Author Topic: SNES platform game character ratings  (Read 117782 times)

Offline TerraEsperZ

Re: SNES platform game character ratings
« Reply #105 on: August 28, 2014, 09:59:44 pm »
I've always hated such cheap drama, and it's one of the reason why I don't consider the sequel canon. The original was perfect all the way through and I much prefer an open ending to a crappy closed one.
Current project that are on hold because job burnout :
-Drill Dozer (GBA)
-Sonic 3D Blast (Genesis)
-Naya's Quest (PC)

Offline Trop

« Reply #106 on: August 29, 2014, 12:55:05 pm »
And so many series have sold out that way.  Games ain't what they used to be.

Offline Trop

« Reply #107 on: August 29, 2014, 01:39:31 pm »
Kit Walker (Phantom 2040)
A silly outfit beguiles a lot of ability.  Much like Samus or Firebrand the Phantom starts off relatively weak and grows throughout the game.  In fact the only thing holding him back is lack of balance so I'll just talk about that.  He can jump high but not far and lacks jumping control.  Which is strange since he's very sure footed on the ground, dividing his maneuverability awkwardly.  His offense is truly mighty by the end of the game but it too is awkward and lacks real force trump cards.  His defense only grows via HP extensions so it feels kind of cheap.  Like Batman he has good tools boosting his versatility but they never seem to be useful right when they most would be.  Overall the Phantom is a great character, I just can't bring myself to like the guy.  He'd stomp almost any other game.

Offline Trop

« Reply #108 on: August 29, 2014, 03:27:02 pm »
Alex (Dragon View)
What's this?  An RPG character!?  Well for an action RPG I thought this game was built like a platformer so.  Alex is a great character.  He's fast and hits hard.  In fact the only average part of him is his jumping which is ...average.  His maneuverability is twitch fast and he turns on a dime.  His versatility is boosted by all the little event items and trinkets you get in any RPG.  Alex shines the most with his offense, like most RPG characters.  By the end of the game he's got a variety of moves, magic, and techniques, and he can really be a devastator.  His defense grows in the same way with armor and levels.  It makes me wonder how powerful other platform character could become if they could level up.  And yes I know that's kind of cheating for Alex but even at level one most of his stats make a great platform character and he'd be tough to beat in lots of games.

Offline Trop

« Reply #109 on: September 14, 2014, 09:55:47 am »
Hercules (Gods)
Doesn't quite live up to the legend.  Hercules has stuck to the ground syndrome, just like Spawn or The Master.  He mimics them in a lot of ways in fact.  His jumping is OK but slow which makes his maneuverability bad.  His offense is high but would be higher if it was easier to control.  His defense is only poor since he has no invincibility period.  His versatility is based largely on his game so in other games he'd suffer.  Gods is a fun game but if you have to pick a beefcake to play as pick a different one.

Offline Trop

« Reply #110 on: September 15, 2014, 10:28:20 am »
Mazinger Z (Mazinger Z)
Ouch, no lives or continues.  One death in this game and you have to start all over.  Much like several other games Mazinger Z is a good example of why you shouldn't cross a beat em up and a platformer.  Bad jumping plus bad maneuverability makes Mazinger Z another "stuck to the ground" character.  On top of that it has no versatility whatsoever.  Fortunately it can take a beating and it's got lots of different attacks.  You won't find many enemies out of reach and only sluggishness keeps Mazinger Z from being a total destroyer.  An OK character for other games I guess but you might want to make sure you've got your scale right so you can just step on your foes as a giant robot.

Offline Trop

« Reply #111 on: September 16, 2014, 10:48:47 am »
Fievel (An American Tail Fievel Goes West)
Nothing to see her folks, move along.  Fievel is more or less an average character.  His jumping is just fine.  His maneuverability is ever so slightly slippy and he goes off edges.  His defense is about what you'd expect and can be slightly upgraded.  His offense is bad even with upgrades, and his versatility largely comes from his offense.  If he had adjustments to his offense and maneuverability he'd be a quick little assassin, but otherwise Fievel is just a humdrum character.  His voice sound strangely like Whirlo's.

Offline Trop

« Reply #112 on: September 16, 2014, 04:37:25 pm »
Alex Murphy (Robocop 3)
GOD AWFUL.  Really bad game featuring a really bad character.  Robocop is a total brick with no maneuverability and almost no jumping ability.  Not that it matters since there's almost no platforming in this platform game.  Being Robocop he does have great offense but he runs out of ammo fast and then your dead.  His defense looks great from the outset but he has no invincibility period so combos take him down fast.  He has no versatility at all.  His terrible game is almost perfect for him since it's just straight forward beefcake butchering.  ...Anything more from me here would just be a rant so I'll stop now.

