Author Topic: LucasFilm bought by Disney  (Read 10221 times)

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator
LucasFilm bought by Disney
« on: October 31, 2012, 07:54:00 am »
You probably heard it when it was announced yesterday that Disney bought LucasFilm for $4.05 billion dollars.  If you haven't heard, well, I'm sure you can Google it.  Darth Vader now joins Woody, Kermit The Frog and Spider-Man in the House of Mouse.

Word is that they already have scripts for three more Star Wars movies, the first of which could be in theatres by 2015.

Since there are three it could be assumed that they would be Episodes VII-IX, but Disney said they want to continue to put out Star Wars films every two-three years.

Since the Star Wars films are essentially about Darth Vader, and he's dead at the end of VI (though like Obi-Wan he could continue being a ghost, but that would be silly), and I think most people would find it weird if they recast the principal characters (since obviously the original actors have aged by 30 years), not to mention there are many books covering post-film events (though yes, you can argue about levels of canonicity or whatever), it might be best if they make their Star Wars films that are not numbered as episodes directly connected to the original six (or the original three).

I recently bought the Blu-Ray box set of Star Wars: The Complete Saga (to get Billy Dee Williams to sign The Empire Strikes Back disc at the Edmonton Expo a couple weeks ago) and it'd be silly that it's might not be actually "complete".  But in terms of the Vader storyline and the direct involvement of George Lucas, I suppose it is (though Lucas will still be involved in the new films as long as he's still alive).  Some people are leery of this deal because of what they presume about Disney, but I don't think Disney butchered Marvel stuff since they bought them a few years back...

Until the new films, maybe Disney will listen to the hardcore fans and make a few more bucks rereleasing the non-Special Edition versions of the IV-VI trilogy on Blu-Ray, despite what Lucas says.  I recall there was a quieter release of these on DVD but I think they those were still somehow different from the originals...

Since I imagine there are some Star Wars fans among you, what are your thoughts of this development?
« Last Edit: October 31, 2012, 11:25:43 am by JonLeung »

Offline Will

Re: LucasFilm bought by Disney
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2012, 05:50:13 am »
My gut tells me that alienation of both the Star Wars and Indiana Jones franchises is definite. Disney may also have bought the film rights to Willow, but what are the chances of them using it? And what will become of the Monkey Island series? LucasFilm is the parent company of LucasArts.

If there are going to be another Star Wars trilogy, I can't picture it as a sequel to Return of the Jedi as the Sith has been vanquished. A prequel to the Phantom Menace probably.

Offline StarFighters76

« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2012, 11:51:53 pm »
Calling it now, there will be musicals. >_>
Creator of over 4,300 maps on GameFAQs!

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2013, 11:33:57 am »
LucasArts was part of the deal when Disney bought LucasFilm, and as you probably heard, they just closed down LucasArts.

LucasArts had in past years been practically just about Star Wars games, and Star Wars games will continue, as Disney intends to license Star Wars out to other developers.  I enjoyed BioWare's Knights Of The Old Republic, and I haven't played the now-free MMO The Old Republic, but I heard it's all right.

What is stupid though is the cancellation of current projects, including what would have been the first M-rated Star Wars game, Star Wars 1313.  While 1313 was hyped up, I wonder if it being too dark didn't mesh well with Disney's brand, or if it would have been cancelled anyway if this decision was inevitable.  Seems like such a waste when games in progress are totally scrapped, but obviously Disney doesn't care.  And they sure doesn't care about the 150 now-unemployed former LucasArts employees.

Though the good ones will end up elsewhere, I'm sure.  When I think of LucasArts in the non-Star Wars context, I think of Sam & Max, Monkey Island (both of whom saw revivals from Telltale Games), Maniac Mansion, and the one-shot Grim Fandango...now those were good games, back in the day.  And they are still good games now...I rarely replay games these days but I could easily see myself making time to replay LucasArts's best, even though I'd replayed many of them back when they were new(er)!

Thankfully there are companies like Telltale Games and Double Fine that carry on the talent (including the same people).  I recently played all of The Cave which was certainly interesting, worth replaying to get all the endings, so games with some of LucasArts's genes can and do certainly exist.

It is kind of sad though, I remember starting up a game, and upon seeing the LucasArts logo, knowing I was in for a treat.  (Same with the Rare/Rareware logo.)  I guess times change, unfortunately.  Even if Disney retains the LucasArts name or logo in some way, as I heard they might for licensing purposes, it will now be a reminder of the power of corporate Disney.  I generally like Disney products and franchises, but I disagree with the axing of LucasArts.  Boo, Disney.