Author Topic: Shovel Knight (PC)  (Read 20600 times)

Offline TerraEsperZ

Shovel Knight (PC)
« on: July 29, 2014, 08:20:55 pm »
I'm afraid I'm likely not going to work further on this project, if only because separating the layers and the sprites has been a *massive* pain. We're talking close to a dozen hours for two (more like one and a half) stages. But I at least managed to get two maps out of it, so everybody wins?

These reveal all the secrets but I'll also be submitting versions with them hidden to the site.

Plains (of passage):

Village:
« Last Edit: February 05, 2017, 08:33:59 pm by TerraEsperZ »
Current project that are on hold because job burnout :
-Drill Dozer (GBA)
-Sonic 3D Blast (Genesis)
-Naya's Quest (PC)

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator
Re: Shovel Knight (PC)
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2014, 12:10:29 pm »
Awesome!  But that's really all you're going to do?  :/

I've finished this game a while ago but I was watching my brother play a bit last night, he only just started.  And early on there's that sort of bonus stage (the one where you use the phasing to get past the spikes) and I recall it uses the same tileset as the Plains Of Passage which you've already mapped, so shouldn't that be doable too?

And then the Troupple King area, well, that's just a single screen...

And the final area has a lot of darkness, so that should be easy too...

:P

Offline TerraEsperZ

« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2014, 02:33:59 pm »
Oh, I'm not definitely saying I won't do more, but I don't want to create expectations given my spotty track record *and* how fickle this game can be in certain aspects. For example, the game's actual resolution of 400 x 240 pixels is not always respected (some sprites on the map tended to be slightly distorted) and I have no idea if that might happen later in the game.

Some stages would definitely be easier like those you mentioned or the Hall of Champions where scrolling is not a problem. Others might be much harder depending on the ease of separating the background layers. All I'm saying is, let's wait and see.
Current project that are on hold because job burnout :
-Drill Dozer (GBA)
-Sonic 3D Blast (Genesis)
-Naya's Quest (PC)

Offline vorpal86

« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2014, 06:23:32 pm »
Well at least the first level and town are done. Perhaps there is too much paralax going on too. Unlike SNES you can't enable/disable layers at will. That would help a lot.

This game is cool. I just happened upon it today looking at this map. Hopefully you'll update more if perhaps finding a different approach to it. Maybe not. At any rate, not too bad.