Author Topic: FlyingArmor's Map Projects Present and Future  (Read 186526 times)

Offline FlyingArmor

Re: FlyingArmor's Map Projects Present and Future
« Reply #135 on: July 30, 2017, 09:08:47 pm »
I submitted the last batch of maps for Ultima VI back in April, so that game has been complete for a few months now.

Also, last week I submitted maps for Daedalian Opus and it's Japanese counterpart, Bouken! Puzzle Road for the Game Boy. The reason for mapping the Japanese version as well was that I discovered that it had more levels than the North American version, a total of six more. But when comparing the two games more closely, you'll see that the puzzle orders don't line up one to one. Some puzzles that appear later in Daedalian Opus end up appearing far earlier in Bouken! Puzzle Road (the puzzle in the shape of a gun is one such). There's a few puzzles exclusive to the North American version as well, which I found rather interesting.

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator
« Reply #136 on: July 31, 2017, 08:07:13 am »
Some localization efforts are weird.  It's like the American branch/division of these game companies just want to do something more than just translate them or change cultural references.  Unless there really is some kind of spike in difficulty, it seems nearly pointless to shuffle puzzles around.  And adding puzzles is one thing, but removing some?  Why?

Offline Shortie12

« Reply #137 on: January 01, 2018, 12:29:50 pm »
Your maps are the best. I can't wait for Lufia the Legend Returns to be finished. It is obvious you put a lot of time into your maps. I just wanted you to know that I appreciate it.

Offline FlyingArmor

« Reply #138 on: February 13, 2018, 04:42:48 pm »
Things have been fairly quiet here for quite some time now, so here's some status updates on what I'm currently working on. A lot of the following games I've had some work done for for a long time now, so I thought it high time to see those projects through to completion.

Final Fantasy VI (SNES). Although I had completed this game years ago, I completely forgot about adding the Chocobo Stables from the overworld so I submitted the one from the World of Balance a number of months ago. I still have yet to submit the one for the World of Ruin though (didn't think they existed at the time).

Light Fantasy (SFC). This game is finally fully mapped!

Ganbare Goemon Gaiden: Kieta Ougon Kiseru (FC). Originally requested in the forum. Currently only working on the overworld map, but will probably map everything else at some point.

Shinseiki Odysselya (SFC). I had a few maps for this game done a number of years ago, but since I hadn't committed myself completely to mapping the game in its entirety then, I didn't bother to get them up onto VGMaps.

Lufia: The Legend Returns (GBC). I still need to finish playing this before I can work on it fully, but I do have a number of the early areas mapped out, they just lack the treasure labels.

Legend of the Ghost Lion (NES). Haven't played this game to the end just yet, but I have at least 50% of the game mapped out thus far.

Final Fantasy VII (PSX). I'll get to the overworld map some time this year. ;)

Thanks for the very kind words Shortie12! :D
« Last Edit: February 13, 2018, 08:38:36 pm by FlyingArmor »

Offline YelseyKing

« Reply #139 on: August 19, 2018, 11:13:39 pm »
Oh hey, it's my... one post a year or whatever. :P

I'm digging those Shinseiki Odysselya maps, but I have a question. Is there a translation patch for that game somewhere, or are the treasures and such your own translations? I know that game was slated for an English release (as "Lost Mission", shown in an issue of Nintendo Power), but... I have no idea if a ROM of it was ever leaked and dumped.

Offline FlyingArmor

« Reply #140 on: August 20, 2018, 09:38:46 am »
Thanks YelseyKing! I should devote a bit more time to it since it's such a massive game (the overworld map itself is probably gonna be somewhere around 8000 x 6000 pixels big once I'm done with it).

All the labels are my own translations. I don't know of any translation patch, whether already in existence or in the works. Thankfully the item names are pretty straightforward in this game. Granhistoria on the other hand... I remember the recovery items were named rather strangely.

Offline FlyingArmor

« Reply #141 on: December 13, 2018, 10:38:37 pm »
Just a quick update: I discovered two new hidden items in Paladin's Quest the other day, so I updated the maps that contain them. The first one can be found in the elder's house in Ratsurk (Home dor). The other is found is front of an egg in Rekuon (Light cd).

Finding these items years after completing this map set makes me wonder if there aren't other hidden items tucked away in other inconspicuous spots around the world of Lennus. It would certainly be worth scouring around to see!

Offline FlyingArmor

« Reply #142 on: January 15, 2019, 10:46:44 pm »
I just recently completed a set of maps for the PC version of Ultima IV: Quest of the Avatar. So far I have only mapped out the townes, villages, and castles, but I do plan on doing Britannia (fully labelled with areas to enter and items to find) as well as the dungeons.

This is the first time I've included shop information on my maps, which is something I tend not to do, but I thought was appropriate in this case.

