Author Topic: Request: Phantom 2040 (SNES or Genesis)  (Read 43744 times)

Offline ReyVGM

• Game Endings Master
Request: Phantom 2040 (SNES or Genesis)
« on: December 02, 2013, 12:55:43 pm »
I recently discovered this game after reading it has like 20 possible endings (they are probably just variations).

Anyway, after trying the game I noticed it's really good! It has non-linear levels and tight controls. I am going to try to get all the endings since no one has done so yet, but to make things easier, I would love if someone could map this game. There are only 7 levels, so it shouldn't be something out of the ordinary for more experienced mappers.

The SNES version is preferred, but if Genesis is your thing, then that one would work too.

Thanks in advance!

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator
Re: Request: Phantom 2040 (SNES or Genesis)
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2013, 03:20:32 pm »
Just the other day I randomly went to VGMuseum.com which is funny because I haven't been there for like a year or two and thought updates had totally stopped.  To my surprise it's alive again!

Might be why as I was reading your post, before seeing who it was from, I was literally thinking, "hmm, wonder if Rey from VGMuseum has gotten all the endings yet; this guy should first ask him".

But since you are him, I guess you would know what endings VGMuseum does or doesn't have, or doesn't have yet:P

Offline ReyVGM

• Game Endings Master
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2013, 04:58:51 pm »
Haha, yeah it's kind of alive. I have a lot of stuff to post, it's just that I barely have time anymore to do the things I like to do :(

So yeah, I'm requesting the maps to see if it would be easier for me to get all the endings. I'm sure there are people interested in seeing them :P

Offline Trop

« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2013, 09:02:14 pm »
Got a camera control code, some other codes.  Difficulty assess puts mapping at about medium.  Need a jump code...  Everything's looking good, how vast is this game?

Offline ReyVGM

• Game Endings Master
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2013, 03:02:06 pm »
Trop to the rescue!

Haven't played it yet, but it only has 7 levels. But there are lots of choices to be made in the levels, don't know if that means that you only get access to certain parts of the levels depending on your actions though.

Offline Trop

« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2013, 02:04:53 pm »
The level structure appears to change based on your choice.

Offline ReyVGM

• Game Endings Master
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2013, 09:27:08 pm »
I guess that's bad?

Offline Trop

« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2013, 10:39:10 pm »
Well it could mean remapping each level several times.  Clever on the part of the designers, this allows them to make a huge game without making a huge game.  I'll try to hammer out a whole level next to see how far I can push it.

Offline ReyVGM

• Game Endings Master
« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2013, 10:09:17 pm »
Alright, let's see how it turns out then :)

Offline Trop

« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2013, 07:00:50 pm »
Here's the basic room look.  So everything in this game really is intertwined.  Mapping comes out strange because of that since you've got the same rooms several times and level borders blend together.  For now I'll just map what I run over and not worry about correct order.  That's going to slow things down though since it means mapping the game at least twice.  So many uncooperative projects lately.

Offline ReyVGM

• Game Endings Master
« Reply #10 on: December 24, 2013, 11:53:32 pm »
Looks good so far! Thanks for doing this... again :P

Offline Trop

« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2014, 05:37:55 pm »
So as if things weren't going slowly enough on this project I'm putting it on hold.  The difficulty combined with the sheer amount of work required to map out each single are is huge.  I only have about four so far and this thing is just killing me.  Also did you want these maps marked?

Offline Trop

« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2014, 07:49:21 pm »
Actually played a little further into the game, the whole thing has a metroidvania vibe.  So it turns out a lot of areas have dual forms, that would mean I'd set up maps by setting all forms of each area in their own image, to spite the fact that they all seem to be connected regardless of the world map.  Speaking of which a world map might be better for your needs but I've only done a little research into that so far.  Areas and area access change heavily based on what you do when and each area is a quagmire of pathways and pickups.  I'm surprised this game has no save feature for it's complexity. 

Offline TerraEsperZ

« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2014, 08:27:16 pm »
Looks like a real nightmare. And I thought some of my projects gave me a hard time...
Current project that are on hold because job burnout :
-Drill Dozer (GBA)
-Sonic 3D Blast (Genesis)
-Naya's Quest (PC)

Offline Trop

« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2014, 11:10:27 pm »
A walk through walls code would make things go smoother but I've stuck my hand out enough over at the hacking site and I still haven't delivered on several of the other projects I promised them.  I wouldn't be held up if I could zoom around the screen instead of constantly patching screenshot gaps.