Author Topic: Shadowrun (SNES)  (Read 20372 times)

Offline Diogo_Ribeiro

Shadowrun (SNES)
« on: September 20, 2012, 08:08:21 am »
Hi, first post and all. Just wanted to point out I'm hard at work mapping out the SNES version of Shadowrun. "First dibs" and all, if things go well.

Here are two samples, the first being the Tenth Street plaza, and the second being the Oldtown portion near the monorail, right outside the Caryards.

So far I have both areas, Tenth Street and Oldtown, complete. Just started work on Daley station. I shudder to think of when I get to the corp towers :'( In any case, I'd also like to know users' opinion on something. I'm having trouble coming up with a unified presentation method, as in: what should be shown? Since it's my first map I decided to play it straight. But then I began noticing and maintaining some details. For instance, the Morgue map I made has one refrigerator door open and the other closed to show how both sprites operate (I also left the body drawer open). Then in the Caryards arena, I left one of the ghouls behind bars in the map. Is this allowed or should I just focus on the basic state of all objects/maps?

Also, I'm thinking of filling in the gaps where applicable. Notice both images above. It's safe to assume some building sprites are repeated, though they're outside players' field of vision.

Offline DarkWolf

Re: Shadowrun (SNES)
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2012, 09:54:19 am »
You could also chop off the jagged areas of the map using a line that follows the perspective (should be a 2:1 line in this case).

As for sprites or object states, show what you think is important for playing the game.  Not that maps for aesthetic purposes aren't allowed, IMO, I just think more people will find it useful if it contains actual information related to game play.

Offline Will

« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2012, 11:41:37 am »
This might help you fill the gaps in the maps, but it maybe a little more time consuming than a WTW (Walk Through Wall) Code:
http://gamehacking.org/vb/threads/4162-Code-request-Shadowrun-snes-Pro-action-replay

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2012, 12:50:01 pm »
Welcome!  Also, I love this Super NES game.

Now, it may be really ancient (because I was recommending it when the site started, over ten years ago) but I recall using a program called BGMapper.  You can use it to load up ZSNES save states (assuming you're using that) and can see the entire area that's in memory at the time of the save state, which includes those tricky corners and hard-to-reach areas.  I recall you can also toggle the five layers on and off, just as you would if you were using ZSNES, by simply using the 1-5 number keys.

It may not work in all Super NES games, but it sure came in handy when I mapped the Light World of The Legend Of Zelda: A Link To The Past.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2012, 12:50:41 pm by JonLeung »

Offline BumFengShui

« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2012, 10:18:22 am »
I started mapping this game sometime last year with a WTW code. Once you get outside of the normal bounds there are a few tiles but ultimately the game is incomplete in some areas, I guess they figured nobody will ever see it so why bother. (The only other game I have come across that does this is "Juka And The Monophonic Menace" for the GBA.) I started to custom fill the areas with tiles from the game but it was kind of a lot of work & I ended up quitting after 3 maps.

Offline meiapataca

« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2013, 06:47:42 am »
Hi, Diogo. What about your map? Need some help?

@BumFengShui: I would consider a map without those tiles a complete map.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2013, 07:30:30 am by meiapataca »

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2013, 03:37:48 pm »
Shadowrun Returns, a Kickstarter-funded game, came out yesterday on Steam.

I figured it was just another Shadowrun game, based on the franchise overall, or on the original pen-and-paper RPG.

Why didn't anyone tell me sooner that Shadowrun Returns bears a resemblance to the Super NES game, and has connections to both the Super NES AND Genesis games, AND has the same composers?  Supposedly Jake Armitage appears as an NPC.

I try not to bump things unnecessarily, but now my interest in Shadowrun maps for the Super NES, which I already had, has now returned.  :P

Also, supposedly the editor for Shadowrun Returns came out earlier for some of the supporters, and there is already an attempt to recreate the Super NES game.  They might appreciate these maps...