Author Topic: The Flintstones: The Surprise at Dinosaur Peak (NES)  (Read 14403 times)

Offline TerraEsperZ

The Flintstones: The Surprise at Dinosaur Peak (NES)
« on: March 30, 2015, 09:07:36 pm »
I actually got a request by littlesamson702 to map the second NES Flintstones game a few days ago. I remember liking the first game enough way back when NES game rental was a thing and I never played the second one so I thought, why not? It's a relatively low challenge project, which is nice from time to time.

Note that for now, I haven't named the stages since some have official names (like Bedrock and Slate and Gravel) while others would be stuck with descriptive names like "Jungle" and "Sea". I'll see if I change my mind about that once the whole thing is done.

I've decided to name each stage in the end even if the names aren't all official. Who's going to care for such an obscure NES games anyway?

Stage 1: Bedrock

Stage 2: Jungle

Hockey Minigame

Stage 3: Mine

Stage 4: Sea

Stage 5: Slate and Gravel

Stage 6: Giant's House

Basketball Minigame

Stage 7: Witch's Tower

Stage 8: Pterodactyl Ride

Stage 9: Dinosaur Peak Exterior

Stage 10: Dinosaur Peak Interior

*EDIT*

All complete!

*EDIT 03/05/15*

As always, I have to do some tiny corrections *after* the maps have been posted. Turns out that the location for Stage 9 and 10 has a name mentioned in-game, that is the titular "Dinosaur Peak". It has now been fixed.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2015, 04:34:35 pm by TerraEsperZ »
Current project that are on hold because job burnout :
-Drill Dozer (GBA)
-Sonic 3D Blast (Genesis)
-Naya's Quest (PC)

Offline TerraEsperZ

Re: The Flintstones: The Surprise at Dinosaur Peak (NES)
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2015, 09:49:31 pm »
Updated the first post with the following maps:

-Stage 6: Giant's House
-Basketball Minigame
-Stage 7: Witch's Tower

I've also added names to all the previous maps as well as slightly altered the formatting of the borders and used custom background colours if for no other reason that to make each map a bit more unique. Oh, and make the borders of arrows more visible.
-Drill Dozer (GBA)
-Naya's Quest (PC)

Offline TerraEsperZ

« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2015, 09:44:50 pm »
So, the remaining three maps are done, but I'm obsessing somewhat over spacing and stuff like that, so I probably won't be posting them for a day or two.
-Drill Dozer (GBA)
-Naya's Quest (PC)

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2015, 08:55:35 am »
Ready when you are, for official submission!  Just email me when you're done.

For a licensed platforming game, this is actually a pretty decent game.  Too bad the actual cartridge is pretty rare and therefore expensive.  Though I also remember renting and enjoying the first Flintstones game.  If after this, you're still in the groove, I'd like to see that mapped too.  Or if you want to save it for later, that's cool too, would be nice to see both of them done eventually, and if by the same mapper there would be more consistent arranging/formatting.

Offline TerraEsperZ

« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2015, 09:18:44 am »
It's a strange game though. There are a couple of minor enemies that are only present once or twice in the entire game, which almost feels like a waste of programming and drawing skills. It's also relatively easy, except when it's suddenly not (like having to climb on top of a rope as Barney, jump up, switch to Fred with the Select button and then immediately grab a ledge). Or the last level where a stone wheel is chasing you and you have almost no margin for error. Anyway, it was at least interesting and a good use of the license.

And yeah, it'd be nice to do the first one as well, but I'd like to clear (or at least advance) a few other projects first. I'll try to have everything finished by tomorrow at the latest.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2015, 09:15:56 pm by TerraEsperZ »
-Drill Dozer (GBA)
-Naya's Quest (PC)

Offline TerraEsperZ

« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2015, 09:32:17 pm »
Updated the first post with updated versions of every existing maps plus these remaining maps:

-Stage 8: Pterodactyl Ride
-Stage 9: Volcano Exterior
-Stage 10: Volcano Interior

Like I said yesterday, I changed my mind (for the third time) about the spacing between areas and had to go over every map again. I'm finally happy about it too!

This project is finally complete and (hopefully) error-free, and I've submitted everything to JonLeung. Like I said, I might eventually tackle the first game, but not for several months at the earliest.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2015, 09:34:11 pm by TerraEsperZ »
-Drill Dozer (GBA)
-Naya's Quest (PC)

Offline vorpal86

« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2015, 02:07:46 pm »
This is nice. It's been a while I've been around but here I am.

The first game was pretty fun. These maps will come in handy. Sometimes I wonder if it's more fun - just as fun or better than actually playing the game. since, of course you need to play it to map it. I've always mapped the game as i played it for the first time so my play experience is quite different than actually having the full maps ready for you as you play for the first time.

Good work