Author Topic: RPG Character Art (shameless art boasting)  (Read 11274 times)

Online TerraEsperZ

RPG Character Art (shameless art boasting)
« on: August 02, 2006, 11:07:01 pm »
A good friend of mine has been trying to get me to participate in an RPG game he's preparing. Having a pretty big imagination and being quite the nerd, I would have been prime RPG material as a teen were I to have had the right friends.

In any case, he's asked me to try and draw my character, which I was very reluctant to do because of my atrocious drawing skills but after many sketches, I finally managed to somewhat put on paper what the character looks like in my head.

Taking place in the Rifts universe (I know nothing about it except that it's supposed to be a dark futuristic setting at the start of the game, a bit like Blade Runner). My character is a small time arms dealer who sells small guns and ammos on the streets of the underworld, and explosives too if he's lucky to get his hand on any. He's got enough street smarts to never get caught during his illegal activities and is kinda paranoid, which is why he's still alive today considering that he gets his wares by stealing them from armed gangs or other dealers. His goal is to somehow earn enough money to get off the street and go into more legal activites, although how legal those would be and if he even runs a chance of making it this far are up to debate.

He's kinda tall but very skinny which is a bit hidden by the coat he's wearing, and he keeps his hair bleached and in a punkish style to appear more badass which doesn't really fool anyone (but then again, his clients on average aren't that smart so it does the job).

And for the real artists on the board, be tolerant! I'm still struggling with basic anatomy and proportions, so anything advanced like expressive faces, shading and coloring and stuff like backgrounds and composition are wayyyyy out of my league :)

User posted image

---

"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably." [...] The first time any man's freedom is trodden on, we're all damaged. - Captain Jean-Luc Picard

B*tch, meet reality. Reality, meet b*tch. - Me
Current project that are on hold because job burnout :
-Drill Dozer (GBA)
-Sonic 3D Blast (Genesis)
-Naya's Quest (PC)

Offline DarkWolf

RE: RPG Character Art (shameless art boasting)
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2006, 07:19:22 am »
The first thing that popped into my head was "Elevator Action."

Offline bustin98

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2006, 11:13:29 am »
Its a great effort. Looks a little young to be an arms dealer. Isn't Rifts a 'cyberpunk' RPG? You should add some cyber gear or something.

He he. He's not too far from Inspector Gadget.

---

Cool beans

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2006, 12:11:18 pm »
Something looks awkward about his right hand - especially the part that I assume to be his fingers gripping the gun.  And I agree with bustin...if he's an arms dealer, he should be older...or at least tougher.  Something like a scar on his face or at least more rugged features would be cliche, but seems more fitting for the type of character than not.

I'm not sure I could do much better so I have nothing to say about the rest of it.

Online TerraEsperZ

« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2006, 02:25:58 pm »
Like I said, the anatomy is quite wonky; I also really suck at drawing hands, even when using my own as a model.

As for the character, I didn't want to play a walking cliche, which is why I'm avoiding scars and cyber-implants. I was really going for a more pathetic character, the kind who started selling guns in high school and barely moved up from there. Arms dealer is how he sees and presents himself, but he's not really fooling anyone, including himself. Part of the reason is that I don't feel like playing an amoral character for my first try at an RPG, so in a way he reflects my own personality in parts. He kinda sucks as a self-entrepreneur and barely makes enough to live in miserable condition. In any case, even if I were to make him older, I wouldn't really be able to make him look older. I suck at faces.

---

"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably." [...] The first time any man's freedom is trodden on, we're all damaged. - Captain Jean-Luc Picard

-Drill Dozer (GBA)
-Naya's Quest (PC)

Offline Ryan Ferneau

« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2006, 03:07:11 pm »
Oh no, you made me think of the Trenchcoat Mafia!  I should stay away!

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2006, 11:25:19 am »
Any other RPG drawings since then, Terra?

Online TerraEsperZ

« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2006, 12:00:57 pm »
I haven't heard from my friend the DM about the game yet. He needs time to prepare it and he's been too busy with jumping from job to another. Also, I'm not too keen on doing more self-humiliation ;)

---

-Drill Dozer (GBA)
-Naya's Quest (PC)