Offline Trop

« Reply #113 on: September 22, 2014, 01:44:17 pm »
Alex Murphy (Robocop Vs. the Terminator)
Now this is how Robocop should be.  Slow yes but lots of power.  This Robocop is slightly more maneuverable then the last so his jumping is a little better.  A decent invincibility period and a lot of health give him above average defense.  He's versatile with the ability to swing from hand rails and his weapons can destroy some objects.  Of course his offense is where he shines as the game allows him several different devastating guns.  In fact the only reason he lacks a max offense rating is that the terminators are so damn tough.  In any other game Robocop would destroy most bosses in seconds.  And it would be lots of fun to see how he'd handle being in another game with so much force and so little speed.

Offline Trop

« Reply #114 on: September 29, 2014, 01:39:11 pm »
Packy and Marlon (Packy & Marlon)
This is one of those product pushing, disguised as educational, games about diabetes.  I shouldn't say much here since I can't clear a single level of the game without dying in a diabetic coma.  I'm just not sure how to keep the little elephants alive.  They are clones of each other gameplay wise.  They jump poorly but make up for it with an albeit weak gliding ability.  Their maneuverability is standard.  Their offense is low damage but but their rate of fire and variety of weapons brings them back up to a normal rating.  Their defense is slightly better then average.  Their versatility is perfectly average.  They'd be as weak in any other game as they are in this one.

Offline Trop

« Reply #115 on: September 30, 2014, 08:35:45 am »
Michael Jordan (Michael Jordan Chaos in the Windy City)
Michael is great.  I'll say it right now, he'd be great in almost any other game.  Michael can jump almost three times his own height and has a screen clearing spinning jump.  His versatility is just short of total due in no small part to his Mega Man style weapons.  Weapons, different kinds of basketballs, which give him incredible offense like homing, elemental, exploding, or multiplying shots all at great speed.  His defense is naturally high with expandable HP.  Michael's only slip is his slipping on landings which lowers his maneuverability to normal.  Overall a great character.  Play this game now.

Offline Trop

« Reply #116 on: October 03, 2014, 11:28:34 pm »
Harry (Hammering Harry)
Not completely sure what's going on in this game.  Harry is a funny character.  He's got great offense, swinging his upgradable hammer around in all directions.  In fact he's only just shy of max offense since his special moves are overly difficult to use.  Also like many characters his weapon provides a versatility boost.  His defense is good too since he can take quite a few hits and upgrade this and that.  His jumping will surprise you.  More then once I thought I couldn't teach ledges above me but I was wrong.  He only falters in his maneuverability being a little slow and not reacting when you want him too.  He's a great character though.  Quick and dangerous he'd do great in other games.

Offline Trop

« Reply #117 on: October 04, 2014, 02:55:09 pm »
Whizz (Whizz)
Magic mushroom downing rabbit stars in only 3D SNES platformer.  Whizz is indeed the only 3D platformer on the SNES, and it's pretty boring.  Ratings can still be applied though.  Whizz isn't much of a jumper but he can surprise you since he's so fast.  Unfortunately he's a little too fast costing him maneuverability and lives.  His offense is average at simple but effective.  His defense is a strange combo of vulnerability to combos along with a good amount of HP which balances out.  He has no real versatility but all the tools in his world balance this for him.  This game could have been made by someone on mushrooms.  It could also be the inspiration for Sonic 3D Blast.  Don't export Whizz.  He can't handle the harsh requirements of standard 2D platforming.

Offline Trop

« Reply #118 on: October 05, 2014, 05:35:52 pm »
Jonathan Harker (Bram Stoker's Dracula)
This game is essentially a bad Castlevania.  It seems like one of those games that was supposed to be 8 bit but ended up 16 instead.  Jonathan has horrible defense and dies quickly and frequently.  His offense is just as bad, making you think you're playing Lagoon, running out of what little ammo you can find almost immediately.  His jumping and maneuverability are perfectly average, and his versatility is more or less not there.  He feels like a Bitmap Brothers reject, don't export him.

Offline Trop

« Reply #119 on: October 22, 2014, 07:55:51 pm »
Milon (Do-Re-Mi Fantasy)
None of the musical games I've ever played have really been about music.  And this one is no different, but at least it's got a great character.  On the surface Milon might seem like a push over, and defense wise he is since he can only tolerate three hits max.  But he's remarkably quick and can out maneuver almost any enemy, so his maneuverability is high.  His jumping is greatly boosted by an item that turns his falls into glides, think Dixie Kong, so he's great there too.  His offense is somewhat strange though.  He can jump on enemy heads to stun them and turn them into platforms, or he can shoot bubbles at them then give them a hit to send them flying.  Since Milon is an item using character his versatility slowly grows and by the end of the game it's pretty good.  In total he's a little strange since he's so surprisingly quick and his offense seems to be a subsidiary of his defense.  He be a wild card outside of his game, which is why I'd totally export him.