Author Topic: Computer died! :(  (Read 11675 times)

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator
Computer died! :(
« on: March 31, 2015, 08:51:46 pm »
So last night I installed the just-released PC version of Dead Or Alive 5: Last Round.  Who would have guessed that it would indeed be the last round for my PC, as the hard drive is now dead (not alive).

No huge worry, I probably lost a number of saves for games I finished and likely wasn't getting back to.  I recently backed up personal photos and stuff, and of course I back up VGMaps on an external drive with every update, so no loss there.

I clumsily managed to upload the necessary files to get the April Maps Of The Month recognized by using my even older and slower laptop.  But updates may be set back a couple days until I get a new computer, because I really can't stand my laptop.

I also made a comment yesterday that a new gaming computer might be a good idea, since it's seven years old and I wondered how much longer I could expect it to keep being able to run the latest games.  Tempting fate did it, or else it just couldn't handle more than one night of DoA5:LR.

I'm now looking into new gaming PCs.  Whatever I choose will be good, but I am annoyed because I can tell it's going to be a pain reinstalling a bunch of stuff.  For VGMaps, I doubt I can continue using Microsoft FrontPage 2003.  Any suggestions for HTML editing, preferably free and WYSIWYG and compatible with Windows 7 Pro or Windows 8.1?

No, this is not an early April Fool's joke.  Certainly not a joke from me to anyone, just a cruel twist of fate on me.  I guess it was coming anyway, but with a number of things on my mind and recently feeling like I've been spending too much money, this comes at a challenging time.  Graagh!

Offline TerraEsperZ

Re: Computer died! :(
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2015, 10:00:31 pm »
I feel your pain, though thankfully little seems to have been lost. It took me losing two hard drives unexpectedly (and weeks of work) before I started backing up stuff regularly.

As for a new PC, I've also been looking to put together a new gaming PC but being the master of procrastination, I've yet to actually make up my mind about the actual parts I'd like to buy. And I've been thinking about it for about two years... so chances are that my current PC will die on me before I'm forced to act.

But going back to your situation, hopefully this doesn't ruin your finances :(.
Current project that are on hold because job burnout :
-Drill Dozer (GBA)
-Sonic 3D Blast (Genesis)
-Naya's Quest (PC)

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2015, 08:08:25 am »
I wouldn't say my finances are ruined, but for the past week I had a number of unexpected purchases, almost every day.  They ranged from little things like learning that the rare(?) gold Mario amiibo were suddenly available at Best Buy and having to scramble on the web site to order one before they sold out in like two minutes, to larger things like learning that Peter Cullen (the voice of Optimus Prime) is coming to the Calgary Expo (which is already next week!) and having to buy tickets and arrange to be able to make the trip down there.  Obviously, buying a brand new computer with modern specs is one of the larger expenses too.  It's all stuff I would likely purchase at any time of the year, and we'd need a new computer at some point, I'm just annoyed they all happened in the same week and with unexpected urgency.

But now maybe it is good that my computer died when it did.  While waiting for the new one to arrive I've been pretty busy anyway that I might not be able to update anyway.  I suppose I could try to do some of it on my agonizingly slow laptop late at night.  But even if I can't, I'm sure you guys can hang on for another few days or a week.  I'll update the new page when I can since it needs to be said up there.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2015, 11:48:10 am by JonLeung »

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2015, 03:57:13 pm »
Still waiting...if it doesn't come tonight, chances are I won't be able to update until next week.  It will probably take a whole evening to reinstall everything I feel I need, perhaps more if I have to find new versions compatible with Windows 8.1, so if I get it tomorrow, I won't be ready until Wednesday, but then I'll have to get ready for my Calgary trip.  I will be gone Thursday-Sunday in Calgary for the aforementioned Calgary Expo.  Like I said, I could try to update with my outdated laptop, but that feels like an exercise in frustration.  Maybe I should at least update the front page to let people that I'm behind and to hang tight for just a bit longer!

So am I going to like Windows 8.1?  Will it have its own areas of frustration?

Offline TerraEsperZ

« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2015, 05:13:50 pm »
Well, I have Windows 8.1 at work, and it's nice enough. I hate the Tiles menu but you don't have to use it since the Desktop is back. We're limited in what we can do though so I have no real in-depth knowledge to share. However, just like you, every new version of Windows makes it more likely that a program I'm dependant on will no longer work, with the very real possibility of there being no acceptable substitute.

If I can give you a bit of advice, once Windows and the programs you use most have been installed and are working correctly, think about making a clean backup image of your brand new system. I know I will. Even though I haven't actually had to reinstall my OS since I bought my present computer (a first), it probably would have helped in keeping everything working faster and more smoothly as my poor old Vista is gradually slowing to a crawl (almost literally).
Current project that are on hold because job burnout :
-Drill Dozer (GBA)
-Sonic 3D Blast (Genesis)
-Naya's Quest (PC)

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2015, 08:52:45 am »
New computer is pretty sweet.  And I am still able to use the programs I want to use.  I think I should be on track to get caught up with current submissions by April 23 as expected.

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2015, 08:49:55 am »
Well, now it's not likely that I'll have EVERYTHING submitted from the past three weeks put up today.  Submissions never slow down, and I haven't exactly had any extra time to catch up.

I wanted to have a big(gish) update today, but it's probably only going to be half the submissions I've gotten so far.  No point having just one large update for the sake of having a big singular release, because it would be unfair to further delay the maps I got earlier just because of more recent submissions.

I know I shouldn't be complaining about maps that keep coming in.  It's just an odd time for me, with obligations on all fronts lately (family, work, church, personal projects, Nintendo Quest screening, VGMaps).  Ridiculous, even.  I think if everyone can hang on a few more days, I may be able to both catch up (at least with VGMaps.com) and regain some sanity, though I still expect to be busy for a while yet.

But yes, like I said, I will do my best to get SOME of the submissions up this evening.

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2015, 04:56:57 pm »
Well, I think I'm caught up now...phew!  I still have other work to do, but submissions-wise with VGMaps.com, I can breathe...for now...