by the end he can wind up with a lot of health.  His offense, also upgradable, needs no assistance either since he can toss or roll bombs or jump off enemy heads.  While the dash extends Bonkers jump it doesn't really improve it from being average and his maneuverability suffers while he's moving at speed.  His versatility however does get better the faster he goes as the dash provides new moves.  If Bonkers' dash were as easy to control as Sparksters jet pack it would give all stats a boost, but it isn't.  Also this game has unusually aggressive enemies that can be hard to hit.  That said Bonkers would probably be a good export since he was designed for difficulty.  Definitely not you're usual toon.

Offline Trop

« Reply #82 on: February 25, 2012, 01:45:48 pm »
Aladdin (Aladdin)
Aladdin fits the standard action man model.  His jumping is of average height and distance.  His maneuverability is slightly above what most people could do.  And his offense is limited by his lack of equipment.  But in this case at least he's more of a video game character then a movie character since his defense is expandable.  Being Aladdin his versatility is where he really shines.  He can ledge grab, swing, climb, duck, and even flip of some objects.  Overall he's a little slow and there are characters that can pull similar stunts with greater accuracy.  But I think he'd do OK in most games if exported.

Offline Trop

« Reply #83 on: February 26, 2012, 10:58:25 pm »
Rex Ronan (Rex Ronan Experimental Surgeon)
On to the after school special games, there are a bunch of these on the snes.  Rex can shoot in all directions and his weapon can be upgraded, but that said he's probably got the worst version of such equipment in the video game universe.  His defense is great to spite the fact that he's got no invincibility period and most of his deaths are due to exceeding the time limit.  His versatility, except for his weapon changes, is nonexistent.  His jumps are high but not very long and his maneuverability is extremely low.  His game is in fact a little to hard for him.  Of course I'm sure he'd flop in other games too.  Rex would be great in any platformer where enemies mindlessly impale themselves on you but since that's not many for an export he is a no.  Why do I get the sinking feeling that of all the other "let's learn about healthy living" games this will be the best one.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2012, 06:01:57 pm by Trop »

Offline Trop

« Reply #84 on: February 27, 2012, 05:56:14 pm »
Asterix (Asterix)
Normally if there's more then one game in a series here I'll just take the better of the two, but in this case the character in question is so different between games I'm splitting them up.  Not to many comic book character's reviewed yet, hopefully Asterix isn't an average example for them.  Asterix's attack does decent damage but it's range is almost nonexistent.  His defense isn't great for his game either and he dies a lot.  His versatility is OK and he can duck, climb, swim.  I'm surprised by just how many characters so far reviewed die when faced with the challenge of getting their feet wet.   Asterix's jumping is just what you want from a basic platform character but his maneuverability is weak and like Aladdin he has a slight slide when stopping.  If it wasn't for his two inch attack  Asterix would do alright in most games but I think exporting him would lead to more frustration then anything else.

Offline Trop

« Reply #85 on: February 29, 2012, 10:12:03 am »
Umihara Kawase (Umihara Kawase)
This is kind of an odd platformer so it needs an odd review.  Under certain conditions Umihara would make a great export.  This is because to spite the fact she's a relatively simple character her game is up near the top as far as difficulty goes.  Only super characters who can fly or wall walk would be able to get anywhere in it like Kirby or Mega Man X.  Speaking of X much like him Umi's offense and versatility are one in the same.  She uses a fishing line / grappling hook which can immobilize any target or get her just about anywhere in the level.  Her maneuverability is also tied in with this weapon / tool as she can swing herself around by it and she spends far more time hanging from it then actually walking around.  Her jumping is average at best but of course it's not regularly needed, again, odd for a platformer.  Umi's defense is terrible but she can survive small hits only being stunned.  Game play in Umihara Kawase borders on tactical but it never loses it's platform game feel and Umi certainly is a unique character.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2012, 06:01:08 pm by Trop »

Offline Trop

« Reply #86 on: March 03, 2012, 11:25:25 pm »
Obelix (Asterix & Obelix)
Not a lot to say about Obelix, he's a pretty average character.  His maneuverability is about average and he's not slow to spite his size.  He's as versatile as he needs to be lacking any real tricks or moves.  His jumping is weak and his offense is terrible, being ranged too short even with a charged attack, just like Asterix's.  His defense could get a better rating but the game has an odd damage / healing system.  With the exception of his attack Obelix might make a decent export to mid difficulty level games.  So far comic book characters aren't holding up well.  I hope that changes when I get to Spawn.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2012, 06:01:21 pm by Trop »

Offline Trop

« Reply #87 on: March 05, 2012, 06:00:16 pm »
Speedy Gonzales (Speedy Gonzales)
Speedy's not Sonic, but he's close.  Like the hedgehog the mouse can make incredibly long jumps once he's going fast.  He's also very maneuverable and can practically land and jump off the head of a pin.  The only problem is, like Sonic, once Speedy's going fast you have almost no time to react when you hit danger.  Fortunately Speedy has a great forward attack that acts defensively, also like Sonic's.  If Busby had something similar he'd be the same high ranking speedster echelon as these guys, but speed plus no defense equals death so no.  Speedy's defense seems better then it is since he's got a case of one stat modifying the other; his speed allowing him to pass several dangers during post hit invincibility when a normal character could only pass one or two.  He could do a lot better on versatility but he's OK overall.  Speedy would make the same kind of export Sonic would: zipping around the level only to get stuck on a single puzzle for fifteen straight minutes.  He'd probably do great in any Mario universe.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2012, 06:00:24 pm by Trop »

Offline Trop

« Reply #88 on: March 07, 2012, 05:52:31 pm »
Heroes (The Hurricanes)
Have I mentioned how much I'm surprised by how well all the characters adapted from cartoons are scoring?  These guys, whatever their names are, are no exception.  As soccer stars they kick around a soccer ball, which can gain various temporary upgrades, to attack enemies.  It's an OK level of offense.  Their defense is pretty good and they can withstand a decent amount of damage.  Their versatility, the majority coming from their offense, could be better.  It's in the jumping/maneuverability department that they shine/stink.  You'd think a soccer star would have great maneuverability and kind of useless jumping, but these guys have the reverse.  Both heroes can launch soaring high jumps leaping straight up to ledges you'd swear were out of reach, but then they'll skid off those ledges.  They even have a funny running in mid air animation before they fall.  I don't know maybe I'm not giving them enough credit.  Action and stat wise both characters play exactly the same with good attacks, resistance, and speed.  But for some reason I see them having a hard time on export, skidding into damage more often then avoiding it, and waiting helplessly for another soccer to appear ball having popped the first somehow.

Offline Troy Lundin

« Reply #89 on: March 09, 2012, 12:04:44 am »
Busby (Busby)
At first he looked cute but god how I grew to hate him.  I usually play both games in a series, if more then one appears on the SNES, and pick the better of the two to rate and this time it's actually the first!   Busby's only real positive trait is his jumping, which can go really damn high.  He's not very maneuverable for something so small.  He tends to be one of those characters that sticks to the ground.  His offense is limited to jumping off enemy heads. His versatility goes as far as a weak gliding move.  And his defense, heh, he has none.  This is the real downfall of this game, he dies if he stubbes his toe.  His speed makes it worse and makes this game the worst kind of twitchy.  I'm sure he'd fail at even the simplest of other platformers if exported.  A bad Sonic clone.

Catchiest music ever. Btw, his name is Bubsy.