Author Topic: 2016/12: Kirby's Adventure (NES) - Will Mallia  (Read 11465 times)

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator
2016/12: Kirby's Adventure (NES) - Will Mallia
« on: November 30, 2016, 09:43:29 pm »

For this month's "Maps Of The Month" featurette, I wish to draw your attention to Will Mallia's Kirby's Adventure (NES) maps.

King Dedede appears to be stirring up trouble in Dream Land again by stealing the Star Rod and dividing it into seven pieces which are protected by his allies.  With the inhabitants of Dream Land now unable to dream, Kirby sets forth on an adventure to recover and restore the Star Rod to return it to the Fountain Of Dreams.

Did you manage to get one of the hottest items this holiday season?  No, not a Hatchimal...  I'm talking about the NES Classic Edition, of course!  Of the thirty classic 8-bit NES games built into it, Kirby's Adventure is the one that was released latest for the original hardware.  It's also the game that was most recently mapped, and now VGMaps.com is your source for all of the maps for all of the games on the NES Classic Edition!  An entire console mapped, wow!

Kirby's Adventure made it onto the short list for the NES Classics Edition because, well, it's one of the best NES games ever!  Just play it!  Great gameplay, great graphics, and it's just a whole lot of fun playing as Kirby (previously in Kirby's Dream Land for the Game Boy, but here in his console debut).  It introduces Kirby's power-absorbing ability, so it's a pretty big deal.  And speaking of big, it's one of the biggest NES games too, at six megabits!

So to recognize the effort put into mapping the last huge Nintendo-published NES game, Will Mallia's Kirby's Adventure (NES) maps will be known as VGMaps.com's Maps Of The Month for December 2016.

Offline Will

Re: 2016/12: Kirby's Adventure (NES) - Will Mallia
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2016, 09:02:38 am »
My favourite of Kirby's powers was the Beam Ability, which I used most of the time to access secrets and protect Kirby from foes. The Rainbow Resort wasn't what I expected in a video game like this, because I felt the stages of the last level were straightforward, not creative enough and not difficult enough to be a penultimate level. The numerous bonus games certainly gave variety in Kirby's Adventure. Full-time work and putting the mapping project aside, certainly did get this game mapped longer than it could have been, but in the end, I'm happy for this game to be chosen for this Christmas month.

Offline Peardian

• Busy busy
Re: 2016/12: Kirby's Adventure (NES) - Will Mallia
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2016, 09:32:57 pm »
I love Kirby's Adventure!

One of my first mapping-related activities was related to it. I didn't know anything about emulation, so I tried copying graphics off of the big fuzzy CRT television into Paint. I also didn't know much about game graphics, so I tried counting the pixels and thought that each tile was 14 pixels wide. I made a replica of the entire second room of Rainbow Resort 1 before realizing that the tiles were actually 16x16 instead.
MM (10%) - SMA3 (33%) - DNS (0%)

Come check out the Nintendo 64 Mapping Workshop!