Author Topic: 2012/04: Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island (Super NES) - Peardian  (Read 29020 times)

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator

For this month's "Maps Of The Month" featurette, I wish to draw your attention to Peardian's Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island (Super NES) maps.

Eggs.  They are part of a good breakfast.  They are scrambled or hard-boiled, or prepared in a multitude of other ways.  They are also a natural wonder.  They contain new life within.  Observed in a particular holiday, the represent a rebirth, breaking out of a tomb.  They are painted.  They are hidden.  They come in chocolate or candy forms.  They are also projectiles.  They can stop a baby tyrant lizard and his wizard's minions from kidnapping babies who are destined to be heroic plumbers.  How can you not love eggs?

Or, for that matter, Peardian's Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island maps?  A real labour of love, there is almost three years between his first and last maps for Mario and Yoshi's first chronological adventure together.  As are most Mario games, this game is a real treat visually.  With a unique pencil-crayon style, it is more detailed while also more cartoony than even the original Super Mario World.  Though not advertised as such, the game contains a version of the Super FX Chip (you know, the processor involved in polygonal Super NES games like Star Fox), that occasionally shows its 3D processing power with rotating platforms, particularly in some castles.  And speaking of rotating, how about that Raphael the Raven boss battle?  Wow!

But rather than just singing the praises of the game itself, how about Peardian's work on mapping this game?  This has been a longtime project for him.  And the time and effort shows!  Labelling doors and pipes, showing all the in-game tips, adding a few more including boss battle tips, showing the contents of crates and "?" clouds, and making clear the location of every Red Coin - this is effort beyond mere screenshot-stitching.  (And Peardian has sent me revisions and corrections of maps constantly, a testament to his dedication and perfectionism.)  And how's this for going above the call of duty - animated images showing Yoshi's Island and World 6 as they appear on the title screen, original images showing what they look like from above, and mapping the debug room, too!  Considering the technical challenges that Peardian likes to take on, and his obvious preference for which game series to map, it really comes as no surprise that Peardian gets the honour for work on this game, but that doesn't make these maps any less spectacular, or any less worth the Maps Of The Month.

So to recognize the effort put into mapping even more Mario, Peardian's Super Mario World 2 (Super NES) maps will be known as VGMaps.com's Maps Of The Month for April 2012.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2012, 08:26:44 am by JonLeung »

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator
Re: 2012/04: Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island (Super NES) - Peardian
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2012, 10:06:01 pm »
There's something curious about the thumbnail I chose.  Let's see who's observant enough to figure out what it is...

Offline Trop

« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2012, 11:03:01 pm »
There's nothing like the felling of *phew* after completing a project that lasted a year or more.  It's like having a railroad spike pulled out of your head.

Offline alucard

« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2012, 07:27:51 am »
Great job on these maps, they look excellent.

Offline TerraEsperZ

« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2012, 08:23:08 am »
We should all aspire to reach this level of perfection. Peardian my friend, good job on never letting go and finally finishing this!
Current project that are on hold because job burnout :
-Drill Dozer (GBA)
-Sonic 3D Blast (Genesis)
-Naya's Quest (PC)

Offline Will

« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2012, 09:30:11 am »
And finished just in the nick of time too. You deserve nothing less for an April Fools and happy Easter. Way to go! ;)

Offline Rew

« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2012, 02:58:39 pm »
Bravo Peardian! All these maps are simply amazing.

I think this is the first time since I've been on this site that the April MotM wasn't an April Fool's fake map. But I think this is a worthy reason for breaking the tradition. Kudos!
From the Super Smash Bros. Brawl board on GameFAQs:
The only Fox News we're interested in is breakthroughs in his metagame.

Offline Troy Lundin

« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2012, 08:27:45 pm »
Congratulations!