Author Topic: FlyingArmor's Map Projects Present and Future  (Read 186586 times)

Offline FlyingArmor

Re: FlyingArmor's Map Projects Present and Future
« Reply #105 on: May 05, 2016, 08:31:57 pm »
Update Time!

I have updated a number of maps (FF4, FF5, Dragon Quest 1+2) which had some mistakes or missing things. I also added the Chocobo Forest maps for both versions of FF4, which I had completely forgot about. I only realized that map was missing when I was playing through that game again and ended up stumbling upon an item in the grass!

Besides that, I've given some attention to Ultima VI: The False Prophet again. I've done a couple of the smaller dungeons and a few other things. Besides the dungeons, I'm also gonna make individual maps for all the towns, buildings and shrines, detailing all the items that can be gotten within them (though most of the stuff if taken will lead you to losing karma, heheh).

Still no progress with Final Fantasy VII.

But I have laid out most of the areas in Final Fantasy III though! I got around to playing it from start to finish last month, so now I'm very familiar with that Final Fantasy at long last. :D You'll probably see maps for this come out some time in June.

Offline Trop

« Reply #106 on: May 21, 2016, 08:16:17 am »
I meant to say Flying Armor, I love the new Ultima maps.  You may be the only person to make in depth maps of a later Ultima game like this.

Offline FlyingArmor

« Reply #107 on: May 21, 2016, 02:04:07 pm »
Thanks very much, Trop. :)

Well, it's something I've been meaning to do for a long while now. There's tons of really cool stuff to get in the game, and I've yet to see anyone lay it all out like I'm doing. For instance, as far as I can recall, you don't really need to buy any magic equipment at all; you can just find it all in the dungeons.

Offline Trop

« Reply #108 on: May 22, 2016, 06:54:39 pm »
The biggest thing I remember about grabbing all the random stuff was discovering I was losing Karma since the game considered it stealing.  Can't wait to see you do one of the big un-virtue dungeons like Pride.

Offline TerraEsperZ

« Reply #109 on: May 22, 2016, 10:54:58 pm »
Great work as usual FlyingArmor! I just don't tend to comment on your maps since they're almost always about game I don't play, but I appreciate the efforts all the same.

Tell me, since you're usually mapping pretty complex RPGs, are you afraid that you might miss stuff? I've found over the years that even games that are considered classics still might have secrets to them that aren't know to most and thus, would not be mentioned in FAQs or walkthroughs. I tend to be stressed that there might be some secret areas or items that I didn't find, that aren't really listed anywhere online yet might be known to some gamers and then I'd come off as being kind of an amateur...
« Last Edit: May 23, 2016, 02:48:07 pm by TerraEsperZ »
Current project that are on hold because job burnout :
-Drill Dozer (GBA)
-Sonic 3D Blast (Genesis)
-Naya's Quest (PC)

Offline FlyingArmor

« Reply #110 on: May 23, 2016, 12:18:28 pm »
Thanks very much, Terra! I'm pretty much the same way with not commenting on other mappers’ work I'm not familiar with. It can certainly explain my low post count when compared to other regulars here. Maybe I should remedy that... ;)

I tend not to worry all that much over missing things. There have been the few occasions where that's happened to me with previous map sets, but I don't stress over it. If it happens, oh well. I just revise the map and get it updated on the site.

When I'm in the labeling phase of mapping, I usually have a few walkthrough sites handy to make sure I don't miss anything. There have been times where I find something that wasn't listed on those sites, but it doesn't happen often.

Although I haven't formally announced it yet, I've been working on Light Fantasy on and off for several months, and if it weren't for this one walkthrough site I've been referring to, there would have been a ton of hidden items I'd have never known existed. I've attached one such map to this post. All the hidden items are found in the trees. If you weren't told about them, you'd never think to look there, right? I wonder if it's ever brought up in the game manual.

But even so, if I had sent in the maps without those hidden items pointed out, I doubt anyone would complain over their absence. I don't think this game is well-known enough to warrant that kind of response anyway. So in conclusion, I'd just say don't sweat it. :)

Trop, even if you manage to get your karma down to zero, it's still very possible to get it back up to 100. Every time you meditate at a shrine for leveling up you get 10 karma points, so stealing the odd thing here and there isn't going to make the game unwinnable. ;)
« Last Edit: May 23, 2016, 12:34:44 pm by FlyingArmor »

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator
« Reply #111 on: June 10, 2016, 03:56:58 pm »
Wait, I don't remember receiving that Gilts Village map.  Is that a submission?

The Final Fantasy VII remake still doesn't have a solid release date, at least not according to Wikipedia at the moment.  Could be a multi-part release.  I'm sure I've asked if you'll have this done in time for the remake, don't know if whatever your answer is might have changed since whenever I last asked.  Seeing how slow Square-Enix is (XV debuted at the E3 I went to, back in 2006 as Final Fantasy Versus XIII, which was ten years ago!), maybe it won't be that difficult, really.

Seeing your VII maps is making me crave an FF game.  I mean, yeah, I'm working on Final Fantasy XIII right now but had to take a break for a couple weeks to take care of other stuff, and even though I'm on like Chapter Seven or Eight it's been ridiculously linear and still doesn't feel as much of an FF game as it could.  Not that XIII has anything to do with VII as far as I know (other than Lightning having a Cloud outfit in the second XIII game, I think...  hmmm, Lightning/Cloud?)  Yeah, I'm also obsessed with Final Fantasy: Record Keeper on mobile, but all it is is just battles.  Maybe I would just like to roam around a bit more and find treasures and talk to NPCs or something.

