Author Topic: Marble-Man Marble Madness 2  (Read 40596 times)

Offline GHS

Marble-Man Marble Madness 2
« on: April 30, 2015, 08:48:52 am »
I'm thinking about doing a Marble Madness 2 map compiled from a video since there is no emulation.
I have attempted to contact Scott Evans the owner of the MM2 machines through his youtube site. So now I'm waiting for a reply.
If anyone know a better way to contact him let me know.

What do all of you think, wast of time or worth a try?

I found a youtube vid of some levels that I compiled in to 3 maps. the video was low quality.

Offline TerraEsperZ

Re: Marble-Man Marble Madness 2
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2015, 10:49:37 am »
Marble Madness is a game that I loved so much (the NES version that is), I was always sad that it was so short, and that it never got a sequel. I know game players always craved innovation, but I feel that the concept could have made for hundreds of fun and challenging levels.

Regarding the sequel, it's yet one more unreleased game that is, to this day, lost to the public. It would be great if you got a reply that could lead to a ROM dump being made public or something like that. At this point in time, nobody benefits from a prototype remaining in the hands of a single person (except that person I guess). I wish you luck in getting a positive response.
Current project that are on hold because job burnout :
-Drill Dozer (GBA)
-Sonic 3D Blast (Genesis)
-Naya's Quest (PC)

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2015, 12:44:52 pm »
My question is, why has it not been emulated yet?

If it seems unlikely that it will ever be (though why, I don't understand at the moment), and this is the only means we have of seeing the maps, go for it.

This would probably not be categorized as either "ripped" or "original", but rather as "captured", like in my Resident Evil maps which were probably among the first maps I ever made, but as you can see, it was kind of a crappy capture card.  Its categorization is a minor point, though.

I suppose any exposure, little as it is, would add more to the overall global interest level in this game (however much or little it currently is), that it might eventually lead to finding a dump and/or a more direct means of mapping it.  Though if it is ever cleanly mapped, I think I would have to replace these video captures.

Remember how a few years ago, TenguMan mapped a few stages of Mega Man 9 by recreating tiles that he saw from gameplay videos before the game was released?  Impressive as his recreation was, his maps were eventually replaced by Revned's cleaner direct rips.  That's how I imagine these would be, but until that direct means is possible, I can certainly accept captures.

Offline GHS

« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2015, 07:17:50 am »
so far no answer :(
I just sent an email to the CAX (California Extreme "Classic Arcade Games Show") since Scott  is a member and take his machines there.
Lets see if they will get me in contact with him.
Wish me luck! :-\

Offline GHS

« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2015, 05:08:17 am »
I got a reply from CAX. they said they would foreword my message to Scott but still no answer. It will probably take some time because they say he is very busy.

In the meantime I will update the maps for Cadash arcade.

Offline GHS

« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2015, 06:16:24 pm »
I got my answer and its a no. It seems the guy is too busy and does not have time to do a video capture of the game.
So I guess that's that.the project is over. :(

Offline GHS

« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2015, 06:05:25 am »
My question is, why has it not been emulated yet?
the answer I got was this. "The reason is simple:  IP.  Access to unreleased games requires a level of trust on the part of many key sources, and maintaining that trust is important.  If something comes with a restriction, it has to be honored."
That's IP, patent, copyright laws (aka monopolies) for you. 

Offline Maxim

« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2015, 09:19:55 am »
That's rubbish. Collectors of very rare stuff like to know that nobody else has it, they feel that copies devalue their trophy. Collectors of hardware often look down on emulation (as in, they will not play unless they have an original physical copy) which doesn't help.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2015, 09:21:10 am by Maxim »

Offline GHS

« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2015, 12:31:18 pm »
I know Maxim. It sucks.
Even if it never gets emulated at the least a full play through video and map would be enough for some one to make a port of it.
I don't think that would compromise his word to his sources or devalue the game.
Would it?

Offline FlyingArmor

« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2015, 12:29:12 pm »
That's really silly. One of the main reasons so many people cling to copyright is so that they can (in their minds) maximize their revenue. The company that developed the game has not and probably never will make any money from it, so from this stand point, not allowing it to be copied isn't helping that company benefit monetarily at all.

Also as far as value goes, a work gains value the more it is spread and enjoyed by people. Value is something that people give to things, whether it be an object, book, video game, etc. It doesn't have it intrinsically. An unpublished manuscript to a book that's locked up in a safe some place doesn't have all that much value to people who don't know about its existence, does it?

Having the game data copied doesn't take away from the physicality of the game machine. That game is a one-of-a-kind, unique, physical object that no amount of digital copying could ever hope to rob away from it.

So if we really have to wait 100 or so years from now for the game to finally enter the public domain, and  within that time span it turns out that the data has decayed and it utterly unrecoverable, then we will have lost a unique piece of video game culture forever, and it will be solely because of that one man's stubbornness in adhering to a field of law that is losing relevance with each passing day.

I could go on and on, but I'll leave it at that. :)

Offline Maxim

« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2015, 03:39:27 pm »
Most likely it has been dumped, for "value protection" purposes, by a "trusted" person. It will eventually come to light, but maybe only when the current owner needs the money or dies.

Offline FlyingArmor

« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2015, 10:02:41 pm »
Yeah, that's possible too. Either way, it ain't helping us any.

Offline GHS

« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2015, 11:45:17 am »
While searching for the MM2 I read on line that the rom was dumped and in the MAME wip drivers and not released, but that's all hearsay.
If only some one could go to CAX and record a full video play through to put it online. Maybe I might be able to compile a map of it. Maybe, but the video quality would have to be very good.

Offline GHS

« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2015, 07:37:46 am »
it just occurred to me. If he is too busy why not have a trusted friend do the video capture? I mean what would they need a PC  TV-tuner and arcade supergun? How big of a deal is it to get a video capture of the game and put it online? From what I was told he did it before (but in poor quality).

Offline GHS

« Reply #14 on: May 08, 2016, 01:48:37 pm »
I have decided to try one more time with MM2 by trying to confirm the rumor about it in being in the  MAME wip drivers by contacting the mamedev team. And if so asked them for the games maps.
Lets see if they reply.