Author Topic: Super Smash Bros. For Wii U: 50-Fact Extravaganza  (Read 11441 times)

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator
Super Smash Bros. For Wii U: 50-Fact Extravaganza
« on: October 24, 2014, 07:39:06 am »

Eight players and Ridley!  (I also like Metal Face, but no one I know has played Xenoblade Chronicles...hopefully that'll drum up interest in the New 3DS version.)

Are there still people uninterested in the Wii U?  Even after this?  Amazing that it can even crap on the 3DS version (which in itself is already pretty good).

(Sorry about the half-a-day lateness...)

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator
Re: Super Smash Bros. For Wii U: 50-Fact Extravaganza
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2014, 11:45:20 am »
Also relevant while also amusing, and reinforcing the figure-collecting craze.

I'm still curious how this will work in other games, and if there's a possibility of running out of space for data on the figures...

Offline Peardian

• Busy busy
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2014, 04:15:53 pm »
Yes yes yes yes yes!

I'm really looking forward to this.

The thing that surprises me most is how many incomplete features that Nintendo revealed. It's something indie developers do a lot now, but how many times does a big company like Nintendo say "here are features we won't have ready in time but expect them soon!" ?
MM (10%) - SMA3 (33%) - DNS (0%)

Come check out the Nintendo 64 Mapping Workshop!

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2014, 12:30:55 pm »
I don't know why people (like on GameTrailers.com, etc.) are hating on the amiibo promo.  I don't think it's bad.  I remember some cringe-worthy promos Nintendo has done in the past, like for Animal Crossing on the GameCube (over a decade ago, whoa!), but this one was actually cute, even if it's never made clear if Jack has a chance with Gina.  Okay, maybe the training as if Jack was like Mario and the "trust fall" part were lame, but overall, it works.  I would like to see more of how the amiibo will work in other games, so hopefully there are more videos, and even if it may mean the continuing adventures of Jack and Gina, I don't think I would mind if the necessary info gets across.

There are some reports about amiibo not quite looking like their prototype counterparts.  Worst of all is Link's support rod, which unlike the others' whose are clear, his is a translucent yellow - or gold, you know, like his NES and N64 cartridges - but also unfortunately the colour of urine, so it looks like he's taking a massive leak as it looks like it's from under his tunic.  Unfortunate, as it is one of the few amiibo I pre-ordered, but in the end it's going be used practically, more than as something to display.  Though I am still tempted, if only because other than the Mario and Pokémon characters, there really isn't a ton of collectible merchandise of the other Nintendo characters...

EDIT: Is plural for amiibo "amiibos" or "amiiboes" or simply "amiibo" or something else?  For whatever reason I seem to think it doesn't need an s, like moose, sheep, fish, or Pokémon species...but I'm not sure where I got that idea.  I suppose I could avoid it by saying "amiibo figures" or "amiibo figurines".  But then, is there a difference between "figure" and "figurine"?

EDIT 2: A quick Google search says that plural of "amiibo" is simply "amiibo".  Guess I didn't imagine that.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2022, 09:30:42 am by JonLeung »

Offline Peardian

• Busy busy
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2014, 07:53:49 pm »
I'd want those Amiibo figures even if they didn't have any sort of game functionality to them. Real life Smash Bros. trophies? Yes please! The fact that they can do stuff is just a bonus for me.

Not going to comment on the promo...

Fun fact: The Japanese name of Yin-Yarn (from Kirby's Epic Yarn) is Amiibo Amore.
MM (10%) - SMA3 (33%) - DNS (0%)

Come check out the Nintendo 64 Mapping Workshop!