Author Topic: RE: Coolest movie death sequence  (Read 21326 times)

Offline TerraEsperZ

RE: Coolest movie death sequence
« on: July 08, 2006, 12:46:49 pm »
There's this old sci-fi horror movie playing right now on TV called "Ghost In the Machine". It's really stupid in principle, with this serial killer dying and haivng his consciousness transfered into electrical impulses that can travel into and control any electrical appliance and kills people for fun.

I just saw this hilarious sequence where the killer goes into a microwave and starts cranking out microwaves like it was hell on earth. This old man comes into the kitchen, sees an inferno taking place inside the oven with the electrical cord melted and everything, and he *opens the oven*, which then starts sending intense microwaves throughout the kitchen. Electrical arcs are happening everywhere, popcorn is popping out of its box, bananas are exploding and the guy is rosting in place with bubbles all over his body and all kinds of similar things. I'm sorry, I'm usually queasy about seeing people die in movies but this was just so over the top I couldn't help but laugh!

---

"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably." [...] The first time any man's freedom is trodden on, we're all damaged. - Captain Jean-Luc Picard

B*tch, meet reality. Reality, meet b*tch. - Me
Current project that are on hold because job burnout :
-Drill Dozer (GBA)
-Sonic 3D Blast (Genesis)
-Naya's Quest (PC)

Offline Revned

« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2006, 02:00:46 pm »
Coolest or funniest? One of my favorites is in Kurosawa's Throne of Blood, a version of Macbeth. The Macbeth character's troops realize that the prophecy about his defeat wasn't actually impossible and that it was coming quickly. They turn on him and shoot hundreds of arrows at him as he tries to escape them. It's hard to describe, but it was done masterfully. The arrows they used were actually real because Kurosawa wanted the actor's fear to be real.

Offline TerraEsperZ

« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2006, 02:10:47 pm »
Either as long as you liked it. I know I'm a sucker for heroic death; Maximus' death in Gladiator always makes me cry for one. As for funniest, there were several in the first "Toxic Avenger" movie that were just too over the top!

---

"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably." [...] The first time any man's freedom is trodden on, we're all damaged. - Captain Jean-Luc Picard

-Drill Dozer (GBA)
-Naya's Quest (PC)

Offline CleverConveyence

« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2006, 07:11:23 pm »
Any death from Walker Texas Ranger or James Bond.

Offline DarkWolf

« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2006, 09:29:14 am »
I've seen the movie Ghost in the Machine.  I guess they couldn't afford a technical advisor for the movie, because it's filled with improbability.

The best death comes from The Tragedy of Titus Andronicus (which has been made into a movie or two) where Titus kills the Empress' sons and bakes them into the pies on which the Emperor and Empress later dine.

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2006, 10:34:00 am »
After catching the latter half of Stuart Little 2 on TV yesterday and most of A Bug's Life (also on TV) a couple weeks ago, I was thinking about writing about the deaths (or implied deaths) of villains in children's movies before I remembered this topic.

*SPOILERS* I mean, the villains of the two movies I mentioned are eaten!  Or implied to be.  In Stuart Little 2, after getting slammed in a game of chicken by a toy plane at high speed, the falcon is implied as about to be eaten after falling into a trash can where an alley cat is looking for food.  In A Bug's Life, Hopper (a grasshopper) is grabbed by a bird and dropped into the mouths of a bunch of cute baby chicks.  Being eaten (and while alive!) is a pretty gruesome death.  When you consider that these are kid's movies, it's a bit more icky.  And yet it is the norm...a movie like Cars which doesn't have a true villain then seems like it's missing something.  Or so I hear.

Being a film studies student while I was in university, I have actually also seen Throne Of Blood, Toxic Avenger and Titus.  Neat.

Offline DarkWolf

« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2006, 11:58:29 am »
The amount of death and unpleasentness in children's stories and fairy tales is a hot topic of discussion amongst some people.  Remember Little Red Riding Hood?  Poor Grandma is eaten, and she is not even a villian in the story.

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2006, 12:33:40 pm »
If we're going to focus on non-cartoony human deaths, I still think it's kind of hard to top the part in Raiders Of The Lost Ark where the Nazis open up the Ark and then they melt, with a focus on their faces.

Reminds me of a scene in Parasite Eve (the PlayStation game) where people in an outdoor theatre melt (actually, it's because the mitochondria in their cells revolt, but the people are still essentially liquefying) and another scene near the end of the Neon Genesis Evangelion movie where nearly all humans turn to liquid.  Eeeew.

Are we talking about coolest or grossest again?

