Author Topic: VGMaps.com Atlas Project: Castlevania: Symphony Of The Night (PSX)  (Read 307023 times)

Offline TerraEsperZ

RE: VGMaps.com Atlas Project: Castlevania: Symphony Of The Night (PSX)
« Reply #15 on: September 01, 2006, 11:02:03 am »
Thanks a lot for the OpenGL settings. This will be a big help in moving foward on this project.

And regarding the fix, I'm sure you remember my opinion on that right ;) ?

But seriously, 'Aria Of Sorrow' has the exact same type of gaps where vertical room transitions take place and I also thought about filling them in but I decided not too. Ultimately, a lot of those passages would require me to insert platforms that aren't there since the fixed maps would show passages too high for the player to travel upward through them.

I'm also really not looking foward to maps with special backgrounds like moving clouds or the 3D Chapel interior. There's just no way we'll manage those easily. It would be cool if I knew enough about Direct3D to write a little program to render those backgrounds in such a way as too cover the entire rooms with an acceptable perspective throughout.

---

"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably." [...] The first time any man's freedom is trodden on, we're all damaged. - Captain Jean-Luc Picard

B*tch, meet reality. Reality, meet b*tch. - Me
Current project that are on hold because job burnout :
-Drill Dozer (GBA)
-Sonic 3D Blast (Genesis)
-Naya's Quest (PC)

Offline mephea

« Reply #16 on: September 01, 2006, 12:34:53 pm »
i would help but i need an actual working ps emulator and a place to get roms...wth an explanation of how to work them O_O

Offline TerraEsperZ

« Reply #17 on: September 01, 2006, 01:44:26 pm »
Unless someone gives you a starter course in Playstation emulation before then, I'll try and tell you everything you need to know but it won't be until after this weekend.

---

"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably." [...] The first time any man's freedom is trodden on, we're all damaged. - Captain Jean-Luc Picard

-Drill Dozer (GBA)
-Naya's Quest (PC)

Offline wileee

« Reply #18 on: September 01, 2006, 02:31:32 pm »
I'll chime in here as well. Probably won't get much help from me, but I do have a good portion of the "Alchemy Room" finished as well as the background for that area.

I also have a separate file of just the background for the library tho, I don't think it's used anywhere else in the game.

Offline TerraEsperZ

« Reply #19 on: September 01, 2006, 02:53:34 pm »
Good to see you too Wileee! Of course, with a project this crazy, any help is greatly appreciated :)

---

-Drill Dozer (GBA)
-Naya's Quest (PC)

Offline Revned

« Reply #20 on: September 01, 2006, 02:59:16 pm »
Many thanks, Ed. You never had any problems with the screen getting distorted with those settings? Terra and I were worried that even if we manually set the resolution, we'd still have problems. If they worked fine for you, though, I think we're set to get started. Also, can we plan on using the rooms you've already done in our final map, or do you want us to redo them ourselves? Hopefully we wouldn't have any palette conflicts.

Wileee: sounds great. This project seems much less daunting when we hear from more than just ourselves.

I have a long weekend home, so I'm going to try to organize things in the next couple of days. I'll set up some guidelines and put them in the first post, as well as all the emulator settings. Jon, can you please remove the "Proposed" from the title and move this to the "In Progress" board?

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator
« Reply #21 on: September 01, 2006, 05:59:47 pm »
It's been moved as per your requests, since I approve of this.

I'd suggest maps for each named area, then a map for each whole castle, and, if not too obscenely large, a map showing both castles.  o_0

I expect that as an official VGMaps.com Atlas Project that each map will have the VGMaps.com logo (I have high-res versions of the compass logo somewhere, I'm sure) and some kind of header saying so - and meant to be exclusive to VGMaps.com.  If wileee and Edsword get involved as it sounds like they will, we may work around that exclusivity a little if they'd like their hard work on their own site, which is understandable.  How's screenshotmaps.com doing, BTW?

Offline Revned

« Reply #22 on: September 01, 2006, 06:23:39 pm »
Thanks! Yes, I'll make sure to put the logo in, but all that header stuff can wait. We'll have to see how things work out, but I think it would be a waste to have both castles separate and also together. One or the other, but not both. I calculated yesterday that each castle will be about 16000x9000 pixels.

Offline TerraEsperZ

« Reply #23 on: September 01, 2006, 10:53:19 pm »
I think that his settings are perfect for the game proper, but the title screen, menus and intro text screen all use a different resolution.

---

-Drill Dozer (GBA)
-Naya's Quest (PC)

Offline Revned

« Reply #24 on: September 01, 2006, 11:57:28 pm »
Oh, it didn't even occur to me that the same game would use multiple resolutions. Looks like it's working fine, then. Check out the random hallway I just put together:

User posted image

Offline TerraEsperZ

« Reply #25 on: September 02, 2006, 12:10:41 am »
Doors like the one on the left I think look best when the dark parts on the red outline are on the same height on both sides (if that makes sense). At least that's how I'm doing it in Harmony and it's an easy way to remember how to make them all look the same.

---

-Drill Dozer (GBA)
-Naya's Quest (PC)

Offline Revned

« Reply #26 on: September 02, 2006, 01:14:03 pm »
Here's another:

User posted image

These really aren't very hard to do when you don't have to worry about the backgrounds. I haven't even used GLIntercept yet.

Offline TerraEsperZ

« Reply #27 on: September 02, 2006, 02:59:17 pm »
Dracula's ceremonial chamber in Symphony looks so much better than in Harmony despite being based on the same layout and look it's frightening.

I haven't started mapping anything yet unfortunately. Try not to do too much until I can start monday evening :)

---

-Drill Dozer (GBA)
-Naya's Quest (PC)

Offline Revned

« Reply #28 on: September 02, 2006, 03:15:29 pm »
Don't worry about it. I'm not expecting much from anyone in the short term.

Offline TerraEsperZ

« Reply #29 on: September 02, 2006, 08:36:59 pm »
According to my calculations, that room is the correct width but should be 256 + 256 + 207 = 719 pixels high. It isn't simply because you can't make it scroll down far enough. I can't be 100% sure for Symphony, but my alignment calculations proved right for every GBA Castlevania game so far, and for Symphony's Library (Edsword's map theoritically has a few places that should be filled, like the bottom of the save room and the bottom of the middle shaft which should end on the same level as the rooms on both sides. In any case, I'll report more once I started mapping myself.

---

-Drill Dozer (GBA)
-Naya's Quest (PC)