Author Topic: VGMaps.com Atlas Project: Castlevania: Symphony Of The Night (PSX)  (Read 307146 times)

Offline Revned

RE: VGMaps.com Atlas Project: Castlevania: Symphony Of The Night (PSX)
« Reply #120 on: September 19, 2006, 07:57:45 pm »
She has it right.

I'm almost done removing the backgrounds to the big room at the top of the map. It was really time consuming, but it looks great.

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator
« Reply #121 on: September 19, 2006, 08:40:53 pm »
osrevad says "Hi".

He also says it's neat that a VGMaps.com Atlas Project is going on again.

I think it's really great that wileee, Zeric, mephea, and Edsword are involved.  Next thing you know, J.J. Maxx will be back.  >_>

Offline mephea

« Reply #122 on: September 19, 2006, 09:23:14 pm »
yes terra, that's how they are.  I was a bit confused as to why, but eh, that's just the way it is i guess.

I will be playing the game and fishing out the easy spots.  Maybe i will get most of them so you guys can focus on that hard shit.

Offline TerraEsperZ

« Reply #123 on: September 19, 2006, 10:03:15 pm »
Well, have fun for me because I won't be mapping this game much for a while. I'm trying to get back to Harmony and will probably only finish the first Bell Tower since it's almost completed anyway.

---

"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably." [...] The first time any man's freedom is trodden on, we're all damaged. - Captain Jean-Luc Picard

B*tch, meet reality. Reality, meet b*tch. - Me
Current project that are on hold because job burnout :
-Drill Dozer (GBA)
-Sonic 3D Blast (Genesis)
-Naya's Quest (PC)

Offline mephea

« Reply #124 on: September 20, 2006, 04:19:12 am »
noooo terra!~  dont leave us! :(

Offline TerraEsperZ

« Reply #125 on: September 20, 2006, 06:33:42 am »
I'll still drop by every now and then, but I won't be actively mapping for a while. I have to finish Harmony (and prove JonLeung wrong on my inability to finish projects!) and I still have something like 48% of the game still left to do.

---

"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably." [...] The first time any man's freedom is trodden on, we're all damaged. - Captain Jean-Luc Picard

-Drill Dozer (GBA)
-Naya's Quest (PC)

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator
« Reply #126 on: September 20, 2006, 12:51:13 pm »
Geez, Terra, you don't have to prove (or disprove) anything to me.

I mean, if you really wanted to prove me wrong on your inability to finish projects, you'd have finished Treasure Master ages ago.  >_>

Anyway, good luck with Harmony Of Dissonance if you're working on that instead.  I'll certainly accept as many of Dracula's Castles as possible.  :)

Offline TerraEsperZ

« Reply #127 on: September 20, 2006, 02:22:01 pm »
One day JonLeung, one day...

And yeah, I'd like to finish Harmony Of Dissonance as soon as possible. After all, there's still Aria Of Sorrow left to do which is a single castle where the map isn't screwed up and there are parts of it which remind me a lot of Harmony (like a water-filled series of caves as well as an underground cemetary). Oh yeah, and after those, there are still my Circle Of The Moon maps, stalled at about 45% of the whole game. They need to be finished too :)

---

-Drill Dozer (GBA)
-Naya's Quest (PC)

Offline Dan

« Reply #128 on: September 20, 2006, 06:42:20 pm »
I wish I could help you guys in this project, but I'm in the process of moving out of my parents' house, so I'm pretty busy right now and it'll probably be a while until I get a computer at my new place.  Good luck though; I'll be keeping up with the progress regardless of my input :P

Offline mephea

« Reply #129 on: September 21, 2006, 08:02:01 am »
http://img242.imageshack.us/my.php?image=23x27ymepheagn9.png

i know it isnt finished, but its mostly finished! the coordinates are 23,x - 27,y

Offline wileee

« Reply #130 on: September 25, 2006, 11:35:53 am »
So I spent some time messing around with the cloud background in that last room that I did. (I know the moon is "in front" of the clouds on this image but I was just experimenting.

What do you think?

http://www.screenshotmaps.com/Maps/castlevaniasotn-ps1/bridgeroom09-22-06.png

Offline Revned

« Reply #131 on: September 25, 2006, 01:11:31 pm »
I don't know, it looks a bit too tiled to me, but it might be the best we can do. I wish these backgrounds fit together better. Did you just use the existing graphics, or did you do any custom drawing? I tried some custom stuff in one of Terra's room that looked good, but it annoyed him greatly.

Offline wileee

« Reply #132 on: September 25, 2006, 01:46:03 pm »
I ran into some problems with the clouds. I extracted them using the GLIntercept thing.

The clouds are actually 4 128x36 tiles that can be assembled into a 128x128 tile. The problem is that those tiles repeat HORIZONTALLY ONLY. When playing the game the same clouds are visible all the time. So there literally aren't any graphics that vertically exceed the screen.

Here is a link to some samples.

http://www.screenshotmaps.com/Maps/castlevaniasotn-ps1/bkgsamples.htm

Sample 1) Custom 256x256 clouds repeated.

Sample 2) Actual 128x128 clouds repeated.

Sample 3) One row of custom clouds with a solid color background above that.

Well, for starters, those are some options we can discuss.

Sorry, I can't post any links yet. I just can't afford to "buy" that ability right now.

Offline TerraEsperZ

« Reply #133 on: September 25, 2006, 02:40:42 pm »
I think in this case, Sample 1 works best. The clouds obviously repeat themselves but I like the way that it gives the impression of there being several cloud layers. Sample 2 just plain looks wrong and Sample 3 is too empty to me.

For the final background, if it's possible to do so, you might try and actually use a transparency layer for the clouds, which would look just like in the game, especially in the area of the moon. It's just a suggestion though, so don't waste too much time on it.

As for Revned's custom work in one of my room, it annoyed me only because I knew it was a 'hack' and nowhere near a true repetition but I've accepted that such a repetition is impossible to achieve without cheating.

---

-Drill Dozer (GBA)
-Naya's Quest (PC)

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator
« Reply #134 on: October 07, 2006, 10:26:08 pm »
It's been almost a couple weeks.  How's it going?