Author Topic: Portal Training Video  (Read 12431 times)

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator
Portal Training Video
« on: July 18, 2006, 06:57:08 pm »
I gotta stop stealing news from VGCats...

Portal Training Video

But this video is really neat!  It's a video showing the neat-o applications of a new portal-generating gun in Half-Life 2.  Who knew that a mere hole in space, coupled with gravity and inertia, could be such a powerful tool?

Offline TerraEsperZ

RE: Portal Training Video
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2006, 08:04:17 pm »
Man, that is too cool!!! I used to imagine having such an ability as a super-power after seeing some villain do that in the 90s Spiderman cartoon. Trying to exploit the limits of such an ability would lead to some pretty impressive situation. I never imagine someone would actually manage to implement portal technology in a 3D shooter, much less do it so completely as this, with inertia and gravity. I am *very* impressed.

---

"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably." [...] The first time any man's freedom is trodden on, we're all damaged. - Captain Jean-Luc Picard

B*tch, meet reality. Reality, meet b*tch. - Me
Current project that are on hold because job burnout :
-Drill Dozer (GBA)
-Sonic 3D Blast (Genesis)
-Naya's Quest (PC)

Offline bustin98

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2006, 09:45:15 am »
Thats an awesome idea. I imagine this will be on the pc, downloaded through Steam. But I have heard rumors of Valve being interested in the Wii and I hold out hope that this will make it there in one form or another. Heck, I can see this idea making a big splash on the DS, too. Just tap on the screen where you want the portals.

---

Cool beans

Offline Ryan Ferneau

« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2006, 01:00:13 pm »
Aw, you have to stick the portal to a wall?  Then it's ALMOST perfect.

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2006, 02:27:35 pm »
Well, it'd be screwy if they weren't on walls/floors/ceilings.

Like, what would happen if you stepped through the backside of a portal, but then stepped back?  Would your leg be severed?  Would you even be able to step through a portal from the backside?

Offline bustin98

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2006, 11:32:54 pm »
I'm wondering what will happen if you make a third portal while something is passing through the original two. Wouldn't it be cool if this made its way into a real game, and you could just kill baddies by splitting them in half. Or what about creating portals on a baddie?

I think this would be super cool in a FPS. Imagine creating a portal on the side of a moving truck, then use it later to escape or to send others for a long jog home.

---

Cool beans

Offline Ryan Ferneau

« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2006, 11:54:52 am »
I imagine that stepping through the backside of one portal would just send you through the backside of the other.  So then you and a friend could step "through" each other and have a good laugh!

Offline TerraEsperZ

« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2006, 01:11:12 pm »
bustin98 Said:
I'm wondering what will happen if you make a third portal while something is passing through the original two. Wouldn't it be cool if this made its way into a real game, and you could just kill baddies by splitting them in half. Or what about creating portals on a baddie?

I think this would be super cool in a FPS. Imagine creating a portal on the side of a moving truck, then use it later to escape or to send others for a long jog home.

---

Cool beans

Regarding the killing with portals, a very basic version of that was used in the old Doom/Doom II/Heretic/Hexen games, in that if you happened to teleport to another player's location, he'd die instantly.

---

"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably." [...] The first time any man's freedom is trodden on, we're all damaged. - Captain Jean-Luc Picard

B*tch, meet reality. Reality, meet b*tch. - Me
Current project that are on hold because job burnout :
-Drill Dozer (GBA)
-Sonic 3D Blast (Genesis)
-Naya's Quest (PC)

Offline bustin98

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2006, 02:51:11 pm »
That always pissed me off, too. I have Hexen for the N64 and every time I'm playing multi player, my other player gets a little portal happy and gibs me.

There was a name for it, telefrag or something. Been a long time. It was named for when a player returned to the game after dying and someone was standing in the return spot, I believe.

---

Cool beans

Offline DarkWolf

« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2006, 03:03:09 pm »
Telefrag is the proper term when you teleport and someone is standing on the exit.  It's a unique solution to the problem of two objects trying to occupy the same space.

Telefragging is fun in deathmatch, but I hate it when people do it in a co-op game.  You saw me go through the teleporter, just wait a damn second before you follow me.