I guess a pretty good death that's not mass liquidation is from that "laser hall" in the Resident Evil movie.  Though some of the characters make it through, I remember a couple don't - including one guy who faces a whole grid of lasers rushing at him that he can't possibly avoid.

Offline Revned

« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2006, 12:46:42 pm »
Just saw another great death scene. It's in Once Upon a Time in the West. They put a noose around a guy's neck and stand him up on his brother's shoulders. When the brother gets tired, he'll stumble and the guy will hang. It was a very emotional scene.

Offline TerraEsperZ

« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2006, 02:18:28 pm »
I think any death worthy of notice no matter the reason should be mentionned. I remember the Resident Evil one; at first I thought the lasers were deactivated right as they touched his face, explaning the surface cuts. And then I saw the eye start leaking... *shudder*

As for my most emotional death, it would be the little girl in Grave Of The Fireflies. I never saw it dubbed in English because all the vocal emotions disappeared during translation, but after seeing it in japanese, I cried for half an hour afterward. Seriously. And for hours after that, every time I'd thought back to it I'd get tears in my eyes again. I'm so easily manipulated...

---

-Drill Dozer (GBA)
-Naya's Quest (PC)

Offline bustin98

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2006, 03:24:03 pm »
Seeing how this is moving from gruesome deaths to emotional ones, A.I. and Pay It Forward have ones that get me.

I've never been impressed enough with death scenes to remember how horrible they are. I can enjoy a creative way of dying, but my attention span on the subject is nill. That hanging one sounds cruel and unusual, for sure.

I've heard good things about Grave of the Fireflies. Hopefully I'll get a chance to see it.

I thought of a nasty death in Akira. Tetsuo kills his g/f by grabbing her and pulling her into his expanding body. She pops and a pool of blood oozes up through the crack. All the while he can't control what his body is doing.

---

Cool beans

Offline TerraEsperZ

« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2006, 04:38:27 pm »

I thought of a nasty death in Akira. Tetsuo kills his g/f by grabbing her and pulling her into his expanding body. She pops and a pool of blood oozes up through the crack. All the while he can't control what his body is doing.

That was definitely nasty, being crushed to death by a monstrous mass of expanding flesh and organs by the person who probably loves you the most...

---

-Drill Dozer (GBA)
-Naya's Quest (PC)

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator
Coolest movie death sequence
« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2006, 07:36:11 am »
bustin98 Said:
Seeing how this is moving from gruesome deaths to emotional ones, A.I. and Pay It Forward have ones that get me.

Wow, both those movies have Haley Joel Osment, don't they?

As if by fluke, I saw most of Pay It Forward just a few days ago.  I also had a chance to see Akira a very short while ago when my dad borrowed it from the library but I didn't have time.  Whoa.  Considering that I always think I don't see enough movies, it's funny when a conversation about them refers to ones I have seen or could've easily seen.

I saw an animated .GIF that was from the opening sequence of a VERY strange Japanese movie.  I think it was called "Suicide Club" or something like that.  The .GIF showed the opening scene of a movie, where 50-some Japanese school girls jump onto the track of a subway train.  Apparently the whole movie is very over-the-top with its gore and shock, and the opening truly does set that up.

I tell you, some people must be really twisted to come up with these things.

Offline bustin98

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2006, 09:09:58 am »
Dang Jon. You can rag on me about the games I haven't played, and I'll rag on you about the classic Anime you haven't seen.

J/K about the ragging bit. I think there are a wide variety opinions of what is classic anime. But any fan of the genre should see Akira. It was groundbreaking for the time (1988), and still holds up to the new CG crap studios are pumping out today.

Hopefully you've seen Miyazaki and Studio Ghibli's movies. They really seem to improve with each film. I haven't seen the more 'kiddie' of the films, but I grew up watching Nausicaa. Both of those films were my introduction to the world of anime. We'll have to create a thread of anime we recommend for others to view.

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: July 11, 2006, 09:29:03 am »
Miyazaki sounds familiar.  Not sure if that's who's involved in Howl's Moving Castle but that was another one that passed through my household when I didn't have time.  I did see Princess Mononoke a few years back, though.

I guess since this thread is about deaths, aren't there some in the Friday The 13th or Nightmare On Elm Street series worth mentioning?  I haven't seen any one of them fully, but I did see the scene in one of the Nightmare On Elm Street ones involving a Power Glove (though it was really just some lights on Freddy's hand/glove/gauntlet).  I remember seeing in Nintendo Power how the actor (his name escapes me at the moment) got a real NES Power Glove and put Freddy's nails/claws/whatever on it.