Author Topic: Mega Man ZX Area I help.  (Read 8492 times)

Offline verifiaman

Mega Man ZX Area I help.
« on: November 01, 2015, 08:31:04 pm »
I finally figured out how to use GIMP to help me take level tiles from the PSX Mega MAn games. I have no trouble using Desmume's map viewer for the ZX and zx advent series tiles. all except for Area I. the black alpha channel is prevalent in the map viewer and when i try to remove the black from the background, it removes the black from the level tiles too. this is only a problem with the outdoor rain tiles, since I can easily take those tiles without any problem. Can anyone explain how to change the alpha channels for the level backgrounds?

Offline Trop

Re: Mega Man ZX Area I help.
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2015, 03:00:48 pm »
Have you tired messing with View Layers at the bottom of the Tools menu?  Or, heaven forbid, the thousands of choices under view tiles?

I've never messed with the cheat search but I know Desmume has one.  Here's my technique for fixing background black:

Start a code search.  Do something to make the screen light up and as soon as it changes color do another code search to see what's changed.  Do this a bunch and hopefully you'll find a code that controls background color.  Even if you can only change the color of the foreground or sprites it can still work since they can silhouette each other.

Offline verifiaman

Re: Mega Man ZX Area I help.
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2015, 11:02:35 pm »
I see. Does anyone know a random palette changing cheat so i can start? The only info i can get is that nearly all the levels in this and the sequel use extended slot 2, mode 0 D8011F18 000066F2

And i took out all the files in the ZX rom but i cant find anything resembling a map file, nor do i understand these overlay files. Area I is the only level i have trouble ripping.