Offline FlyingArmor

« Reply #112 on: June 10, 2016, 06:21:42 pm »
Don't worry about that Gilts Village map. I just uploaded that map here to make a point about how you'd have no idea to search around the trees for hidden items if you didn't already know they were there in the first place. Besides, that map is out-of-date anyway; I've made a lot of changes to it since that post.

The huge break from Final Fantasy VII maps is mainly due to not wanting to slog through battle after battle leveling up my party. I was fairly under leveled by the time I got to Mideel, and I didn't find the correct codes for modifying the amount of EXP and AP gained after battle at that time, so I simply put mapping Final Fantasy VII aside. Now that most of my characters are close to level 99, I can simply breeze through the game without worrying about being too weak to proceed on. The only thing that's gonna take some time to do is the Chocobo breeding.

So with all that said, I should have all the maps done long before the remake comes out if I continue to work on them regularly.

Even now I've yet to play Final Fantasy XIII (not having a PS3 is certainly a major factor in that), and it being so linear is the one thing I always hear about it. That aspect alone won't deter me from playing it though. I'll just know what to expect in that respect. ;)

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator
« Reply #113 on: June 10, 2016, 07:10:29 pm »
Oh, but Final Fantasy XIII is on Steam, so you can play it on PC.  That's how I'm playing it.  Actually, it's funny...  I was waiting for all three parts of the Final Fantasy XIII trilogy to be available on Steam because I wanted to be sure I would be able to play the whole thing (at the time I didn't have a PS3).  Then the third part finally got released I think late last year, so I bought it, but I was behind in my games and didn't get to them right away.  Then we needed a PS3 for a "Street Fighter Night" event (some characters are exclusive to the PS3 version of Street Fighter X Tekken) and I saw a really good deal on a PS3 (with the Uncharted games) on a local Facebook Group about game trading/buying/selling, so I couldn't resist.  So I ended up getting a PS3 and Final Fantasy XIII at nearly the same time, but it was not the PS3 version of FF XIII, which I originally thought would be what would move me to get a PS3 if anything would.

But clearly Final Fantasy should not be considered a PlayStation-exclusive series.  For the longest time it seemed like the only PC ones were VII and VIII, then also the MMOs XI and XIV.  But that's changed in a hurry.  Final Fantasy IX was recently released on Steam, and so have ports of Final Fantasy X/X-2 HD.  Just the other day they announced a PS4 remake of Final Fantasy XII, but since Square-Enix seems keen on Steam now it almost feels guaranteed to eventually come out on the PC.  If that is true that XII will make its way over, you can now play every main-numbered FF game without requiring a PlayStation.  The "Nintendo + PC" fanboy in me is happy about that.  (Though to be fair I haven't regretted the PS2 and PS3 I own, either.)

Offline FlyingArmor

« Reply #114 on: June 11, 2016, 02:50:28 pm »
Well, since my PC is over 10 years old (I got it from the electronic dump around here) I don't think I'd be able to play Final Fantasy XIII on it. I've never ever had the latest and greatest with PC hardware, so that's probably a huge reason why I play consoles and am not all that interested in PC games.

However, I did end up buying Final Fantasy XIII (Japanese) on eBay for a little over $25 CAD after a little searching, so now I just gotta find some place where I can get a PS3 for cheap (under $150 would be nice). My birthday is coming up soon anyway, so might as well treat myself, eh? :)

Offline FlyingArmor

« Reply #115 on: July 16, 2016, 10:23:14 pm »
I just finished labeling the Brain Lord maps (mapping done by Tropicon) which I had started a few years ago, so now anyone who's curious about where all the items are as well as how to enter the various hidden rooms, you won't be disappointed.

Now that Brain Lord's done, I'm back working on Ultima VI. Been mainly focusing on towns and standalone buildings, but I'll get to the dungeons eventually.

Offline Trop

« Reply #116 on: July 17, 2016, 09:14:38 am »
The Brain Lord stuff looks great, and Hrrrrr can't wait to see the Ultima maps.  Especially the super difficult stuff like the dungeons he he he.

Offline FlyingArmor

« Reply #117 on: July 19, 2016, 08:38:38 pm »
Glad you approve of the Brain Lord maps! I'm just happy to have finally completed that collaboration project with you.

I got about 20 new maps done for Ultima VI so far, and two of those are dungeons, so I'm whittling those away one by one. :D

Offline Trop

« Reply #118 on: July 20, 2016, 09:27:44 am »
Heh, no problem.  The Ultima is so good.  More please.

Offline FlyingArmor

« Reply #119 on: August 06, 2016, 04:51:58 pm »
I'm about ready to wrap up work on Final Fantasy III; I just got two more maps to label and it'll be done!

Working on these maps also made me do a ton of corrections with my FF4 maps mainly, but also a number of FF5 ones as well. A lot of it is just correcting the spacing of certain letters in the item legends, since I noticed a problem with my font file for typing the translations of item names. This also prompted me to fix some other errors I stumbled across in the process, as well as making sure the naming conventions I chose for recurring items remain consistent across the three games.

I won't dump all of that along with the remaining FF3 maps onto Jon all at once, but here's a heads up that it'll come in due time. :)