Author Topic: VGMaps.com Atlas Project: Castlevania: Symphony Of The Night (PSX)  (Read 307095 times)

Offline Revned

RE: VGMaps.com Atlas Project: Castlevania: Symphony Of The Night (PSX)
« Reply #30 on: September 02, 2006, 08:47:12 pm »
I did delete the black bars from the top and bottom. Maybe they were supposed to be there?  They sure didn't look like it, and none of he other rooms mapped so far had them....

Offline TerraEsperZ

« Reply #31 on: September 02, 2006, 10:34:51 pm »
I just rechecked, and the same thing happened for the ceremonial chamber in Harmony, and I also needed to fill it with the solid color of the ground.

---

"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably." [...] The first time any man's freedom is trodden on, we're all damaged. - Captain Jean-Luc Picard

B*tch, meet reality. Reality, meet b*tch. - Me
Current project that are on hold because job burnout :
-Drill Dozer (GBA)
-Sonic 3D Blast (Genesis)
-Naya's Quest (PC)

Offline Revned

« Reply #32 on: September 03, 2006, 11:05:50 am »
And now for a bigger section:

User posted image

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator
« Reply #33 on: September 03, 2006, 11:13:28 am »
Sweetness!

You guys ought to get some guidelines in place - you wouldn't want to have to resynchronize a bunch of candles and other animations!

Offline Revned

« Reply #34 on: September 03, 2006, 12:30:22 pm »
Yeah, I'm going to do that sometime this weekend. I'm sick, though :(

Offline TerraEsperZ

« Reply #35 on: September 03, 2006, 01:31:28 pm »
Revned said:
Yeah, I'm going to do that sometime this weekend. I'm sick, though :(

Weclome to the club buddy. I've been coughing and sneezing non-stop (and I really mean *non-stop*) for the last two days.

There are going to be a lot of things to agree on regarding animated tiles and objects: doors, candles, water surface, moving platforms. Also, we'll have to agree on how to handle moving backgrounds like the clouds in the Royal chapel.

---

"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably." [...] The first time any man's freedom is trodden on, we're all damaged. - Captain Jean-Luc Picard

-Drill Dozer (GBA)
-Naya's Quest (PC)

Offline Revned

« Reply #36 on: September 03, 2006, 01:49:45 pm »
My allergies were really bad yesterday. My eyes were so sore I could hardly focus them. I took some medicine that cleared that up somewhat, but I've got a stuffed nose and a sore throat. I'm still having trouble focusing my eyes, so I can't do the same thing for long periods of time. Hopefully both of us will get better soon...

Yeah, we're going to have to deal with some of those later. I'm going to show some common animated tiles in the first post later. I added a whole list of basic guidelines, if you didn't notice.

Go ahead, Terra, but you might have trouble with those backgrounds...

Offline TerraEsperZ

« Reply #37 on: September 03, 2006, 03:14:21 pm »
I'll concentrate on capturing the foreground and simply remove the background for now, if I can damn nose can stop dripping long enough for me to actually map a little >:(

---

-Drill Dozer (GBA)
-Naya's Quest (PC)

Offline DarkWolf

« Reply #38 on: September 04, 2006, 11:14:32 am »
Hey Terra, did you ever get the first stage squared away?

http://garoux.net/temp/draculax/

Offline TerraEsperZ

« Reply #39 on: September 04, 2006, 03:13:47 pm »
I haven't worked on it further yet. Good work on your end, which I assume you did with the Saturn version of the game, "Norturne In The Moonlight".  Unfortunately, it's unusable for our project since   the graphics are badly stretched (and the palette has a chance of being ever so slightly different too). If you want though, you could try and work on the PSX version with us. Any new participants would be welcome :)

---

-Drill Dozer (GBA)
-Naya's Quest (PC)

Offline DarkWolf

« Reply #40 on: September 04, 2006, 07:49:49 pm »
I didn't bother to see if those lined up with the PSX version or not, but I thought they may be of some use.  I haven't noticed much difference in the backgrounds, but then again I haven't played through very far.  The 3d clock tower definitely looks better in the PSX version.  Perhaps I'll do some closer comparison later.  I have to finish Granada for the X68k first.

Offline wileee

« Reply #41 on: September 05, 2006, 11:16:18 am »
Here's a link to what I have for the Alchemy Room. It's been a while since I did this but I'm pretty sure there is some custom pixel work between the rooms. Also the candles aren't syncronized.

Some challenges I remember with this room is that there are a ton of ornimentals around. These are actually on the foreground so the parallex background is behind them. Loads of nitpickey pixel removal there.

http://www.screenshotmaps.com/Maps/castlevaniasotn-ps1/AlchemyRoom09-05-06.png

Offline Revned

« Reply #42 on: September 05, 2006, 03:29:50 pm »
Thanks, wileee. Here are a few smaller rooms:

User posted image

User posted image

User posted image

User posted image

Offline TerraEsperZ

« Reply #43 on: September 06, 2006, 04:05:55 pm »
What should be do with wall that can be destroyed to reveal hidden items or exits leading to secret rooms?

---

-Drill Dozer (GBA)
-Naya's Quest (PC)

Offline Revned

« Reply #44 on: September 06, 2006, 06:22:40 pm »
I'd show them in their destroyed state, but I'm not sure what to do with the items. What do you think?

Terra, is that 49 pixels from the top or bottom of the screen? Is it both? Because if it is, I think we might have alignment problems. I'm trying to make a template for the full map so we can just paste the rooms in as we map them. It looks like each castle will be 15360x12032. A bit taller than my original estimate.