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator
« Reply #143 on: January 18, 2019, 10:26:06 pm »
I think this was also the first time you sent in maps of a PC game, which kind of surprised me.

Offline FlyingArmor

« Reply #144 on: January 19, 2019, 05:05:30 pm »
Since I tend to work on SNES games, maps for a PC game are quite the oddity, aren't they? :D But I just love the aesthetic look of this version of the game, so I couldn't pass it up. Plus, it's Ultima!

Another update! I finally finished mapping Star Trek The Next Generation: Future's Past for the SNES. I finally figured out a way of moving through walls and other obstacles so I could capture the normally inaccessible areas of Verenitor Epsilon and Verenitor Alpha I.

There is one part of Verenitor Alpha I where pressing a certain button will cause a bridge to appear, allowing the rest of your crew members to cross, thereby allowing you to proceed further. But since I have a bugged version of the game, this doesn't happen, so if you're unfortunate enough to have this copy of the game, this level is more or less impossible to complete, let alone map. This is what held back this project for years (seven to be exact) and thus I had put this game on indefinite hiatus. But now that's no longer the case, thank goodness!

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator
« Reply #145 on: March 26, 2019, 11:10:13 am »
So Final Fantasy VII is now available for the Switch!  And Xbox One.  Who knows what's going on with the perpetually-in-limbo remake, but I guess if you've somehow been a Nintendo-only or Xbox-only person here's a chance to see what's up, I guess?  (But maybe don't be so monogamous and beholden to one company's line of machines?)

I am curious if the full world map is still in progress, if it ever was?

Offline FlyingArmor

« Reply #146 on: April 05, 2019, 01:41:40 pm »
I did make a tiny bit of progress some time ago, but haven't done anything with it since then. Basically, I just took the in-game map and traced around the coastlines of the continents and islands in a paint program. My next step is to print it out big on multiple sheets of paper, then painstakingly go through the game and draw what I see on that map.

Since Anime North is coming up at the end of next month, perhaps I can get it done before then to sell as a print to con-goers? I'd need to consult the organizers of the Comic Market (a.k.a. the artist alley) to see if that would be allowed, since they've become very strict when it comes to trademarks. They're so strict in fact that even the triforce symbol is not allowed in fanart (I found that out last year when I was asked to take down my two Legend of Zelda prints that depict shield designs, this being one such). So I wouldn't be surprised if they decide that the names of towns and places on the map would be considered trademark infringement, as ridiculous as that sounds.

But first I'd need to get the map finished before proceeding to that stage!

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator
« Reply #147 on: April 08, 2019, 04:07:18 pm »
The Triforce symbol?  Copyright reasons?  What?

Is Nintendo going to sue The American Academy of Actuaries?  There are other uses of the three-triangle logo as well.

Offline FlyingArmor

« Reply #148 on: April 11, 2019, 09:35:39 pm »
Not copyright, but trademark (though it's understandable that you confused them since they're confused all the time). And from what I could glean from the United States Patent and Trademark Office's website, all the uses Nintendo applied for trademark protection were simply for the word "TRIFORCE", and not the symbol itself.

Now as for The American Academy of Actuaries you had mentioned? Their trademark does indeed also apply to those three triangles as well, but they could only go after anyone using that symbol in conjunction with actuarial matters, not any other possible use (though I could be incorrect).

The closest match I could find to the three triangles in the "triforce configuration" in relation to video games was for YOGATRON, but the triangles are inverted, and the trademark has been dead since 2012.

So yeah, it doesn't look like my use of the triforce symbol is my fanart is actually infringing any trademark related to video games. The funny thing about the coordinators telling me to take down the "infringing" prints was that they did so about one hour before the convention ended, so I had those prints up for 95% or so of the rest of the convention anyway, so looking back, it wasn't a great loss. But still it's pretty ridiculous whichever way you look at it.

And as for the Final Fantasy VII world map, I did some searches for a few of the more unique place names (Midgar, Junon, Gongaga, etc.), and did not get any relevant matches. So I should be in the clear with that, though I wouldn't be surprised if the coordinators raise an objection to it.

I know they're trying to protect artists from possible lawsuits and legal action, but making artists take down pieces of work for hypothetical infringement is I think going a little overboard.

Offline FlyingArmor

« Reply #149 on: July 26, 2019, 01:51:15 pm »
Alright, I think a quick update is in order.

I'm still whittling away the remaining maps for Shinseiki Odysselya. I think I got about seven more maps to do and that should be it for that game. I've been submitting maps for it since January 2018, so it'll be nice to have this mapping project finally behind me.

I also submitted maps for Golf and Snow Bros. a few weeks ago.  They were pretty simple to capture and compile, so it's the least I could do to fill in some gaps in the NES Atlas. And speaking of filling in the gaps some more, I'm steadily working on Legacy of the Wizard, so that should be awesome to see once it's complete.